LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 281 users in the forums

remember in making your projections that the players you project to 49ers ...

that their talents/dimesnions should be compatible to 49ers offensive and defensive schemes

this is noted with detail in the new Pro Fotball weekly draft magazine...

offensively the niners under roman have used a west coast offense as a base scheme, though last year late they incorporated alot of pistol, read option elements...their blocking schemes are, according to PFW man to man, power (so olineman who have played in zone blocking schemes may be less attractive to them)...

the niners need a second receiver to complement crabtree, who is the z receiver in niners scheme, which typically features greater size to fend off defenders jams and strength to work accross the middle and run after the catch...prototypical z receivers in this draft include cordareele patterson, keenan allen, chris harper, deandre hopkins, aaron dobson, darick rogers, quinton patton. marcus davis, josh boyce and aaron mellete (as ranked in order by PFWs evaluators)
I would expect niners may, bacause they have crabtree, look for an X receiver; x receivers work mostly outside and do most of their damage downfield...although crabtree has played x before, so if one of the aforementioned Zs is really somebody they like, they could take him
X receivers would include, again in the order PFW ranks them, terrence williams, justin hunter, markus wheaton, steadman bailey, cobi hamilton, marquise goodwin, corey fuller, tavares king, tyrone goard and marquess wilson...my hunch would be one of these guys is more likely a better fit for niners needs

then their are the slot guys, who typically work the short passing game..given niners reported interst in wes welker, they could be looking at guys like tavon austin, ace sanders, robert woods, conner vernon ryan swope, jasper collins, kenny stills, denard robinson, alec lemon or alan bonner (PFWs top 10 slot guys--i dont know how ace sanders ransk ahead of robert woods here

if niners lose delanie walker they may be looking to a similar style hback prospect..chris gragg, kyle juszczyk, joseph auria., marquies gray (former qb) and matt fursten berg

at center, a potential niners need,travis frederick and lamar mady project as man to man power blockers
backup guards who are rated as good prospects in the power man to man blocking schemes include hugh thorton, brian winters, alvin bailey dallas thomas edmund kugbila, jeff baca, travis bond and eric herman

as noted before matt scott has experience in the pistol read option offensive schemes

a look at the defense will follow in another post
Chris Harper and DeAndre Hopkins please.
Great post. I've been wanting someone to break down the WR from a more strategic standpoint for me. I agree that a leaner downfield threat would make more sense with Crabtree, who is tough as nails and excels in the shorter and intermediate stuff.

All told, though, I'm hoping WR is a position we can address in free agency. Our #1 is set with Crabtree, and Jenkins figures to be a downfield #2 or a slot guy unless he's a bust. What we need is a PROVEN #2 to round out the trio while Manningham rehabs (or if we cut Manningham). I think this offense needs a proven guy, not a 2nd round guy who needs to learn the ropes. We can use those high picks on the DL and secondary.
  • kent
  • Veteran
Good point on fitting the scheme but I would prefer they focus on player talent. The 49ers throw a LOT of stuff out there from multiple tight ends to spread on offense and 3-4 to 4-3 to 4-2-5 on defense.

I could see them taking a pair like Carradine and Hopkins with their first two picks. At first look, both would seem to work against the "scheme" concept.

Carradine projected more as a 4-3 DE but seems to have a ton of talent and versatility. He could rotate in with Brooks and ASmith in the base defense and make an impact inside on passing downs. He might even fit as a 3-4 DE over time as he is very close to Datone Jones in size.

Hopkins is no burner but looks to me like a better receiver than the taller guys like Hunter or Williams. This would leave the 49ers with two possession type guys but that worked pretty well for Arizona in the day. An effective slot guy can be added for the missing x-factor and there seem to be a lot of those in this draft. I like the highlights of some of the later guys like Swope (concussions), Boyce (foot), Sanders (size) and Robinson (position).
  • kent
  • Veteran
.... and the 49ers pick up their second possession receiver today (though maybe not a starter)
Originally posted by kent:
.... and the 49ers pick up their second possession receiver today (though maybe not a starter)

I think Boldin is locked in as the 49ers #2 WR from the get-go. Hell of an acquisition. I could really see them go after someone like Tavon Austin now. On the other hand, Seattle not having a pick increases the chances that Datone Jones falls to the 49ers. Lots of interesting developments.
  • kent
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I think Boldin is locked in as the 49ers #2 WR from the get-go. Hell of an acquisition. I could really see them go after someone like Tavon Austin now. On the other hand, Seattle not having a pick increases the chances that Datone Jones falls to the 49ers. Lots of interesting developments.

You are probably correct there, though I doubt he will affect their draft strategy. If a WR they like drops, maybe like Allen, Hopkins, Austin or Patterson (wouldn't that be fun), I think they would take them. And take more later in the draft as well.

I like the Bolden pickup and think it will work out well but draft-wise it is really just a 6th round pickup...an expensive, short term one with a lot of talent and proven production. If they were to cut him (not saying this is a likelihood), all that is lost would be a 6th. They still retain flexibility.

In general, I expect the 49ers will fill all of their needs through free agency before the draft (with the possible exception of kicker). The good teams can do this just like the 49ers did last year. Allows them the most flexibility in the draft. Like draftees, not all free agents will end up making the team.
I think you are a bit misleading on your definition of x,y, and z receiver positions. The x receiver (or split-end) lines up on the line-of-scrimmage. So they need to be able to get off the jam from the CB. Some guys do this with size and strength, others with quickness and speed. The best split-ends have both.

Some of the guys you mentioned are not good at getting off the jam and are better suited to play y (flanker). I believe that we are getting Boldin to play X because he is physical and can beat physical corners at the line. In the draft, Rogers and Hopkins are very good at this too.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by kent:

Very nice move by the 49ers! They are doing very good in taking care of the needs they have.
Originally posted by blm7754:
I think you are a bit misleading on your definition of x,y, and z receiver positions. The x receiver (or split-end) lines up on the line-of-scrimmage. So they need to be able to get off the jam from the CB. Some guys do this with size and strength, others with quickness and speed. The best split-ends have both.

Some of the guys you mentioned are not good at getting off the jam and are better suited to play y (flanker). I believe that we are getting Boldin to play X because he is physical and can beat physical corners at the line. In the draft, Rogers and Hopkins are very good at this too.

im using the terminology used by PFW--they use X (split end) and Z (flanker) not y

Share 49ersWebzone