There are 175 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What position is worth trading up for and who would you pick.

What position is worth trading up for and who would you pick.

Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
I would go into the mid teens for Star Lotulelei. Get the best player available for one of the top two positions of need, the other being S, in a S deep class.

Star is personally my #1 rated player in the draft. He has been all offseason, and nothing will change that

I think alot of people around here stongly underestimate the value a NT like Lotulelei would bring to this team. Add a NT like that, and you can put our name in the hat for quite possibly the most dominate front 7 ever. Alltime.Period. We have neglected adding serious talent to the NT position since we made the switch to the 3-4. Thats a long time to not truely invest at the NT position.
I'm not with you on this, Sure star is good, but I think Jess from bama will be the better player. He's rawr because he's not been in football that long, but has just as much talent, is already played Nt in the 3-4 for bama, and would be the better fit for us. Either way we do need a Nt and Fs before we draft anything else. And with having a great dline coach were going to have a badass Nt if he gets a player like Star or Jess to coach up. I've wanted a nose tackle since Vince wilfork and us passing twice and than finally selecting woods , I wanted B.J. and I'd be happy with Star or Jess as the Nt, and this is a deep saftey class so we should trade up to get a Nt if we like Star if not we can stay in the spot we have still get a good Nt, and than select a Fs in round 2.
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
I would go into the mid teens for Star Lotulelei. Get the best player available for one of the top two positions of need, the other being S, in a S deep class.

Star is personally my #1 rated player in the draft. He has been all offseason, and nothing will change that

I think alot of people around here stongly underestimate the value a NT like Lotulelei would bring to this team. Add a NT like that, and you can put our name in the hat for quite possibly the most dominate front 7 ever. Alltime.Period. We have neglected adding serious talent to the NT position since we made the switch to the 3-4. Thats a long time to not truely invest at the NT position.
I'm not with you on this, Sure star is good, but I think Jess from bama will be the better player. He's rawr because he's not been in football that long, but has just as much talent, is already played Nt in the 3-4 for bama, and would be the better fit for us. Either way we do need a Nt and Fs before we draft anything else. And with having a great dline coach were going to have a badass Nt if he gets a player like Star or Jess to coach up. I've wanted a nose tackle since Vince wilfork and us passing twice and than finally selecting woods , I wanted B.J. and I'd be happy with Star or Jess as the Nt, and this is a deep saftey class so we should trade up to get a Nt if we like Star if not we can stay in the spot we have still get a good Nt, and than select a Fs in round 2.


Sorry, but Star is in another league than Jesse Williams. Star is an impact player from anywhere on the DL in both the run and passing game. Williams is just as good at defending the run, but I wouldn't count on him as a guy that can collapse the pocket and flush the QB. Williams struggles to get blockers off of him. He fails against anybody that he can't simply overpower.

Williams has a TON of technique to perfect before he is close to the player that Star is now.
Originally posted by blm7754:
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
I would go into the mid teens for Star Lotulelei. Get the best player available for one of the top two positions of need, the other being S, in a S deep class.

Star is personally my #1 rated player in the draft. He has been all offseason, and nothing will change that

I think alot of people around here stongly underestimate the value a NT like Lotulelei would bring to this team. Add a NT like that, and you can put our name in the hat for quite possibly the most dominate front 7 ever. Alltime.Period. We have neglected adding serious talent to the NT position since we made the switch to the 3-4. Thats a long time to not truely invest at the NT position.
I'm not with you on this, Sure star is good, but I think Jess from bama will be the better player. He's rawr because he's not been in football that long, but has just as much talent, is already played Nt in the 3-4 for bama, and would be the better fit for us. Either way we do need a Nt and Fs before we draft anything else. And with having a great dline coach were going to have a badass Nt if he gets a player like Star or Jess to coach up. I've wanted a nose tackle since Vince wilfork and us passing twice and than finally selecting woods , I wanted B.J. and I'd be happy with Star or Jess as the Nt, and this is a deep saftey class so we should trade up to get a Nt if we like Star if not we can stay in the spot we have still get a good Nt, and than select a Fs in round 2.


Sorry, but Star is in another league than Jesse Williams. Star is an impact player from anywhere on the DL in both the run and passing game. Williams is just as good at defending the run, but I wouldn't count on him as a guy that can collapse the pocket and flush the QB. Williams struggles to get blockers off of him. He fails against anybody that he can't simply overpower.

Williams has a TON of technique to perfect before he is close to the player that Star is now.

Yea, I like Jesse Williams alot as well. I would not be mad with him at our pick, but i would not move up for him like Star. Star is in another level. He dominated his compition, alot of time against tripple teams. Still Had alot of TFL's and on a dline with J. Smith, and Mcdonald, along with 4 very capable LB's he would be downright scary.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Yea, I like Jesse Williams alot as well. I would not be mad with him at our pick, but i would not move up for him like Star. Star is in another level. He dominated his compition, alot of time against tripple teams. Still Had alot of TFL's and on a dline with J. Smith, and Mcdonald, along with 4 very capable LB's he would be downright scary.

Impact player versus strong role player. If Star can collapse the pocket, with the current players coming back...ouch! That would be special. I'm not sure J Williams would have nearly the same impact...but I think he may be better than Sopoaga by year two.
Originally posted by bleedredandgold:
Sitting through the draft waiting for our pick PATIENTLY is not gonna happen for any of us niner fans . We have a treasure trove of picks , and this 49er fan says .. use em ! We all know every draft has its surprises ,so im not sure where we'd have to move up to but these are the guys i'd want us to trade up for .

sharrif floyd or johnathan hankins - dt

werner , mingo or moore - de

rhodes or banks - cb

patterson or austin - wr

I wouldn't even take those guys at 31.. Don't fit the system
IMO, Sheldon Richardson will be a guy we should have traded up for. In our system and ESPECIALLY with our coaches, he's going to be a long-time dynamic player and a difference maker in the league for years.
None. I don't think anyone is a sure thing. Let's keep trading for pics!! I like 7th especially because you can stash em on the PS.
We have a starting DL. We lack depth.

We do NOT, IMO, have a starting Safety (I think Whitner should stay where he is, but samrter heads [HarBaalke] will decide). We need to get one. Whatever position we need to get to in order to secure a starting FS.
Originally posted by socal9er42:
We have a starting DL. We lack depth.

We do NOT, IMO, have a starting Safety (I think Whitner should stay where he is, but samrter heads [HarBaalke] will decide). We need to get one. Whatever position we need to get to in order to secure a starting FS.

The DL is getting older and without a true NT. Next year, we may have to replace Justin Smith and Ray Mac had a poor 2012 compared to 2011. This is a deep safety class and we can probably get a good one in the third IMO.
Originally posted by Cooper22:
Originally posted by bleedredandgold:
Sitting through the draft waiting for our pick PATIENTLY is not gonna happen for any of us niner fans . We have a treasure trove of picks , and this 49er fan says .. use em ! We all know every draft has its surprises ,so im not sure where we'd have to move up to but these are the guys i'd want us to trade up for .

sharrif floyd or johnathan hankins - dt

werner , mingo or moore - de

rhodes or banks - cb

patterson or austin - wr

I wouldn't even take those guys at 31.. Don't fit the system

I'm curious why you wouldn't pick Shariff Floyd? A projected top 10 pick who played in a 3-4 and was coached by Bryant Young. Sounds like a good fit to me. And I might be in the minority on this one but after watching several A&M games this year, I'd take a chance on Damontre Moore at 31. He's played well in both a 3-4 and 4-3 and you don't accidently put up double digit sacks playing against SEC opponents. Plus, before the combine everyone had this guy mocked as a top 15 pick. If he lives up to his potential, we could have a steal for a borderline second round pick. Worse case scenario I think he'd be a solid player to rotate in to give those OLBs a much needed breather.
I love Austin, D. Jones, Rhodes, and Trufant personally. Maybe Ansah would be good with us too
Now that we got Nhamdi, and looking at the rest of our FA signings, it is looking very possible that we will be moving up in the draft to target a couple key players.

Star Lotulelei and Datone Jones in the first. Make it happen. Then address the other needs in the mid to late rounds.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Now that we got Nhamdi, and looking at the rest of our FA signings, it is looking very possible that we will be moving up in the draft to target a couple key players.

Star Lotulelei and Datone Jones in the first. Make it happen. Then address the other needs in the mid to late rounds.

I am no expert but from what I read it doesn't look as though Lotulelei is likely to drop far enough for us to pick up, even by trading up. Sounds like he will be gone before the tenth pick.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Now that we got Nhamdi, and looking at the rest of our FA signings, it is looking very possible that we will be moving up in the draft to target a couple key players.

Star Lotulelei and Datone Jones in the first. Make it happen. Then address the other needs in the mid to late rounds.

I am no expert but from what I read it doesn't look as though Lotulelei is likely to drop far enough for us to pick up, even by trading up. Sounds like he will be gone before the tenth pick.

Likely he will be gone, But if he slides into the teens i would love to snag him. There is alot of up in the air talk surrounding him right now, so you never know.
If I am going to be unrealistic, I will have to go with the offensive side of the ball :

1) WR - Cordarrelle Patterson, if not Justin Hunter
2) TE - Either Eifert or Ertz I am happy