There are 283 users in the forums

Eifert or Ertz??

If they are both available @ 31... Who would/should we draft?
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
This shouldn't even be a debate (but since this is a message board ), shoot I'd take whichever one fell to us at the 34th pick. But it all comes down to who is the better blocker.
Originally posted by NYCNINER:
If they are both available @ 31... Who would/should we draft?

I have jumped back and forth between them. I thought Eiffert had the better year in college ball, but Ertz had some amazing highlight moments. I feel like Stanford's offense contains the danger of making TEs appear better then other TEs because it gives them more opportunities to shine.

Eifert looks more athletic. And I haven't checked the measurements, but Eifert looks to have the longer arms and he has very strong hands which is a terrific combo. A great pass reciever who extends and catches the balls.

It looks like for Ertz it takes him a few more strides to get his speed going.

In college, Ertz running the 10-20yard branch of routes has a special knack for getting open. Its rare to see a TE run a post route and the safety in coverage bites on a head fake before the TE's break.
Neither, we need to bolster our D. We've been O heavy in previous drafts and need to go D big time if we want to keep a top rated D unit for years to come. I for one would hate for us to end up like the Falcons. All O and not enough D to stop the other team, to hard to win that way IMO.

I say pick up a TE with our second 3rd rounder of a 4th round selection. VD is the main TE on the team we just need another to add depth at this position.
I can understand this being close, but it isn't for me. I like both, but I'd easily want Eifert over Ertz. Eifert is faster.. quicker.. longer arm length.. better blocker (by a slim margin and both need to improve that).. and just looks like he will be a better pro to me. I like Eifert in the 25 range and Ertz in the 40 range.
I know the combine isn't a great barometer, but Eifert was tops in nearly all categories. He is a much larger target with his wingspan and vertical.
Neither. BPA from D line.
Originally posted by rk1642:
Neither, we need to bolster our D. We've been O heavy in previous drafts and need to go D big time if we want to keep a top rated D unit for years to come. I for one would hate for us to end up like the Falcons. All O and not enough D to stop the other team, to hard to win that way IMO.

I say pick up a TE with our second 3rd rounder of a 4th round selection. VD is the main TE on the team we just need another to add depth at this position.

Finely a defense Guy like myself we need youth in our Defense it was tha defense that got exposed in tha playoffs DE/CB/SS/FS/DT
If there is a run on DT's and DB's before our picks this could very well be the decision, I'd have to go Eifert all the way. He's a little more athletic and competitive than Ertz. Eifert was the only ND player to show up to the national championship game.

But I would rather take a risk with Kelce in the third, with VD and Boone at his side I think his head case issues wouldnt be too much of a problem.
[ Edited by 5280High on Mar 21, 2013 at 12:41 PM ]
Eric Branch @Eric_Branch Sightings at Stanford Pro Day: #49ers QBs coach Geep Chryst and ex-TE Brent Jones, who helped coach Stanford TE Zach Ertz in high school.

I'm in the "neither" camp, but is it really even close between these guys? I keep seeing Eifert in the teens or 20s in mocks, while Ertz is firmly in the 2nd round.
I have to agree with the DL advocates...and offer a different option for receiver. That's Marcus Davis, big WR from VA Tech who could be Walker's replacement. I think his ceiling's very high...especially working with a QB the likes of Kaepernick. He didn't enjoy anything close to sterling QB play in college...but has some potentially mad skills, not to mention he's 6-3/4, 230 lbs. His best 40 time is 4.38. He could arguably be had late 3rd rd or so.
EifErtz
Neither. I'm a big Ertz fan but I prefer to go defense in the 1st.

Draft Vance McDonald in the middle rounds.
Zach Ertz number 34 we will be drafting one of these 2 TE'S What if VDavis gets hurt then what? And Davis is one of the highest paid TE'S i see the Niners drafting 2 TE'S He's already played for Jim and knows this offense he'll jump right in. CRABTREE,BOLDIN,DAVIS,ERTZ =points Niners draft

1 NT
2 TE
2 S
3 WR
3 CB
Share 49ersWebzone