LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 222 users in the forums

Do you see us Drafting another RB with a late round pick ?

Originally posted by DelCed2486:
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
What about Levon Bell from Michigan State ? ...6-1 and 230 LBS ...ran a 4.52 and could possibly play a little FB for us

if he's available in the 4th , I would take a look at him .,...he has the size to be the chain moving back we thought we had in Brandon Jacobs

I just mentioned him above...forget FB, he would be Gore's replacement within 1-2 seasons. But yeah, maybe a little FB in 2013. But no way he's there in the 4th round, he'll be a Day 1 pick.

maybe in the 3rd possibly ? ...this seems to be the year to grab a Tackle in the 1st & 2nd rounds, lot of teams are looking to grab a Tackle, which could leave us with more options in regards to looking for a Safety, Corner or Defensive line help ....if we shored up those 3 positions early, maybe we swing a deal to move up and grab Levon ? ...that would be sweet
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
I envision us drafting a late round big bodied RB that can provide competition for Dixon and Hampton for the final roster spot at FB/RB. Unless it's BPA, I don't see the 49ers spending another mid-round pick on a RB.
Yes
I think we have to draft the best on the board!.whoever is rated highest by the team. I really think Gore has to be getting close to the end!
A Rb always has to be looked at. Lacy could be there with our 34th pick for all I know?
I remember saying "Aldon Who?" and look how that turned out?
[ Edited by Donnies49ers on Apr 2, 2013 at 9:53 AM ]
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
What about Levon Bell from Michigan State ? ...6-1 and 230 LBS ...ran a 4.52 and could possibly play a little FB for us

if he's available in the 4th , I would take a look at him .,...he has the size to be the chain moving back we thought we had in Brandon Jacobs

I just mentioned him above...forget FB, he would be Gore's replacement within 1-2 seasons. But yeah, maybe a little FB in 2013. But no way he's there in the 4th round, he'll be a Day 1 pick.

maybe in the 3rd possibly ? ...this seems to be the year to grab a Tackle in the 1st & 2nd rounds, lot of teams are looking to grab a Tackle, which could leave us with more options in regards to looking for a Safety, Corner or Defensive line help ....if we shored up those 3 positions early, maybe we swing a deal to move up and grab Levon ? ...that would be sweet

He seems to have started out with the drafniks considering him anywhere from late-2nd to a 4th round pick...but there's a buzz about him now, keep hearing/reading his name more and more, so that's why I think he'll go in the early/mid 2nd or possibly even 1st round.

49ers still have a lot of picks and aren't done dealing, but as it stands now I would bet DL and DB with their first 2 picks, although if there's a TE available that they really like then could see them going that route.

If their third pick at 2-31 comes up and somehow Bell was still available, I will be hoping they grab him, just as I was last year with Doug Martin in the 1st round....who did the 49ers get again? Now if Bell is gone, Lattimore will (should) still be there...don't know if they'd take him that soon, but if they are considering Lattimore then they could have him targeted with their 3-12 pick.
[ Edited by DelCed2486 on Apr 2, 2013 at 8:39 PM ]
I think Harbaugh will draft a RB every year, he loves to stock up at that position for some reason.
kniles davis of arkansas might be a better prospect than lattimore...lattimore seems to run tall, exposing himself to more potentially injurious hits
Im also on the Lattimore band wagon
Hard to say, most things I read say a third round pick will get Lattimore for us.

I don't feel we'll give up a third. Maybe a fourth.

Baalke is one tough guy to figure out.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DrGonzo00:
I feel like we've put ourselves in a tough spot with the RB position. I love Hunter, but he's small and coming off an achilles injury. Was he really considered the heir to Gore? I love LMJ, but I also think he's too small to be an every down back. We have Dixon, who should be the 3rd down bruiser back we need, except he doesn't play that way. Still, he's a core special teams guy we shouldn't take for granted.

So...I'm not convinced we have our future, every down RB and we don't have the short yardage guy either. Hunter and LMJ are really good players, but to what end? My hope is that LMJ can be groomed as a reliable KR/PR threat and Hunter can recover enough to continue being the backup. In any event, do we draft another RB who can potentially be the heir apparent? Do we draft another big brusier to be the 3rd down back? Would we carry that many RBs?

Totally agree. My view is neither Kendall nor LaMike are Frank's heir apparent. However, both of them can work well together in a rotation. Like you, I also think they are just too small, plus I have a distinct preference for big power backs like Marshawn Lynch. I think is apparent we will need to draft another RB, the only question is whether it will be this year or next year. I am almost certain that Frank will retire latest by the end of his current contract in 2014, so it might make sense to draft the person now and give him a season or two to learn from Frank unless we already know there are better RBs in next year's draft class. I don't think is any issue for us to carry another RB. The way I look at it is this, Frank will be gone and I consider Anthony more as a special teams guy anyway, so that's 3 RBs just like when we had Brandon.

Having looked through this year's RBs, I am leaning towards Le'Veon Bell and Cameron Marshall.

Drafting any RB would be a waste IMO we need defense youth... RBs translate frm college to NFL very easy so next yr lets grab a RB .. we need DE/OLB/CB/SS/FS help now not late remember this is a great defense draft class N that doesn't happen alot ...
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
I wouldnt be surprise if we draft a RB... We got so many picks, it really would not hurt..

Knile Davis is a diamond in the rough...
Originally posted by hofer36:
kniles davis of arkansas might be a better prospect than lattimore...lattimore seems to run tall, exposing himself to more potentially injurious hits

Knile David runs real tall as well, both will have to learn to keep their pad level lower. I would be happy with either, but am start8ng to lean more heavy towards Davis.
No. They like Hampton, and he'll be competing with Dixon for the last RB roster spot.

No need for it.
Share 49ersWebzone