LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 794 users in the forums

MBA's Final Mock Draft

One last Free Agent Signing
Nnamdi Asomugha CB

One TradeTrade Pick #31 and Pick #74 (from Carolina) to Chicago for Pick #20

Choices based on prospect rankings from NFLDraftScout.com dated 3/27/13.

Round 1 Datone Jones DE UCLA 6'4" 283 lbs - rotational D lineman and long term replacement for Justin Smith
Round 2a (from Kansas City) Jesse Williams NT/DE Alabama 6'4" 323 lbs - NT to keep our run defense solid on early downs
Round 2b Phillip Thomas FS Fresno St. 6'1" 208 lbs - coverage safety to replace Goldson
Round 3 Travis Kelce TE Cincinnati 6'5" 255 lbs - our new H-back/TE
Round 4 LeVeon Bell RB Michigan St 6'2" 230 lbs - Our redshirt RB without the injury issues of Lattimore
Round 4 (Comp Pick) Cornelius Washington OLB Georgia 6'4" 265 - pass rusher to spell Aldon and Brooks
Round 5 Reid Fragel OT Ohio St. 6'8" 308 lbs - swing OT to spell Staley or Davis and keep Boone at OG
Round 6a Earl Wolff SS NC State 5'11" 209 lbs - depth and future replacement for Whitner
Round 6b Ace Sanders WR/RS South Carolina 5'7" 173 lbs - new primary kick returner
Round 7 Sean Renfree QB Duke 6'3" 219 lbs - Camp QB and competition for Tolzien and McCoy
Round 7 (Comp Pick) Rod Sweeting CB Georgia Tech 5'11" 189 lbs - CB prospect
Round 7 (Comp Pick) Michael Mauti ILB Penn St. 6'2" 243 lbs - depth behind our studs

UDFA Brett Baer PK LA Lafayette 5'11" 182 lbs - kicker to stash on the practice squad just in case
Quanterus Smith Western Kentucky 6'5" 250 lbs - injured pass rusher who would be another great practice squad player
I'd rather take Smith, instead of Mauti, in the 7th just to assure that he's ours. The kid has talent, wouldn't want to leave it up to a high bidder situation. We grab him in the 7th and keep him on IR/PUP.
This mock is one that matches pretty well with my personal leanings.

I'm not a fan of the BIG biggies in this draft. I am however a fan of the following players for the following reasons:
Datone Jones (bearish), Phillip Thomas (hawkish), Travis Kelce (bullish), LeVeon Bell (tazmanian devilish), Ace Sanders (video gamish).

I'm not fully sure going with the animal analogs was a good idea. But at the time, it seemed cool-ish.
Good jopb really like this mock. If Nnamdi doesn't signI think they need to use one of those 1st 3 picks on a CB tho.
I don't like how WR isn't really addressed in this mock.

If we trade up from 31 to get a guy like Datone Jones, we should trade back from 34 to recoup the lost pick. Jesse Williams won't be available at 34 anyway, and we could get a pure NT in Brandon Williams a little later.
If it went down this way it would be a pretty good mock.

Everyone will have their preferences - Not a fan of Bell, Sandersn, Kelce, Renfee - not on abililty, but because I'd prefer other.

REALLY like Datone, Williams, Thomas, Washingtom, Wolff

Read good things on Fragel

Would like Da'Rick at WR - however, there's a knawing character concern that keeps bothering me.
Didn't have insider knowledge, but was right about Nnamdi

blm and LasVegasWally, I agree to a point about WR's . My guess is that the Niners will not solve ALL their needs in this draft and WR is the one position where they still are 5 deep (Crabtree, Boldin, Jenkins, Manningham, K. Williams, and maybe Lockette). That is just the way that I see this going down.
Nice mock
No. Youre talking about trading up for a situation pass rusher when there's a big gaping hole at the back of our defense.
Really like this one MBA.

The only thing i would change is taking either Lattimore, or Davis at RB if one of them fell to that spot where you take Bell.

I also think QB is overkill at this point. If we need a camp fodder QB we can get one as an UDFA. Take Brandon Kaufman or someone like that if they were to fall there.
[ Edited by IdahoNiner on Apr 4, 2013 at 4:21 PM ]

Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Really like this one MBA.

The only thing i would change is taking either Lattimore, or Davis at RB if one of them fell to that spot where you take Bell.

I also think QB is overkill at this point. If we need a camp fodder QB we can get one as an UDFA. Take Brandon Kaufman or someone like that if they were to fall there.

Lattimore or Knile Davis are good options, I just thought the Niners would take someone WITHOUT an injury history.

The QB pick is definitely a luxury pick. Since Renfree was a Harbaugh recruit at one point, I thought it made sense. I agree that WR is an option or maybe another pass rusher at that point.
  • Kelv
  • Veteran
I'd take McDonald as our safety - just think he was shown up by scheme and moronic supporting cast rather than talent and maybe I'm just an old romantic lol I'd also keep tabs on the honey badger and consider moving up/ back into the 3rd to draft him, IMHO we don't have enough playmakers at corner. The rest of your picks are very solid
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Love your first five picks.
Landing Jones AND Williams would be pretty incredible. Couple comments:

1. I don't think TE is that high of a priority

2. A RB taken high? Nah...who's job is he going to take?

3. Is prefer a big WR...we have no WRs over 6-2
Really like this draft! At first waiting until the sixth for a WR bothered me, but if Sanders is your return guy to replace Ginn there is already a lot of competition at WR. Really like getting Jones and J Williams to solidify the DL for years to come.
Share 49ersWebzone