LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 234 users in the forums

what positions would you address with our first 4 picks ?

My ideal first 3 picks....

Trade a 3rd rd pick and 31st pick to move up and get Tank Carradine

Then trade another 3rd rd pick and the 34th pick to move up again and ensure we get Desmond Trufant

Then with the late 2nd rd pick take DJ Swearinger or someone equivalent
Defense first four picks.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OldJoe:
Defense first four picks.

Yeah. Our defense was weak last year. We have to use all of our high picks to fix it.

Well, maybe not.

The was only ranked 2nd overall, 4th in rushing defense and 4th in pass defense.

Our passing offense was ranked 23rd in the league.

We lost our highly used 2nd tight end and the #3 wide receiver might not even see the field.

Using all of our first four picks on defense might not be the best way to go.

We should take the best player available at a position of need for each of our picks.
It the best availabvle player is a tight end or a wide receiver, we should drat him.
[ Edited by buck on Mar 28, 2013 at 11:46 AM ]
1st pick: DE or FS
2nd pick: FS or DE
3rd pick: corner
4th pick: DT
I'm so sick of tha best player available sh*t just a cop-out for not being able to think for urself ... so when each of our picks come up N tha best player available is a QB that who we get so that just means a draft filled with QB picks .. our offensive was pretty good funny how so many loved tha dropies walker came with .. our defense does need a lot of help T.Brown,J.Smith two starters who are free agents next yr N C.Rogers maybe shown tha door to... N it was our defense that got used N abused in tha playoffs not our offensive ..
FS
TE
DL
CB
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
I'm so sick of tha best player available sh*t just a cop-out for not being able to think for urself ... so when each of our picks come up N tha best player available is a QB that who we get so that just means a draft filled with QB picks .. our offensive was pretty good funny how so many loved tha dropies walker came with .. our defense does need a lot of help T.Brown,J.Smith two starters who are free agents next yr N C.Rogers maybe shown tha door to... N it was our defense that got used N abused in tha playoffs not our offensive ..

If your gong to be snotty, live with the consequence.
It is not nice to accuse people of not thinking for themselves, of coping out.
That is like accusing a person of using a learning disability to justify his laziness.
Best Hybrid DE/NT candidate (Star, Sheldon, Kwaan, Hankins type) need to rotate that line
Best Ball Hawking Cover Safety
Best Rushing Outside Linebacker- nothing like a fresh set of pass rushers to make our D-backfield better
CB- big physical one with speed. Move Tarell Brown to the slot CB
Originally posted by Rgonelove:
safety=E.REID
dt/nt=J.WILLIAMS
cb=D.AMERSON
te=G.ESCOBAR
wr=D.ROGERS

Amerson got toasted quite often this year in the ACC. Not exactly the best competition.
DE
NT
OLB
FS
CB/KR
TE
WR/KR
SS
RB

As you can see, with our 1st 3 picks, I really want to see us emphasize and empower our front 7. Reason being is that no matter what some coaches like Tomlin and QBs like Rodgers is saying, this league is going the route of mobile QBs and multiple threats in the backfield and with our elite LB core we are well equipped to defend this because of our speed and sure tackling, but we need to build upon the strength of our front 7 so that we can shut down the read option and keep these QBs in the pocket and under duress. If we do our job up front I believe we can snuff out the option, rush the passer, stop the run and make life easier for the guys on the back end.

We can address our void at free safety with our 4th pick and get a playmaker at corner with pick 5, one that can preferably return kicks. Delanie's replacement can be found later on (hopefully a long redzone target) and a Tavon Austin like WR/KR can be found also unless we find a big WR we like. Strong safeties can be groomed from any prospect that has the necessary physicality and tackling ability and hopefully average to decent in coverage. Lastly I want us to take another back to push Dixon and Hampton and maybe give us some Alfred Morris luck like the Skins got last year.

Once again, I emphasize, like many others on these boards have, we need to dominate in the trenches and on the edges because of what is coming this year in the NFL and on our schedule. We want to be the premiere defense in this league and vs these option offenses. We have fared well enough when healthy vs traditional offenses and as a matter of fact, we have been downright dominant, but we have not had a steady dose of our own medicine and in the NFC I see 3 teams that will probably be in the playoffs running read option: SF SEA WAS and to get to the Super Bowl, someone is going to have to stop this very dangerous offensive system. Let us be that team!!

NT
DE
WR
S

in that order.
  • Walsh
  • Veteran
Guys that are going for safety in the 4th round, are you actually expecting that player to see the field this year? You're basically committed to Craig Dahl as the man. I say this because I think Ian Williams is our starting NT and they bring in a mid rounder to compete with him.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
I know what is supposed to be the sensible thing to do if you will, but if I am to go all out in trying to win now, I will place more focus on the offensive side of the ball. My priorty will go something like this :

1) WR
2) TE
3) S or CB
4)DE

To be honest, if we can get either Eifert or Ertz, they are as good as any WR, only that the better WRs will be gone earlier, so strategically I will have to go with WR first.
Obviously we don't pick positions and you can put it in a 100 different orders but...

31 FS or DE
34 FS or DE (whatever not taken at 31)
61 #2 TE

Other than FS, DE and #2 TE we can go whatever way we want since those are the only spots we really need help at (assuming we have our NT). So after those 3 we could go NT to compete with Dorsey/Wiliams, CB (not much room), 3rd Tackle, WR (again not much room), maybe C/G, OLB (again not much room),etc

Also, hopefully we don't want to become the team that wins shootouts but if we wanted to ignore the d and make our offense that more explosive:
31 WR or TE
34 WR or TE (whatever not taken 31)
61 FS/DE

We seemed to have put the focus back on special teams so maybe we will put it on defense as well and try to go back to playing good d and ST. Could put us over the top with our offense. If D or ST did their job at the end of the year we would be celebrating right now. Like I think our offense will be more explosive but we don't want to be that team that scores 35 and gives up 32.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Apr 3, 2013 at 6:29 AM ]
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:

No it isn't. BPA basically means no more Reggie McGrews.
Share 49ersWebzone