There are 253 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2014 Draft Target: Jerry Rice's Cousin Jordan Matthews

Matthews, a cousin of the legendary Jerry Rice, is a better football player than he is an athlete. While he led the SEC with a gaudy 19.0 yards-per-catch average last season, he has good (but not great) build-up speed. His size allows him to be moved inside and out in Vandy's offense, allowing the team to find him favorable matchups and has very good hand-eye coordination to haul in tough passes, including one-handed catches.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1785887/jordan-matthews

Let's put ourselves in position for this guy next year and keep it in the family!

Honestly, like most knowledgeable fans, I was sold when I read Jerry Rice

DYNASTY WHOOOO HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rice has a son who plays college football too i think
[ Edited by RealShaloop on Mar 15, 2013 at 2:55 PM ]
I thought he would declare this season.

I actually had him in my early early mock before all the declarations.
i am following rice's barber's nephew--could be a good mid round pick
Originally posted by RealShaloop:
Rice has a son who stands on a college football sideline

Fixed.
Hey, whatever relationship you have to Rice don't matter to me....if you can play, then we should draft him
bump.

his draft stock seems to be going up. now seeing him as a late 1st rounder.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by LaMichaelJeff:
bump.

I've always thought of Matthews as a 1st round pick. With his size and speed, there's no way teams would let that slip into the 2nd round. I think Seattle would definitely target Matthews if he falls to the later part of the 1st round same with Green Bay.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
bump.

I've always thought of Matthews as a 1st round pick. With his size and speed, there's no way teams would let that slip into the 2nd round. I think Seattle would definitely target Matthews if he falls to the later part of the 1st round same with Green Bay.

looks like he may be the target for the niners if Justin Gilbert and Darqueze Dennard are off the board.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Kolohe:
bump.

looks like he may be the target for the niners if Justin Gilbert and Darqueze Dennard are off the board.

A lot of good talent out there if Matthews, Gilbert and Dennard aren't there. Those are some damn good players and I can't really see any of them falling unless they have some off the field issues or horrible Combine. I think us 9er fans will not be disappointed in this upcoming draft, there's just so much talent for the 9ers in the 1st round and the 9ers have a lot of ammo to move up too.
Good read on him, sounds like a Niner kind of player.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFL-prospect-focus-Jordan-Matthews.html
Big fan. You can tell he wants to be great. Phil Savage, who runs the Senior Bowl, said he requested tape of the CB's he will be facing, which judging by his tone, is unheard of.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/cfb/130945/jordan-matthews

Not the most athletically gifted, but underrated in that regard, and is the most ready WR in this draft IMO. Played in a West Coast offense under Franklin FYI
I'd bet on the kid. So much of production in the NFL is based on desire and heart and preparation. This kid is going to do whatever he can to make it, and having Rice in the family to hide him is gravy. Probably ends up a second rounder. Don't think measurables will blow people away, and teams are reluctant to spen first rounders on guys who aren't athletic freaks at WR or have eye popping height weight production combination.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I'd bet on the kid. So much of production in the NFL is based on desire and heart and preparation. This kid is going to do whatever he can to make it, and having Rice in the family to hide him is gravy. Probably ends up a second rounder. Don't think measurables will blow people away, and teams are reluctant to spen first rounders on guys who aren't athletic freaks at WR or have eye popping height weight production combination.

I agree. I would also bet on him.

He has excellent intangibles.

And, I think his measurables will be better than expected, precisely because he will do all the work required to do well at the Combine.

I am sold on he guy and want us to draft him either in the first or trade up higher in the second to get him.
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

I agree. I would also bet on him.

He has excellent intangibles.

And, I think his measurables will be better than expected, precisely because he will do all the work required to do well at the Combine.

I am sold on he guy and want us to draft him either in the first or trade up higher in the second to get him.

Don't think the team will draft a RB, but I like the position in this draft. Teams won't draft high for RB's, but guys like Carlos Hyde, Storm Johnson, and Isaiah Crowell are going to produce in the league and will be great value where they are selected. In fact, the best, least talked about player in this draft is Hyde, who will be a starting feature back in the NFL.