LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 215 users in the forums

is jadeveon clowney worth a kings ransom?

We have Aldon Smith we need to keep our draft picks we have alot of free agents in the next couple of years....Rodgers Whitner Brown Manningham Boldin Nnamdi J.Smith then Kap,Crabtree,A Smith,Culliver,Iupati,A.Davis so No
I've commented on Trading our 31st for a first next yearin hopes of getting Clowney.

The real question is who to trade with. The Jags are absolutely pathetic as are the Raiders. Right beind them are the Browns maybe the Bills. I'm CERTAIN there is some team that will fit the bill as terrible.

I'd NEVER give a whole draft for any one player - IMO stupid and I couldn't see Baalke going that route. He finds way too many under the radar players who come in and play at a high level.

That said, getting Clowney would be added insurance in case we can't resign Aldon. Let's face it we have a number of players coming up for new contracts and we can't resign everyone.
trade our 1st to buffalo or the jets for their 3rd this yr and their 1st next yr. they're going to want to draft a QB for the future and they might want Barkley/Nassib
Originally posted by allhype:
Him or the Black Mamba from Oregon. Dude is ELECTRIC (B. Mamba)!!!

Dont need him, got LaMichael James, they are a like IMO.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I've commented on Trading our 31st for a first next yearin hopes of getting Clowney.

The real question is who to trade with. The Jags are absolutely pathetic as are the Raiders. Right beind them are the Browns maybe the Bills. I'm CERTAIN there is some team that will fit the bill as terrible.

I'd NEVER give a whole draft for any one player - IMO stupid and I couldn't see Baalke going that route. He finds way too many under the radar players who come in and play at a high level.

That said, getting Clowney would be added insurance in case we can't resign Aldon. Let's face it we have a number of players coming up for new contracts and we can't resign everyone.

Is it really that stupid though? We have 13 picks THIS year and will have more than 7 next year. We ALREADY have a lot of young talent that cannot get on the field, we dont need to draft players who wont even make the team.

You dont think its worth having Clowney team up with Aldon? Think about it for a second..
Originally posted by 49ersOnMINE:
Originally posted by allhype:
Him or the Black Mamba from Oregon. Dude is ELECTRIC (B. Mamba)!!!

Dont need him, got LaMichael James, they are a like IMO.

De'Anthony is not like James. Thomas is even further along the same spectrum (faster, quicker, smaller, weaker), but he's also more versatile. He might draw similar hype as Tavon Austin in this draft as a flat-out playmaker.
I've thought about it and still think it's stupid.

Falcons traded a bundle to get Julio and DID NOT go to the Super Bowl - we did. And news flash to them - we're going again next year and they aren't.

Giving up the whole draft - I keep thinking Hershall Walker trade, Ricki Williams trade - not smart at all.

That said, I'd love to get Clowney and if anyone could work a trade into next season to get him - I'd be confident in Baalke.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I've thought about it and still think it's stupid.

Falcons traded a bundle to get Julio and DID NOT go to the Super Bowl - we did. And news flash to them - we're going again next year and they aren't.

Giving up the whole draft - I keep thinking Hershall Walker trade, Ricki Williams trade - not smart at all.

That said, I'd love to get Clowney and if anyone could work a trade into next season to get him - I'd be confident in Baalke.

Lol they didn't get to the Super Bowl but it got them farther with Julio than they were without him. I'm trying to understand your position, but you just keep saying its stupid. Can you tell me why you think we would benefit more from a full draft than one guaranteed stud?

I say guaranteed in the sense that sometimes there are once in a generation type players who are simply too talented to not succeed (ala Calvin Johnson). Assuming his heads on straight, which it seems like it is thus far
  • kem99
  • Veteran
The answer to your question is...no, he is not worth a whole draft or a "king's ransom.". In today's NFL, only "franchise QBs" at the top of round 1 are worth that kind of return. Without the QB, you are not going to contend or be relevant consistently. The 49ers have their QB, the key is keeping the team around him strong and replacing players as they get older and too expensive. That's what the Patriots have done for the last 10+ years. That's the model the 49ers are following. Assuming he stays healthy and continues to play as he has to date, of course it would be great to be able to get Clowney but not at the kind of cost you are talking about. When was the last trade of the kind you are imagining for a non-QB work out well for the team giving up the bounty of draft picks? Not Ricky Williams. Maybe Julio Jones but the Falcons did not have to get up to the top 3 and have some holes and lack of depth due in part to that deal.
Nobody has a real argument against it lol. You can say its a bad idea all you want but give reasons. It's not like we lack depth, especially after this years draft

Originally posted by spizzy:
Nobody has a real argument against it lol. You can say its a bad idea all you want but give reasons. It's not like we lack depth, especially after this years draft

The argument is this. For a smart team, there is no such player that is worth giving up an entire draft for. Smart teams build through the draft. Every year, even when they don't "lack depth." In an average draft with 7 picks, a smart team can secure several cheap starters and a few potential Pro Bowlers.

You can't give all that up for one player. It's not sustainable. And the fact of the matter is the player may bust, even if it's a slim chance. But even if there is a 100% chance of them being a superstar, they are still arguably less valuable to a team's long-term health than 4-5 above average starters on cheap contracts.

QED.
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
The argument is this. For a smart team, there is no such player that is worth giving up an entire draft for. Smart teams build through the draft. Every year, even when they don't "lack depth." In an average draft with 7 picks, a smart team can secure several cheap starters and a few potential Pro Bowlers.

You can't give all that up for one player. It's not sustainable. And the fact of the matter is the player may bust, even if it's a slim chance. But even if there is a 100% chance of them being a superstar, they are still arguably less valuable to a team's long-term health than 4-5 above average starters on cheap contracts.

QED.

You still fail to realize that because we basically have 2 years worth of picks this year, we wouldn't necessarily be lose cheap talent next year. I agree it's not sustainable to trade your entire draft away, which is why I'm only proposing it for one draft for a once in a lifetime player. And your bolded sentence makes no sense. A superstar is not exactly replaceable, but 4-5 above average starters (which is unlikely to be attained in any draft) are easily replaceable; see: free agency every year.
[ Edited by spizzy on Apr 3, 2013 at 2:47 PM ]
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
I'd love to get Clowney in next year's draft. Players like him come once or twice in a decade and worth trading bunch of draft picks for.

I'd love to trade this year's 1st rounder for next years first to a team like Bills or Jets - which will land us the top 10 pick next year. Then go and get him!
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
I'd love to get Clowney in next year's draft. Players like him come once or twice in a decade and worth trading bunch of draft picks for.

I'd love to trade this year's 1st rounder for next years first to a team like Bills or Jets - which will land us the top 10 pick next year. Then go and get him!

Thank you! If we traded 7 picks next year for him we would still have around 15 total picks plus Clowney from 2 drafts. How is that not a good deal???
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
theres only one black mamba and he plays basketball
everyone calls themselves the black mamba now

yeah what is this 1987?
Share 49ersWebzone