There are 556 users in the forums
Johnthan Banks, CB out of Miss State
- 1 2
Mar 11, 2013 at 8:41 PM
- D-Money
- Veteran
- Posts: 429
There is only one Richard Sherman both on and off the field! I would love the addition of Johnthan Banks. He is a ballhawk but isn't afraid to come up in run support either. If he falls to the mid second and we haven't selected a corner yet, we should trade up to get him.
Mar 11, 2013 at 8:50 PM
- tatdwolf49
- Veteran
- Posts: 3,206
I'm just worried he's not as fast as others I'm liking Desmond trufant good size good skills N speedy
Mar 11, 2013 at 8:55 PM
- Phoenix49ers
- Veteran
- Posts: 132,395
d than oops...my bad.
I see him as one of the premier cornerback's in the draft, he fell off after his Combine showing but he's a tremendous talent, big corner with great man-to-man coverage ability, sticks to his receiver like glue, there is a good chance that he might be available for the 49ers in the 1st round and if Datone Jones is gone, I would take Banks in a heartbeat, lots of potential, very intelligent player and a good character guy.
I see him as one of the premier cornerback's in the draft, he fell off after his Combine showing but he's a tremendous talent, big corner with great man-to-man coverage ability, sticks to his receiver like glue, there is a good chance that he might be available for the 49ers in the 1st round and if Datone Jones is gone, I would take Banks in a heartbeat, lots of potential, very intelligent player and a good character guy.
Mar 11, 2013 at 8:55 PM
- Hammerthrow99
- Veteran
- Posts: 846
I was a huge Banks fan! But now with Percy twice a year I'm thinking Trufant might be the way to go.
Mar 11, 2013 at 8:56 PM
- Phoenix49ers
- Veteran
- Posts: 132,395
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
I'm just worried he's not as fast as others I'm liking Desmond trufant good size good skills N speedy
Who cares? The guy is a gamer, he plays football well. There's plenty of cornerbacks who weren't all that fast, neither Richard Sherman nor Joe Haden ran under 4.55 and they turned out fine. At his Pro-Day, Banks ran a 4.51, so he's not slow by any means.
Mar 11, 2013 at 8:58 PM
- Beeker
- Veteran
- Posts: 3,785
Strictly personal opinion but
Trufant > Banks.
Let the screaming, kicking, and flaming commence!!
Trufant > Banks.
Let the screaming, kicking, and flaming commence!!
Mar 11, 2013 at 8:58 PM
- Phoenix49ers
- Veteran
- Posts: 132,395
Originally posted by Hammerthrow99:
I was a huge Banks fan! But now with Percy twice a year I'm thinking Trufant might be the way to go.
As much as Trufant has had an amazing offseason, when you look at actual games, its clear who the better player was. Trufant could very well turn out to be a good cornerback, but simply selecting him on the basis of what he's done in a couple months compared with what Banks has done over the past few years is short-sighted IMO. I still think Banks ends up being the better NFL cornerback. Banks is a guy who basically could lockdown one whole side of the field, in the SEC, playing against better competition.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 11, 2013 at 8:59 PM ]
Mar 11, 2013 at 9:07 PM
- birdie2bogey
- Veteran
- Posts: 1,412
I know it means nothing but Kiper and Mayock don't even list him in the top 5 of Corners and has Jamar Taylor rising. I think there is a chance this guy drops to the middle of the second round and that could be a steal. I just like his versatility and his above average instincts. Also, he is loaded with confidence and has stated that he can cover the best WRs the NFL has to offer. That is a stretch for any college player, but he looks like he plays a lot faster than his time. If we land this guy in the second round, I would be psyched. Now that we have a complement to Crabtree, I don't see a need to draft a wideout in the first three rounds, which leaves d-line and the secondary. I say we load up on physical players with great production in college.
I just think the value is there and everything I see suggests that he is dropping, so I don't see the negative. Trufant may end up being the better corner, but he is rising to the first round and will most likely be gone by the niners pick. If the Baalke is thinking about trading up to get Trufant, that is fine and I trust it, but with Banks falling, there is an opportunity. Also, Baalke values front seven bodies more than the secondary guys, so I don't see him drafting a safety or corner in the first. I could be wrong. I never thought they would draft Aldon Smith at #7 and that worked out just fine
I just think the value is there and everything I see suggests that he is dropping, so I don't see the negative. Trufant may end up being the better corner, but he is rising to the first round and will most likely be gone by the niners pick. If the Baalke is thinking about trading up to get Trufant, that is fine and I trust it, but with Banks falling, there is an opportunity. Also, Baalke values front seven bodies more than the secondary guys, so I don't see him drafting a safety or corner in the first. I could be wrong. I never thought they would draft Aldon Smith at #7 and that worked out just fine
[ Edited by birdie2bogey on Mar 11, 2013 at 9:13 PM ]
Mar 11, 2013 at 9:20 PM
- Phoenix49ers
- Veteran
- Posts: 132,395
Originally posted by birdie2bogey:
I know it means nothing but Kiper and Mayock don't even list him in the top 5 of Corners and has Jamar Taylor rising. I think there is a chance this guy drops to the middle of the second round and that could be a steal. I just like his versatility and his above average instincts. Also, he is loaded with confidence and has stated that he can cover the best WRs the NFL has to offer. That is a stretch for any college player, but he looks like he plays a lot faster than his time. If we land this guy in the second round, I would be psyched. Now that we have a complement to Crabtree, I don't see a need to draft a wideout in the first three rounds, which leaves d-line and the secondary. I say we load up on physical players with great production in college.
I just think the value is there and everything I see suggests that he is dropping, so I don't see the negative. Trufant may end up being the better corner, but he is rising to the first round and will most likely be gone by the niners pick. If the Baalke is thinking about trading up to get Trufant, that is fine and I trust it, but with Banks falling, there is an opportunity. Also, Baalke values front seven bodies more than the secondary guys, so I don't see him drafting a safety or corner in the first. I could be wrong. I never thought they would draft Aldon Smith at #7 and that worked out just fine
If you want to laugh....go back and look at Mayock and Kiper's Top 5 lists about a month prior to the draft over the past 5 years....hell look over the past couple of years. There's plenty of misses there. Banks was enormously productive in college and I think he'll drop because other guys look better in shorts and sneakers but he's a damn good cornerback ultimately and was simply a guy who shut opposing receivers down.
Mar 11, 2013 at 9:26 PM
- tatdwolf49
- Veteran
- Posts: 3,206
When was banks port day cause I'm sure I seen banks 40time 4.6 something on NFL scouting reports tha other day ... I know its about yrs of showing good not just months I'm just thinking about some of those speedy WRs ...
Mar 11, 2013 at 9:29 PM
- SunDevilNiner79
- Hall of Fame
- Posts: 61,657
I love Banks as a prospect. Had him above Milliner before combine.
I saw sites comparing him to Casey Hayward early on and I dismissed them, but I see what they were saying.
No doubt in my mind Banks can play at the NFL level. He is too smart, too savy to not cut it. The upsetting part is he probably lacks the athleticism to become the shutdown corner I thought he could be.
Edit: And the sad part is you draft the athlete over the football player (although all GMs will say publicly otherwise). It just comes form the saying "you can't teach speed."
I saw sites comparing him to Casey Hayward early on and I dismissed them, but I see what they were saying.
No doubt in my mind Banks can play at the NFL level. He is too smart, too savy to not cut it. The upsetting part is he probably lacks the athleticism to become the shutdown corner I thought he could be.
Edit: And the sad part is you draft the athlete over the football player (although all GMs will say publicly otherwise). It just comes form the saying "you can't teach speed."
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Mar 11, 2013 at 9:31 PM ]
Mar 11, 2013 at 9:35 PM
- Phoenix49ers
- Veteran
- Posts: 132,395
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
I love Banks as a prospect. Had him above Milliner before combine.
I saw sites comparing him to Casey Hayward early on and I dismissed them, but I see what they were saying.
No doubt in my mind Banks can play at the NFL level. He is too smart, too savy to not cut it. The upsetting part is he probably lacks the athleticism to become the shutdown corner I thought he could be.
Edit: And the sad part is you draft the athlete over the football player (although all GMs will say publicly otherwise). It just comes form the saying "you can't teach speed."
I had him 2nd among all cornerbacks, pretty much all the way up to the Combine. He's such an instinctive player, I think he can't help but be a playmaker in the NFL and I feel like there will be quite a few teams that regret passing him up. He's especially tremendous defending in the red-zone, his length allows him to cover a lot of space and make up a lot of ground in a hurry.
Mar 11, 2013 at 9:39 PM
- 49erRob
- Veteran
- Posts: 45
I absolutely love this kid! I'd be ecstatic if the 49ers drafted him.
Mar 11, 2013 at 9:45 PM
- birdie2bogey
- Veteran
- Posts: 1,412
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
If you want to laugh....go back and look at Mayock and Kiper's Top 5 lists about a month prior to the draft over the past 5 years....hell look over the past couple of years. There's plenty of misses there. Banks was enormously productive in college and I think he'll drop because other guys look better in shorts and sneakers but he's a damn good cornerback ultimately and was simply a guy who shut opposing receivers down.
I just referenced them to see where his stock is going. I think he is a 1st round talent that could drop to the 2nd. I feel that history shows there can be great value in the secondary beyond round 1. Our secondary is proof with Brown in the 4th I believe and then Culliver in the 3rd. You are right about how much those supposed draft analysts abandon their analysis of these players after they are at the combine. Banks was challenging Milliner and Rhodes for the best corner until the combine. I just don't buy that his combine numbers make him any less of a physical presence on the outside. I agree with you and I hope he falls to the 2nd round, which would be a great value for him.
- 1 2