LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 162 users in the forums

What is our biggest need as of today?

What is our biggest need as of today?

• irief
  • Veteran
After most of the FA dust has settled, and its looking more and more like there will be no more significant FA signings*, what is our biggest position of need as of right now?

*Although I realize that you never know in the NFL, and especially with our GM (LIke the Boldin trade that came out of nowhere).
Defensive line or secondary. Either answer and you'd be right.

Others will just ramble on about wide receivers when the offense averaged 34 PPG in the playoffs and the defense had nothing left.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I think our biggest need is to get someone to replace Delanie. I say take a TE with either #31 or #34. As far as a S, DE or NT, I say DE is the more pressing need to spell Cowboy and to groom as his replacement.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Mar 23, 2013 at 11:50 AM ]
If Dorsey and/or Ian Williams are the NT(s) for this year than I say FS, #2 TE, DE Depth. If they are going to be DE's than I say FS, NT, #2 TE. Either way FS.
Free safety.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
IMO (in this order) - Free Safety. DE (back-up to Justin). NT (H. Ngata/V. Wilfork/G. Brown types of beasts)...
An argument can be made about the order, but here's how I see it:

1.) Free safety
2.) Back-up DE
3.) Back-up NT
4.) Successor to T-Brown at corner
5.) Successor at strong safety
6.) TE depth
7.) Vertical WR
8.) Back-up LT
9.) Rush OLB
10.) 3rd string QB
11.) Back-up OG/OC

If we meet these needs through the draft or with the remaining free agents on the market, we'll be in great shape.
1) Safety
2) DE
3) OLB pass rusher depth and talent
4) CB
5) Big WR

I think 1, 2 and 3 are HUGE needs. 4 and 5 we can address if we can in this draft or future drafts if need be.
  • irief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
An argument can be made about the order, but here's how I see it:

1.) Free safety
2.) Back-up DE
3.) Back-up NT
4.) Successor to T-Brown at corner
5.) Successor at strong safety
6.) TE depth
7.) Vertical WR
8.) Back-up LT
9.) Rush OLB
10.) 3rd string QB
11.) Back-up OG/OC

If we meet these needs through the draft or with the remaining free agents on the market, we'll be in great shape.

A case can be made for swapping #2 and #3, since we have our starting DE but not necessarily a NT. But I can't argue with this list, since a starting FS definitely has yet to be identified.

This year's draft is going to be important, since it will address a few positions of need (starters and significant contributors, not just depth), like in the 2011 draft.
The front office needs to grab an impact DL as they have more value with your first pick. Unless one of the impact DBs is available which is unlikely go DL and Pass Rush.

Aside from 6-7 picks I would trade away the other half of the draft if I can for next years draft. 14 prospects will not make this team. How many star safeties come out of the first round? Sean Taylor, Ed Reed, Troy Palamolu . . .

Best DL and load yourself up for the future and I would rather have another high end corner versus a FS.

Tavon Austin. ............then a safety. Matt Elam or Cyprien
The squirmy answer is that it really doesn't matter. We have enough firepower to address all of these perceived "major needs" in the draft by going BPA.
Safety, DL & TE/WR. As long as we address these 3 in our first 3 selections... it matters not in which order!
better looking cheerleaders
Free safety.
Share 49ersWebzone