There are 59 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Post Walker and Goldson draft (probably)

Walker gone, Goldson gone, Sop gone, RJF gone

FA - Need a DE end and OLB for rotation. Probably also O-Line help

You guys can pick who meanwhile I'll stick with the draft:

1st round - Jonathan Hankins NT
2nd round - Tank Carradine DE
2nd round - Aaron Dobson WR
3rd round - Baccari Rambo FS
3rd round - Travis Kelce TE
3/4th round - use 6th rounder to move up and get Tyrann Matthieu CB
4th round - Marcus Lattimore RB
5th round - Earl Wolffe SS
5th round - Dustin Hopkins K
6th round - trade a couple 7s to move up and get Ace Sanders PR/WR

That's ten picks, at least 5 or 6 of them must become first teamers especially with our FO.

I understand if you think I've reached for a pick or two and some will think a player or two will be gone by then but thats what happens in drafts, everyone values player differently. These are ranked similar to nfl draftscout
[ Edited by smithc28 on Mar 12, 2013 at 3:28 PM ]
Very similar to my mock: http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/171808-free-agency-eve-absolute-perfect-mock/

A DE and NT in the first two picks followed by a WR, although it appears our crushes at those positions differ. We both put Rambo and Mathieu in the 3rd. Keep in mind I don't think you can trade comp picks, so one of our 3s is stuck at the end of the round. If we want to move up, it has to be using the "middle" 3rd.

I don't know anything about Kelce, but obviously a Walker replacement is a priority. I don't think we need to go for a prolific pass catching TE, but rather just get another hybrid h-back type with decent speed who can block and run routes. I think taking a guy like that in the 3rd is a reach. It's a position where you can take a tweener late and convert them.

That's the biggest difference in our mocks; I use the other 3rd on a pass rusher. Your draft has zero OLBs. Lattimore is a popular and interesting options for obvious reasons. I'd feel better about the risk in the 5th.
YES PLEASE!!!

I think the more attention we pay to the DL the better. I'm on board with spending the first two on the DL, but if not the first two, at least a few of the early ones.

It's also obvious we need another TE in this draft. I'm not sure about any of the lower tier prospects but if Eifert starts to slide, maybe we should snatch him
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:
YES PLEASE!!!

I think the more attention we pay to the DL the better. I'm on board with spending the first two on the DL, but if not the first two, at least a few of the early ones.

It's also obvious we need another TE in this draft. I'm not sure about any of the lower tier prospects but if Eifert starts to slide, maybe we should snatch him

Ertz at #31 or #34 is a far likelier match for us than trading up into Eifert range (teens or 20s). Ertz is a nice piece if we're really insistent on wanting another high-end pass catching TE. But should we? We have Vernon, Crabtree, and Boldin as very physical pass catchers. We have a question mark at WR3 and WR4 pending the Jenkins, Williams, and Manningham situations.

In replacing Walker, I don't think we should worry about getting a high end pass catching TE. A late-round h-back prospect who can play ST is what we need. If we're going to spend pick in the first three rounds on a pass catcher, it should be on a WR prospect to round out the Crabtree, Bolding, Jenkins foursome and develop behind Boldin.
Tank is not a fit for our defense he's a DE4-3... no need to waste #31 on a DT when he wont play alot mid round on a DT like Williams or Hughes ...luv tha Wolff pick have him in my mock I'm working on
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
Tank is not a fit for our defense he's a DE4-3... no need to waste #31 on a DT when he wont play alot mid round on a DT like Williams or Hughes ...luv tha Wolff pick have him in my mock I'm working on

Funny a lot of experts say he can play either 4-3 or 3-4 as a Defensive end. He's dropped in the draft due to his injury and could be a good rotational for J Smith like Aldon was in 2011 eventually becoming a starter next year. He's a pass rushing monster and would suit our needs badly.
  • kent
  • Veteran
I think Carradine would be a great fit. At a minimum, he could play inside on passing downs and spell Brooks and ASmith in the base. May project to replace JSmith in the future if he could add 10lbs.

Side note: it's fun to project guys to the 49ers who are considered to be available in the draft below their value due to injury or character concerns. Guys like Carradine, Lattimore, Rogers and the like. Not sure, however, our current FO feels similarly. Cannot recall them taking many of these risks in rounds 1-4 since Gore and McDonald. I guess there were immaturity concerns about Crabtree (which he proved at the time with a holdout ). But, in general, I do not recall to many injury/character risks being taken. Just guys that are healthy and "wired right".