There are 287 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Walter Football Mock (3/20)

haha, I don't take this stuff too seriously, but figured many on the board would LOVE this scenario. I'm personally not a huge fan, and don't think it's overly likely, but here it goes:

1. Datone Jones (34 DE/ 43 DT/ 43 DE)
2. Cyprien (FS)
2. Jamie Collins (OLB)
3. Gavin Escobar (TE)
3. Eric Reid (S)
4. Marcus Lattimore (RB)
4. AJ Klein (ILB)
5. Kwame Gaethers (NT)
5. Walter Stewart (OLB)

I don't see 7/9 players being selected for one side of the ball, nor do I see some of these players falling where they have them. But I wouldn't be angry about it either...
[ Edited by RollinWith21n52 on Mar 22, 2013 at 6:53 PM ]
7 of 9 on defense sounds about right to me, especially early in the draft (and this mock only has five rounds). In my opinion our only offensive needs would be 1-2 more pass-catchers (probably 1 WR and one TE, or just a WR) and maybe some OL depth. On defense we have needs at every level.
I do think we draft two safeties tho. ESP with Whitner entering his walk year
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
7 of 9 on defense sounds about right to me, especially early in the draft (and this mock only has five rounds). In my opinion our only offensive needs would be 1-2 more pass-catchers (probably 1 WR and one TE, or just a WR) and maybe some OL depth. On defense we have needs at every level.

Why do people think we have needs at every level on defense? We certainly don't have more needs on defense than we do on offense. It's about even if you ask me.

Defense:
Need a 3-4 DE to replace Justin Smith (in a year or two)
Need a FS to compete with Trenton Robinson
Need a SS to replace Whitner (in a year)
Need a NT to compete
Need a CB to replace Rogers (in a year or two)

Offense:
Need a WR to replace Boldin (in a year)
Need a TE to replace Walker (now)
Need a OT for depth behind Staley and Davis
Need a between the tackles RB (to replace Gore in a year or two)
Need a backup QB to compete

Seems like we have just as many needs on offense
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
haha, I don't take this stuff too seriously, but figured many on the board would LOVE this scenario. I'm personally not a huge fan, and don't think it's overly likely, but here it goes:

1. Datone Jones (34 DE/ 43 DT/ 43 DE)
2. Cyprien (FS)
2. Jamie Collins (OLB)
3. Gavin Escobar (TE)
3. Eric Reid (S)
4. Marcus Lattimore (RB)
4. AJ Klein (ILB)
5. Kwame Gaethers (NT)
5. Walter Stewart (OLB)

I don't see 7/9 players being selected for one side of the ball, nor do I see some of these players falling where they have them. But I wouldn't be angry about it either...

Not be angry? I would do cartwheels if the Niners had this draft. This would be just about the ideal draft.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Not be angry? I would do cartwheels if the Niners had this draft. This would be just about the ideal draft.

co-signed.
Originally posted by jb49ers80:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

co-signed.

Completely agree. I'm in the mindset we need to devote the majority of our picks to the D, I'm also high on Datone. Only thing im skeptical of is if Reid would actually be available in the bottom of the 3rd.
Solid.
Man I would be jumping all over the couch Tom Cruise style
Originally posted by blm7754:

Why do people think we have needs at every level on defense? We certainly don't have more needs on defense than we do on offense. It's about even if you ask me.

Defense:
Need a NT to compete

Offense:

Well, you forgot ILB as we only have Willis, Bowman, and Skuta. I'm torn about OLB. We have a lot of bodies in Haralson, Johnson, and Fleming, but they all might suck. It would be nice to have a legitimate pass rusher to platoon with Aldon and Brooks. There, all three levels.

Your points about the offense are fair, although I don't think we need to draft a WR, QB, or RB. We could based on value,and planning for the future, but we go into this year with Cratbree, Boldin, Jenkins, Manningham, Williams, Moore, and Lockette. And Gore, Hunter, James, Dixon, and Hampton. And I think we might sign a QB more proven than Tolzien. I see RB, QB, and WR as 2014 draft priorities.
double
[ Edited by LieutKaffee on Mar 22, 2013 at 9:27 PM ]

Defense:
Need a NT to compete

Offense:

Back up OLBs
Back up ILBs
Defense help is needed immediately
Offense is all depth that won't play unless injuries happen
I'd still like to nab Brandon Williams in the late 2nd. The Niners really need to upgrade their NT talent, and waiting till the late rounds doesn't seem like a good idea to me.
Originally posted by solidg2000:

Defense:
Need a NT to compete

Offense:

Back up OLBs
Back up ILBs
Defense help is needed immediately
Offense is all depth that won't play unless injuries happen

That's the point. It's the priority of the picks. I wouldn't be surprised if two thirds of the early picks are D, and all of the first 3. The late picks will be BPA anyway, and needs like the 3rd qb can wait until then.
Personally, I hope we have very specific players targeted and if they're not there we should trade for future picks. That's where the value is.