There are 86 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

NC's Mock V1.0 3/20/2013

Ok this is the first mock I have done when it comes to trades. This was kind of difficult but bare with me. I know everyone loves a sexy mock draft but you are not going to get that from me. The Baalke drafts are always far from sexy so this is how I did it. I will try another one again before the draft but that is it.

Traded Round 1 pick (31st) to Buffalo (who was targeting Ryan Nassib with QB hungry teams lurking) for 2014 Second round pick and 6th Round pick while swapping 2013 4th round rounders (SF swaps 128th pick for Buffalo's 105th pick)

^ With this trade the 49ers are poised to have 4 picks in the first 2 rounds of the 2014 draft (kind of went with the TB and NE trade for them to grab D. Martin last year).

Traded Round 5 (164th) pick for Jacksonville's 2014 4th round pick

Traded Round 7 (237th) pick for Miami's 2014 6th round pick

DRAFT

Round 2 (34th pick) The San Francisco 49ers select:

Zach Ertz, TE, Stanford

I went with Ertz due to BPA at the spot we were sitting in. Our offense is very involved using the TE and if something were to happen to Vernon Davis it would be a nightmare if we did not have this guy. He is highly productive in the pro style offense than could transition in to our Pistol/Read option package, with terrific size at 6'6 250 LBS, as well as being an advanced route runner. The thing he WILL HAVE TO work on is his run blocking in this offense. No better coach than the man Vernon Davis himself to help him out. I was torn with this pick with a few other players as in Jesse Williams (I do not believe he leaves round 1) or Eric Reid from LSU. I just thought Ertz brings more value.


Round 2 (61) Brandon Williams, DT, Southern Missouri State

I do not know if he will fall this far but there were plenty of guys in the draft I was surprise that fell. I heard there could be a durability issue with his back but not too sure. He is a very athletic for a big man and plays with a lot of power with great effectiveness against the run, He tends to over pursue in some plays but can be coached. I think if he is there it is a no brainer.


Round 3 (74) Barrett Jones, C/G, Alabama

He is very versatile and can play anywhere on the line, Extremely intelligent and smart, battles through injuries. We know how Harbaugh likes players who can play multiple positions and with Goodwin at the end of his career I think Jones is the perfect replacement. The guy is very good at setting protection at the line.


Round 3 (93) DJ Swearinger, S, South Carolina

I had to get a safety and I do not know if he will be right here for sure but lets say he starts slipping but in return we get a violent collision blow up hitting FS that plays with great intensity, capable of man coving slot WR's, vocal team leader in college with a great passion for the game. Some flaws are he tends to be over aggressive in jumping routes and does not wrap up as a tackler well. All this can be coached along with maturity he can be a steal right here.


Round 4 (105) Kevin Reddick, MLB, UNC

With Grant and Goodman not signed I think MLB is a concern for depth in case we need to replace a Bowman or Willis (God forbid) due to injury. This guy is capable of stepping in and filling the role. He is very instinctive and has a great work ethic, powerfully built that brings swagger. I seen some mocks of him that say he could go from 3rd to 4th. I really like this guy though.


Round 4 (131C) Tyrann Matheiu, CB, LSU

Luxury pick... I am going to get some heat from one side and praise from another with you guys. I would like to have him but I would not take him as far as the comp pick awarded to us. Everyone knows about him and his history so I really do not need to explain much. Some people say he is over rated but I am a firm believer what I see is on the field is what you get. In his case that is PLAYS but this game is a lot faster and bigger in the pro's so we will see.


Round 5 (157) Cobi Hamilton, WR, Arkansas

Competitive after catch WR that is willing to go over the middle with good size and length. Not a very good route runner and seems to have some drops due to his smaller hands. He also seems to run tall. I think he could be valuable in the vertical game.

Round 5 (164) Kapron Lewis-Moore, DE/DT, Notre Dame

Comming off a torn MCL in his right knee this dude is a big long body DL thats 6'3 304 LB's. Very good at holding the ground and stacking the run, shows ability to stack and shed blockers that brings consistent effort. He has had two knee injuries and limited foot speed. I think it is a good value pick here.


Round 7 (227) Colby Cameron, QB, LA Tech

The guy put up great numbers 31 TD's and 5 picks. Bring him in to compete.


Round 7 (246C) Kayvon Webster, CB, South Florida

Provides CB and special teams depth. Tough and competitive that plays physical.


Round 7 (252) Devonte Holloman, OLB, South Carolina

Oversized SS in college that is expected to move to Strong side LB and provide special team depth.




Other prospects I liked was Duke WR Connor Vernon (5th), Nebraska RB Rex Burkhead (6th/7th), Marcus Lattimore RB South Carolina (make him sit out the 2013 season on the PUP list and unleash him in 2014) (4th), DaRick Rodgers WR (late 3rd), Margus Hunt (2nd). Anyways I hope I made some sense with my picks but we all know anything is capable in the draft as far as reaches, fall backs, and trades. I get surprised every year so I am just a fan having a little fun and not many of us will get these picks right but hey this is a hard team to mock for.
[ Edited by NC49erfan82 on Mar 21, 2013 at 5:31 AM ]
I just can't see us taking a TE first.
Not bad buddy.
Originally posted by jrg:
I just can't see us taking a TE first.

I cant see what we do after Aldon Smith and AJ Jenkins picks. Who knows what happens with Baalke. I honestly do not know what to expect.
I thought we had the 105th pick from Buffalo, but you still mocked us the 128th. (just an observation)

I like the early picks and the trades seem realistic.
I'm not going to get too nitpicky because obviously not every WZer is going to have the same idea of a perfect mock. That's what makes your mock yours and my mock mine. I like most of the players you took. I personally hate the idea of parlaying a high-end 2013 asset into a high-end 2014 asset; we're not a rebuilding team, we're a contending team that should LOAD UP. But I digress. It's a reasonable course of action and I can see it in the realm of possibility.

But I will say I think your mock overall suffers from a systematic misjudgment of priorities. A TE in the high 2nd? Kind of a luxury pick. A C in the 3rd? A fine player, but not a need. No S until the late 3rd? Do you want to risk Craig Dahl winning that starting spot? An MLB in the 4th? We're stronger at MLB than any team is at any position. We have two all-pros and just signed Skuta as primary backup. We have longtime fringe players in Gooden and Wilhoite. Now, my mock has us replacing the latter two with a late-rounder, but using a 4th is just silly.

The way I see it, sure we can go "BPA," but barring an insane value by an insane draft-day slide, you want to focus your premium picks on areas with your most urgent needs. Safeties and DL should rise toward the top for us. Luxury offensive backups should be an afterthought.
Originally posted by jrg:
I just can't see us taking a TE first.


TE is a underrated need. We run a lot of 2 TE sets so if we just have one talented TE roman will have to close up a lot of his playbook
I don't understand why we traded a 1st round pick for a 2nd round pick next yr ????
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
I'm not going to get too nitpicky because obviously not every WZer is going to have the same idea of a perfect mock. That's what makes your mock yours and my mock mine. I like most of the players you took. I personally hate the idea of parlaying a high-end 2013 asset into a high-end 2014 asset; we're not a rebuilding team, we're a contending team that should LOAD UP. But I digress. It's a reasonable course of action and I can see it in the realm of possibility.

But I will say I think your mock overall suffers from a systematic misjudgment of priorities. A TE in the high 2nd? Kind of a luxury pick. A C in the 3rd? A fine player, but not a need. No S until the late 3rd? Do you want to risk Craig Dahl winning that starting spot? An MLB in the 4th? We're stronger at MLB than any team is at any position. We have two all-pros and just signed Skuta as primary backup. We have longtime fringe players in Gooden and Wilhoite. Now, my mock has us replacing the latter two with a late-rounder, but using a 4th is just silly.

The way I see it, sure we can go "BPA," but barring an insane value by an insane draft-day slide, you want to focus your premium picks on areas with your most urgent needs. Safeties and DL should rise toward the top for us. Luxury offensive backups should be an afterthought.

I am very understanding on your comment towards the mock but what I am trying to do is not think as how other GM's and draft analyst think. I am trying to think how Baalke thinks (which is hard). I understand you guys want to use our early picks on position of need but take a look at the LMJ pick in the 2nd round. That was not a position of need pick. I am trying to do this draft based on BPA and value at the same time. Baalke's drafts are not sexy but they have been successful. The MLB spot can become an issue... Gooden and Grant are FA's and if something were to happen between Willis or Bowman where you got to have Skuta as a filler I am not going to be comfortable. I want a guy groomed to play MLB to take his role. If you have Skuta as a replacement then he has to be replaced on SPT. The draft is deep at safety and yes we may take one earlier but who knows and we may find a valued pick in with DJ sitting right there. I am not knocking your thoughts but I am just defending mine. Thanks for your response and advise. Anything could happen! I you and other people see it the way I do. The next mock I do I will not be trading out of the 1st round but it will be a few weeks before I do it. Maybe fans will like it better? Like I said this is the 1st mock I done with trades.

Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
I don't understand why we traded a 1st round pick for a 2nd round pick next yr ????

NE traded their 31'st pick for Tampa's 2nd and 4th last draft. I just threw in a extra pick in their to compensate (2nd, 4th, and a 6th). We could get a first but who knows.
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
I thought we had the 105th pick from Buffalo, but you still mocked us the 128th. (just an observation)

I like the early picks and the trades seem realistic.

We did that is my error. I will fix it! Thanks.
Yeah I dont see tight end as a need that is big enough to be worthy of a first round pick. Rath er get one in mid rounds if value is right. Personaly id like to see a safety or dlinemen with 1st pick if value is right. Having said that I think your mock is realistic and we very well may draft ertz because were not really expecting that or it doesnt appear to be one of our bigger needs. Harbaalke are known to surprise.
Nice try BUT trying to think like Trent is real tough.

Overall, I like some of the players BUT TE in the 1st No Good. If he's the BPA - I'd trade out of the spot.

Not going to try to tear it apart.

DLINE, DLINE, DLINE is my thought process after watching us lose Justin.

Just imagine what it will look like if he or Ray Mac goes down in the first game. We have Zero to step in and up to perform - we need to get the best one's we can assoon as possible.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Nice try BUT trying to think like Trent is real tough.

Overall, I like some of the players BUT TE in the 1st No Good. If he's the BPA - I'd trade out of the spot.

Not going to try to tear it apart.

DLINE, DLINE, DLINE is my thought process after watching us lose Justin.

Just imagine what it will look like if he or Ray Mac goes down in the first game. We have Zero to step in and up to perform - we need to get the best one's we can assoon as possible.

Not sure if you actually took the time and read my mock. I already traded out of the 1st to begin with and made my first pick in the 2nd round at 34 to grab Ertz and then used our 2nd second round pick to grab DL Brandon Williams. I also got Kapron Lewis-Moore in the 5th at DL. After signing Dorsey what more do you want. I think there is the depth right there as well as Dobbs (a lot of people seem to not remember him lately) returning. So what you see is J. Smith, McDonald, Dorsey, Dobbs, B. Williams, K. Lewis-Moore. Not to mention the UDFA's we will bring in. If you have something better I am all ears.
No no no dont quit your day job
Originally posted by Rgonelove:
No no no dont quit your day job

I do not plan on it. I am working right now as we speak. If you got better suggestions lets hear them.