There are 123 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Pat Kirwan Measures Explosiveness

Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Bench pressing 225 isn't about explosion for a professional football player, it's about endurance. The broad jump should be weighted, since an 11 ft broad jump is more impressive than a 30 inch vertical. Lame attempt at doing something useful.

I think the answer is that it depends. 225 for a DB or a WR shows power..for a lineman it is endurance. I'd be more interested to have them start with 225 and add 90 with each rep and see how long they can keep going.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Explosive Power "=((VERT+(3.5*BROAD))*(WEIGHT/HEIGHT))/3000"

This metric does not use the bench, and takes into consideration body size.

A value over 1.05 is elite, a value over 1.0 is excellent, and anything over 0.95 is still very good.

Without the help of 5280High on the math, I would have never figured out how to use this formula.

Here are the results. I have Star in both groups. Jessie Williams did not do the VJ or BJ.

Nose Tackles

Brandon Williams 1.09 elite
John Jenkins 0.98 very good
Montori Hughes 0.98 very good
Star Lotulelei 0.98 very good
Kwame Geathers 0.95
TJ Barnes 0.94

Defensive Ends

Jared Smith ` 1.06 elite
Nick Williams 1.05 elite
Sheldon Richardson 1.04 excellent
Star Lotulelei 0.98 very good
Akeem Spence 0.99 very good
Johnathan Hankins 0.96 very good
Sharrif Floyd 0.95
Josh Boyd 0.95
Sylvester Williams 0.94
Bennie Logan 0.93
Kawann Short 0.89

Yes, I know. Watch the film.
[ Edited by buck on Mar 27, 2013 at 3:50 AM ]
JJ Watt- 34 bench presses, 37 inch vertical, 10 foot broad= 81 points

Explosive number- 1.07
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Mar 27, 2013 at 5:39 AM ]
I've already calculated all the explosion metrics for the 2013 class:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AotIVo4gpWF8dEtPV0x3UHNnM2hlRUxYbTBoekJ2YUE&output=html

If you want to see what they are for past drafts, you can look under the "Research" tab. As you'll see, I have several different metrics listed. The ExPwr metric measures lower body explosion. Unfortunately, it eliminates a lot of the smaller type guys. For the smaller guys, I tend to focus on the agility based metrics like COD. I have a few others that are listed on that doc. If you want a link, let me know.
[ Edited by gentry200meters on Apr 1, 2013 at 8:27 AM ]
Margus Hunt - SMU - DE - 38 - 34.5 - 10-1 - 82.6

Hold on a sec. How do you get .6 from .5 + 1/12th. lol! It looks like he did that a few times. I guess that's why he's a sports writer and not a mathematician.
Originally posted by gentry200meters:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AotIVo4gpWF8dEtPV0x3UHNnM2hlRUxYbTBoekJ2YUE&output=html

If you want to see what they are for past drafts, you can look under the "Research" tab. As you'll see, I have several different metrics listed. The ExPwr metric measures lower body explosion. Unfortunately, it eliminates a lot of the smaller type guys. For the smaller guys, I tend to focus on the agility based metrics like COD. I have a few others that are listed on that doc. If you want a link, let me know.

Who are you? lol

Thats a ton of work you have in that document
1/12 = 0.0833

Therefore, instead of 0.6 it should be 0.5833, which he rounded to 0.6
[ Edited by NinerBuff on Apr 1, 2013 at 9:59 AM ]
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
1/12 = 0.0833

Therefore, instead of 0.6 it should be 0.5833, which he rounded to 0.6

I have no idea what's going on. Must be April Fool. You'll have to trust me that this is not what I wrote
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:

Who are you? lol

Wow, dude! And side comment, maybe consider using the return key between players, but overall, wow lot's of research here!

Who are you? lol

I know. I've got serious issues. Footballs my hobby but I tend to take it a little too far.

Who are you? lol

I know. I've got serious issues. Footballs my hobby but I tend to take it a little too far.

nah thats pretty cool. I'll probably read it when I have time. (FYI there is an April Fool's joke that your posts look screwed up, but it reads just fine to others so don't edit).

But it does have your personal e-mail in the document FYI.

Who are you? lol

nah thats pretty cool. I'll probably read it when I have time. (FYI there is an April Fool's joke that your posts look screwed up, but it reads just fine to others so don't edit).

But it does have your personal e-mail in the document FYI.

Just wanted to add.... Amazing Work! One of the best times on the zone is right before the draft, seeing everyones opinions, effort and passion for the sport is just awesome. Kudos.