There are 145 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Trade #31 and #34 for Star Lotulelei?

Trade #31 and #34 for Star Lotulelei?

Based off Kiper's (yes, I know he usually sucks, but whatever) latest mock, Star falls to 13 to Tampa Bay, who doesn't really need him but is a great value pick. Based off the draft value chart, if we trade 31 and 34, that's almost exactly enough for the 13th pick.

I think, if his medical checks out, that this would be the steal of the draft and would actually be an immediate upgrade at the NT position. What do you guys think?
No
I think it depends who 9ers sign in free agency. If there is no impact player available at DT or safety that they can trade up for, or that falls to them, I'd like to see them continue to trade back into next years draft and get a higher #1.

I want Star or either Vaccaro or Elam. Other than them, I don't see who'd be worth taking with the top picks that would be of discernible value compared to who they could select with their remaining plethora of picks.
Has his medical panned out? I still havent heard.
There's pretty much no reason to trade up in this draft. 49ers will have enough empty spots and needs and there's enough talent, that they should be able to find highly useful players at both 31 and 34....trading up in a draft that is flat at the very top makes no sense.
If healthy, Star would be an improvement to our defense. But I don't think he would be as big an improvement as getting TWO of the following players:

Datone Jones
Jesse Williams
Jonathan Banks
Jonathan Cyprien
You're joking...right? If not, why would Baalke want to give up his top two picks...makes no sense. He should be able to land one of the best DL at #31 and whomever he wants at #34. I know Lotulelei's the top-rated DT in the draft, but I'll also tell you this...saw him play in 2011 and he was considerably more dominant than in 2012. Now we learn he has a heart condition...I'd say there's too many questions about his health and stamina to trade up to get him.
No.

There are plenty of very talented players where we are slotted.

I do see Baalke trading picks for next year's draft.

Ummm, NOOOO!
We should stay where we are and get two quality picks: one DL and one DB.
I see a team trading with 49ers for #31 to jump back into 1st round to take a QB that has fallen. We will receive that teams 1st round pick next year (which of course "should" be higher than #31 assuming that team doesnt win superbowl).

Then start our draft at #34. Essentailly only a few rookies will play year 1. why not gain a 1st round pick next year and still have two 2nd rounders and multiple 3rd rounders etc. to fill those 2-3 rookie spots on the active roster?
Originally posted by Niners23:
Based off Kiper's (yes, I know he usually sucks, but whatever) latest mock, Star falls to 13 to Tampa Bay, who doesn't really need him but is a great value pick. Based off the draft value chart, if we trade 31 and 34, that's almost exactly enough for the 13th pick.

I think, if his medical checks out, that this would be the steal of the draft and would actually be an immediate upgrade at the NT position. What do you guys think?

a) he is NOT a NT. He is a 5-tech in our scheme
b) he is not worth 2 picks
c) I'm not a fan of DLs whose scouting report consistently reads "splash player who disappears for long stretches of time." That's fine from a S, not a DE
d) We can't afford to pay the #13 pick
e) I don't anticipate we'll be using pick #34. Look for that to turn into a 2014 pick
[ Edited by RollinWith21n52 on Mar 13, 2013 at 9:36 AM ]
LOL are you serious? There is no one in this draft I would trade 2 basically first round picks for, NOOOOOOOOOBODY!!!!
All you guys need to stop posting while intoxicated.

If star fell into the mid round, and we traded our top two pics for him, i would be 100% ok with that.

Star is going to be the real deal if his heart isaint a concern.

I had him, and still do have him, as easily the best player in the draft barring his heart condition.

He's far and away the best Dlineman in this draft, its not close. And as for him being a 5 tech only, i disagree largely. He is a true space eater, and would be a great fit for our scheme at NT, but the great thing with star is his versitility. You could plug him in virtually any where on the line and he would succeed.

He is great against the run, eats space, and thats exactly what we need. He may not be the most productive pass rusher right now, but neither was Ngata.

If star fell into the teens, and we were able to use our picks to move up (would have to look at the value chart to see if it adds up) than i would be extremely happy with a move like that.

If he clears his medical i dont think philly would pass on him at 4, let alone him make it into the teens though.

Star is the only guy in this draft worth moving up for, as far as our scheme is concerned.
Watching his USC film, I dont think ive seen a player dominate the line of scrimmage in college football this season like Star did against USC. However, I would never be willing to trade essentially 2 first rounders to a guy with questions about his motor