There are 73 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Our fist pick really needs to be Cyprien at FS .

I like Cyprien a lot. I still think Vaccaro is the best safety in the draft, but Cyprien is a close 2nd in my eyes. I'd be very happy with either one of these guys.
Originally posted by TTown9ers:
Originally posted by Broseph6:
U dnt draft by need u draft by beat available

So should we draft an ILB if it's BPA then? I really hate when people say this. Yes you go BPA if the need is debatable but it's not always BPA regardless of position, team needs absolutely come into play

This is a fair point. There are obvious positions where BPA would be a waste of a 1st round draft pick. However, we have 3-5 key positions where you take the BPA that is there.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I like Cyprien a lot. I still think Vaccaro is the best safety in the draft, but Cyprien is a close 2nd in my eyes. I'd be very happy with either one of these guys.

The beauty of our first two pics, they are like pics 31 & 34 (Confirm the specific ones?). So maybe best dline and then best secondary player (not necessarily in that order).
Originally posted by Fasteddy:

So should we draft an ILB if it's BPA then? I really hate when people say this. Yes you go BPA if the need is debatable but it's not always BPA regardless of position, team needs absolutely come into play

This is a fair point. There are obvious positions where BPA would be a waste of a 1st round draft pick. However, we have 3-5 key positions where you take the BPA that is there.

The trick is to set your board up to reflect the needs of your team. Most teams boards are created with needs in mind so that they can honestly pick BPA based on their board. Example, The niners might have second round grades on Teo and Ogletree because the Front office would never part with a 1st for them.
[ Edited by 5280High on Mar 27, 2013 at 3:47 PM ]
Originally posted by 5280High:

The trick is to set your board up to reflect the needs of your team. Most teams boards are created with needs in mind so that they can honestly pick BPA based on their board. Example, The niners might have second round grades on Teo and Ogletree because the Front office would never part with a 1st for them.

Agree. Also, true BPA is for teams in rebuilding mode, and suffering from a lack of talent across the board. At some point, a team's priorities become quite clear. The niners always talk about BPA, but last year we took a WR....no question that guy was more of a need than BPA.
i agree coldheartedly, but, only if they dont package theIr picks to move up for VACARRO
What about Craig Dahl as our safety? I don't think you can draft a rookie safety and expect him to start right away unless the kid is special. Although I'm not opposed to drafting Cyprien or Elam at that spot, I'm kind of thinking d-line right there or corner. I think the Harbaugh/Baalke plan is to raise the team IQ. Nobody likes the Dahl move because he's perceived as a notch below Goldson, but I think they know what their doing. Dahl seems like an over achiever, someone who may not be as talented, but makes less mistakes. I like that, that might be what we need. Any of you like Kawaan Short at 31? I do.
Tavon in the 1st Eric Reid 2nd/3rd

The beauty of our first two pics, they are like pics 31 & 34 (Confirm the specific ones?). So maybe best dline and then best secondary player (not necessarily in that order).

Yup, first two picks are 31 & 34. We should be able to grab a very good DE and FS if we choose too. Plenty of quality prospects at those positions are projected to be available when we pick.

Yup, first two picks are 31 & 34. We should be able to grab a very good DE and FS if we choose too. Plenty of quality prospects at those positions are projected to be available when we pick.

Agree with this. We will get good players at those picks in the draft. I don't agree with trading up for a safety. I believe that our pass rush is what makes or brakes the play of the secondary, and safety position in particular. The less time for the QB to throw, the less the secondary becomes exposed, plain and simple.
Austin then HoneyBadger....Championship!
Or good TE and HoneyBadger
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by matthewabbit:
please no more medium sized WRs. Alex took us to the NFCCC (and should have won it) with bret Swain. if Kap is better than sliced bread he should do fine with two of our own #1 picks lined up with boldin and manningham...AND VERNON!! WE need Help in the secondary or D LINE!!

At this point, it surly appears that we do not have a starter at free safety. I am not convinced that we have a starter at nose tackle.

I think those are our primary needs.

We need a second TE.

We have two solid starting defensive ends. We need a back up, and potential starter at DE, although the signing of Dorsey may have lessened that need.

We need a swing tackle, a strong safety, and could use a corner back.

But, we also need a wide receiver, and in my estimation, the need is serious.

After Boldin and Crabtree, the roster is thin, very thin. Manningham will be lucky if he is ready to play by mid-season.

Jenkins is a huge question mark and Kyle Williams has not done very much.

I agree.

If you read what I wrote I never suggested that draft by need. I never mentioned anything other than our needs.

I did mention our primary needs, but I never suggested how the draft should be carried out.

I could care less what round we draft a free safety, or a wide receiver, or a tight end, etc.

I have consistently contended that we need to draft the best player available at a position of need.

If we do that, we will be fine and will meet, to the extent possible our needs.
[ Edited by buck on Mar 27, 2013 at 4:36 PM ]
I dont think he's that great in coverage. I like Reid way better
Originally posted by T-9ers:
What about Craig Dahl as our safety? I don't think you can draft a rookie safety and expect him to start right away unless the kid is special. Although I'm not opposed to drafting Cyprien or Elam at that spot, I'm kind of thinking d-line right there or corner. I think the Harbaugh/Baalke plan is to raise the team IQ. Nobody likes the Dahl move because he's perceived as a notch below Goldson, but I think they know what their doing. Dahl seems like an over achiever, someone who may not be as talented, but makes less mistakes. I like that, that might be what we need. Any of you like Kawaan Short at 31? I do.

I've been considering the idea of Short at 31 lately, and truthfully it's starting to grow on me. To me taking a guy like Datone Jones, or Short first, then comming back at 34 and taking a guy like Eric Reid seems like the best value situation to me than taking the safety first.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home