LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 266 users in the forums

Is there a "Delanie Walker" in this years draft?

With DWalk gone, is there anyone in this years draft that could be a fit. I took a quick glance at some measureables and Mark Harrison of Rutgers looks the part. 6'3" 231 4.46 40-time. He was really inconsistant from what I have read, but with proper coaching, he could be something. Thoughts?
Originally posted by xjrillx:
With DWalk gone, is there anyone in this years draft that could be a fit. I took a quick glance at some measureables and Mark Harrison of Rutgers looks the part. 6'3" 231 4.46 40-time. He was really inconsistant from what I have read, but with proper coaching, he could be something. Thoughts?

What position is Harrison listed in pre-draft rankings, etc? I wondered this same question in my mock draft thread: http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/171808-free-agency-eve-absolute-perfect-mock/

Anyone have ideas on Delanie replacements in Round 6 if we lose him? The names Kyle Juszczyk, Mychal Rivera, and Chris Gragg are coming up when I google H-back prospects. Thoughts?
A couple TEs I've thought about for my mock that might fit are:

Escobar - A bit taller but looks like a good all purpose type of player
Sims - Reminds of that guy the Vikes had for years, Wiggins. Looks like an O lineman but can catch and run a little in addition to being a good blocker
Im on the Dion Sims bandwagon. Also maybe getting travis beckum late in free agency.
Mark Harrison. Physical, good leaper, quality blocker, questionable hands and he's 3 inches taller. Draft him in the 6th round, let him sit and develop.

Chris Gragg is an actual tight-end who had a very good showing at the Combine, very athletic, needs to develop as a blocker however. Not sure if he can ever be a dominant blocker.

Vance McDonald and Dion Sims are probably my two favorites in the 3rd round and below.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 12, 2013 at 3:49 PM ]
I don't think he's really a Walker replacement, but I like Toilolo a lot as later round pick. I think he would bring a lot of what's been missing in our offense: ability to go up high and get passes above DBs.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Mark Harrison. Physical, good leaper, quality blocker, questionable hands and he's 3 inches taller. Draft him in the 6th round, let him sit and develop.

Agree that we should not have to reach any higher than 6th round for a Delanie's replacement. Hard to predict which prospect it would be. Could easily be a Bruce Miller conversion situation. But Harrison does seem to have a good combination of size and speed to be comparable to Walker.
Travis Kelce is a very intriguing prospect but there has been talk of character concerns, he was basically suspended for a whole season, he's got all the traits to be a successful tight-end in the NFL but character issues definitely are worrisome. Blocking wise he's a beast...and also a legitimate threat as a receiver.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 12, 2013 at 3:54 PM ]
Reed from the Florida Gators?
Yeah. In the 6th round. Boldin!

Not this year, but next year keep an eye on Chris Coyle of ASU. We use him as an H-Back and his skill set translates very well to a Delanie Walker type role.

I haven't ranked next years players yet, but nfldraftscout ranks him as #4 of Senior TEs next year.
Originally posted by OtisDriftwood:
Im on the Dion Sims bandwagon. Also maybe getting travis beckum late in free agency.

Beckum would be familiar with the 49er type of offense having played in a similar system at Wisconsin. He was pretty good there I might add.
Marcus Davis is another guy who could potentially be a Walker-type of player (WR, H-back, TE). Most people see him as a WR and rightfully so, but he has the same dimensions as Mark Harrison and Jordan Reed (6'3", 230+) with good speed and playmaking ability....not unlike Delanie Walker coming out of college. Matt Furstenburg from Maryland is another possibility.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Mar 12, 2013 at 4:16 PM ]
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Marcus Davis is another guy who could potentially be a Walker-type of player (WR, H-back, TE). Most people see him as a WR and rightfully so, but he has the same dimensions as Mark Harrison and Jordan Reed (6'3", 230+) with good speed and playmaking ability....not unlike Delanie Walker coming out of college. Matt Furstenburg from Maryland is another possibility.

He looks like a good prospect imo
I personally like Michael Williams TE Alabama. 6'5" 269. He fits our style to a T, with none of the character concerns of Dion Sims my second favorite.
Share 49ersWebzone