There are 149 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

my ideal mock offseason

My first post ever on here and i decided to go all out. Tell me what you think

This is my ideal offseason as i see it. I do try to be somewhat realistic but also realize and acknowledge i have no clue what Balke is going to do but this would be my favorite offseason as. When it comes to the draft i dont think any of us know what balke is going to do we have a ton of picks and so i could see us trading up (which Balke has done in the past) or we could trade down and stalk pile picks for next year (ala last year) I have no clue. I do know Balke and Harbaugh will know the players they want and move up or down as they see fit in order to get those players. Since i nor you have any clue I am just going to do the draft as though we stay put with our picks (even though i know that wont happen in real life). I also acknowledge that i am going to be somewhat optamistic that the players i want will still be there when we pick. While this is true i will also say that if i pick someone it is because i have seen Mock drafts by experts that have those players droping to us even if the majority have them off the board earlier ( in other words this is with everything falling they best possible way i can fathom.

Re-sign:
Delanie Walker - this of coarse is dependant on him not being offered starting TE money from else where. if we can get him at back up TE money i say we do so. He helps our offense in so many different ways as the 2nd TE in our offense. If he does leave though i am confident in Harbalke to find a suitable replacement via draft and/or FA.

Players not to re-sign
Eric Bakhtiari DE
Tramaine Brock CB
Leonard Davis G
Ted Ginn Jr. WR
Tavares Goodness
Larry Grant LB
Clark Haggans LB
Ricky Jean Francois DE
John Matthews WR
Darcel McBath S
Ryan Pontbriand C
Mike Wilhoite LB
Dashon Goldson FS

Free agents to Sign

FS- Either Ed Reed or Charles Woodson. I like Goldson but we don't want to pay him the kind of money he is going to receive (especially since i believe he is somewhat of a liability in pass coverage) I would prefer Ed Reed he still provides solid tackling and big hits but is better in coverage than Goldson and will cause greater concern for QB's when throwing downfield. Woodson would be good for similar reasoning as Reed but is more of an injury worry and not as hard of a hitter as Reed. Either way Reed or Woodson would in my opinion provide an upgrade over Goldson (at a lower cost), leadership and a great 1-2 year bridge to help train a drafted Safety and prepare them for when Reed/ Woodson's deal is up.

D Line or OLB veteran Pass Rusher- The Niners have already shown interest in a couple of these types of players (J. Abraham, C Jenkins), There are a few others out there like this (my personal choice would be R. Seymore or Sammie lee hiil out of Detroit). I am convinced Harbalke wants and will sign one of these type of players. I think we will draft one or 2 of these type of players as well but i think the team wants someone proven and will sign one of these players who wants a championship before they retire to a lower level 1 or 2 year deal.

WR - a Tall/ Big WR someone who could be had on the cheap would be a good pick up. (i'm really thinking particularly of former Bills WR David Nelson (6-5) who was injured last year).

QB - Josh Johnson (or someone like him), I think if he is available we pick him back up ( he is ideally suited as a back up QB for Kaep). I think the only reason Tozien beat him out last year is Tolzien was more like our starter (Smith) now that Kaep is our starting QB Johnson makes more since for his similar attributes. He, tolzien and a late QB draft pick can compete for the 2 back up spots

TRADE

A.Smith

Cut

M.Manningham (injury worries combined with cost)
D.Akers
C.Hall

Restructuring of contract, trade (there are some teams that are switching to 3-4 schemes that could be interested) or cut
P.Haralson

Possible cuts but i think they should stay around for competition in TC
P. Haralson
A.Dixon
Williams
W.Tukuafu

Draft:

RD1- Pick # 31
Tavon Austin WR

Austin is a huge draft crush for me but more than that i think the thought of having him on the field with gore/hunter/James, Crabtree, VD, and Kaep would be very scary for teams around the league. I think this pick makes since because unlike most I think AJ Jenkins (last years first rounder) is going to be our #2 receiver on the outside (Jenkins is not a slot receiver as so many have said) in college he usually worked from the outside and he is not shifty enough to be out of the slot, I believe Jenkins (who is 6 ft) was drafted to be an outside deep threat he has the hands and speed and route running if he bulks up some and gets stronger i think he will be quite good and I think Balke/Harbaugh thinks the same and there plan all along was for Jenkins to sit under Moss and Manningham for a year and then come in and be a major contributor in year 2 (for this reason I don't I think they will draft Receivers such as D. Rodgers, Q Patton and D. Hopkins as they believe Jenkins will play that role.) Thus, Austin who is an ideal slot receiver who has outstanding field vision, blazing speed and is amazingly elusive, is perfect for us this draft. He is also ideal for WR end arounds and can even line up in the backfield as a RB from time to time. On top of all that he is a great Kick and punt returner and in my mind would take over those duties immediately. This kid will be a threat to go the distance every time he touches the ball especially with the great blocking our team has and G. Roman will be creative in ways to get him the ball. If we get Austin we could easily put up over 30 points again (bank on it.) For those of you who wanted to trade for Percy Harvin i give you an alternative that is more affordable and under team controll for 4 years.

For the Record if Austin is not available at our pick it would change my draft significantly but i would probably try to draft Marcus Wheaton late in the second round for a similar role in the offense.

RD 2- Pick# 34
Johnathan Banks CB

I have heard many say if we dont get Banks in the first he wont be available i think that is silly if he is available for our 31st pick there will be only 2 picks until our next pick in the second RD.

Height he is 6-2, length and competitive nature could make him a starter. Good hands for the interception, can high-point passes and make difficult catches with superb concentration. - NFL.com

Banks has been lowered on a lot of peoples draft Board because of a slow 40 time. I believe this could make him a draft day steal because I believe he might be the truest shutdown Corner in the draft. He may not be the most athletically gifted in the draft but he shut people down in college and could immediately challenge for a starting spot at one of the outside CB positions on our team. For those of you who want to trade for Revis i give you a shutdown CB who is more affordable and under team controll for the next 4 years

RD 2- Pick# 61

Tank Corradine DE

As a Senior He started 12 games, registering 80 total tackles, including 13 tackles for loss, 11 of which were sacks but he tore his ACL toward the end of the season. I believe Corradine to be an equal tallent to Datone Jones (Some one who many mocks have us taking in the first RD) But he has dropped out of first RD projections due to injury. He would provide added talent at DE and added pass rush ability(Corradine has drawn comparisons to Justin tuck when healthy).

Rd 3- Pick # 74
Phillip Thomas FS or SS

Athletic, physical defender. Strong tackler with good length and the attitude to throw down ballcarrier. Breaks down well when approaching ballcarriers in space, has quick feet and agility to make the stop. Quick enough to stay with tight ends and some receivers in coverage, can undercut to knock away or pick off late throws. Nice ball skills to extend away from his frame to make the moderate-to-difficult interception. Sticks his nose in against the run when making that read, fills a hole, flows through traffic to find the ball, or adds himself into piles with reckless abandon. Comes downhill from two-deep look with speed. Adept blitzer off the edge, makes ballcarrier pay in thebackfield if not accounted for.A gruesome left leg injury forced Thomas to question his potential NFL future, but the senior was everywhere in 2012 and looked as good as new. Thomas thrives at going up and getting it in coverage. - NFL.com

Rd 3- Pick # 93
Brandon Williams NT

Just the third player in Division II history to be recognized as a three-time All-American,Williams earned an opportunity to prove himself against the nation's elite at the Senior Bowl and turned heads in doing so.Despite possessing the frame of a traditional run-stuffing nose guard, Williams was used up and down the line at Missouri Southern and proved to be quite a pass rushing terror, smashing the school record with 27 career sacks. This wasn't the case of a player dominating weak competition in a few games, Williams recorded at least one tackle for loss in all but one contest during his senior season.He ranked second on the team with 68 tackles in 2012 (including 31 solo stops) and recorded 16.5 tackles for loss, 8.5 of which were sacks.Cbssports.com

I believe Williams to be our ideal replacement NT in the draft he can come in right away and be in the rotation of our line on running downs.
He also joined Alabama's Dee Milliner and Mississippi State's Johnthan Banks as a finalist for the 2012 Thorpe Award as the nation's top defender.

He could be a developement Safety behind REEd/ Woodson or maybeeven take Whitners spot in the Starting line up if he performs well enough in camp.

Rd 3- comp pick

Kyle Long OT

Son of Howie Long is very talented and could be our back tackle for either side. Was considered a good pitching prospect and so only recently has focused in on football. With coaching though could develope into a solid nil line me he definitely has the size, pedigree and work ethic.

Rd 4- pick# 127
Marcus Lattimore RB

Would be a great pick for us as he is a first Rd talent but injuries to his knees make him drop to hear. we would probably redshirt him his first year and groom him to be Gores replacement the year or 2 after that. He has the talent and really reminds me of Gores running style not to mention there similar injury history.

Rd 5- pick 152
EJ Manuel QB

I have seen him slated any where from 3rd to 6th Rd would be a good back up qb for Kaep with similar skill set just not nearly as fast but has great arm strngth and is mobile enough to run similar offense. would compete with Johnson and Tolzien for the 2 back qb spots.

Rd 5- pick 159

Tyrann Maththieu CB

I have seen several experts mocks with him going in the 5th while i have seen others with him in the 3rd or 4th. He is actually a better talent and player than any of those round and on field play wise should probably go in the 2nd rd, however he is a player who has had a lot of off the field problems and so his stock is very low compared to his on field play. That being said i think harbaugh and our strong core of players should be able to help him with the off field issues so if he does make his way to the with we should take him. He is really to small as a cb to guard the outside but i think he is gonna be a great cover guy in the slot. great change of direction and speed should allow him to keep up with the smaller recievers that play out of the slot in the NFL.

Rd 6- pick 171
Dustin Hopkins K

Best kicker available in draft. some say he will be gone at this point some say he will last till the 7th i thought this was a happy medium but we definitely want a good kicker and he is the guy you should draft out of all of them.

Rd 6- pick 191
Mark Harrison WR

Has the size and athletic ability to be a great player in the nfl but has never put it together on the field for results. He could be a TE due to size and stregth but would need to work on his blocking however he does also have the speed to be a WR if he works on his routes in and out of his breaks.

Rd 7- pick 213
Cornelius Washington

Big Powerful OLB that can rush the passer and has the ability athletically but needs to be coached up quite a bit to use his natural size stregth and athletic gifts.

Rd 7- comp
Joseph Foria

6-7 TE who needs to work on strength and learn to block but is already a good pass catcher and great Red Zone threat.

Rd 7- comp

Zach Line RB/FB/LB

I am convinced the NIners will take a late RD flier on this guy at the combine they were seen communicating with him and he is the type of player they like. He ran for a ton of yards in College at RB but does not real have the speed to be a geat every down RB in the NFL. with that being said he is a good and willing blocker who also used to play LB. he is known as a special teams ace as well. He is quicker than most FB's and a better runner but i believe he would be brought on as Bruce millers back up/ competition. Not as big as Miller but could run and catch the ball better out of back field and still block well. Overall he give the offense even more options than miller does at FB.

There is my completed off season I would love it if even half of it came true!!!

What are your thoughts?
Good job!

Overall, nice mock offseason, but I highly doubt we go after Ed Reed or Charles Woodson. I think both of those guys will command too much money for our taste. David Nelson does make a lot of sense and overall your mock draft hits a lot of our needs.

I think we will put more emphasis on D-line, but overall good start and welcome!

Wow. That is probably my ideal draft as well.

Well done sir, well done

Don't understand why ppl want us to draft a shrimp we when we need a bigg tough one N we don't need another RB even if he sits for a yr ...if what I've read tank fits more of a 4-3 DE so I'm not sure about him luv tha Williams pick banks is growing on me although I wonder about Logan Ryan at CB ..Hopkins luv but to play it safe think we should spend a 5th round on him luv fauria pick dude is a red zone TD machine
This would be a nice draft, but the picks are somewhat unrealistic. Tavon is expected to go in the teens/twenties, Carradine is a fringe first rounder, Philip Thomas and Kyle Long are 2nd rounders, and E.J. Manuel is definitely a late 2nd rounder at worst at this point.
LMAO, I stopped reading when you said "FS- Either Ed Reed or Charles Woodson."

If u want to pay old guys alot of money to play for us, we might as well re-sign Ronnie Lott and Eric Wright.
[ Edited by kronik on Mar 9, 2013 at 12:37 PM ]
Tank Carradine is not a fit at 3-4 DE. He is an edge rusher. Asking him to play the 5-technique and two-gap is a waste of his ability, and he lacks the anchor for it. He is also probably too big and not athletic enough to play 3-4 OLB.

As an FSU fan, I think he'll be an excellent pro and I'm rooting for him, but he'll be a 4-3 DE for someone.
Nice
Originally posted by rodgerscomehome:
This would be a nice draft, but the picks are somewhat unrealistic. Tavon is expected to go in the teens/twenties, Carradine is a fringe first rounder, Philip Thomas and Kyle Long are 2nd rounders, and E.J. Manuel is definitely a late 2nd rounder at worst at this point.

As I said in my original post:

"I also acknowledge that i am going to be somewhat optamistic that the players i want will still be there when we pick. While this is true i will also say that if i pick someone it is because i have seen Mock drafts by experts that have those players droping to us even if the majority have them off the board earlier ( in other words this is with everything falling they best possible way i can fathom."
I don't know about getting Woodson or Reed in FA.... I think the team views Trenton Robinson to fill the role at FS. They will probably draft some competition for him, or maybe sign a low profile FA. But Woodson and Reed are probably not likely.

As for the draft, it is very good overall. The Tavon Austin pick really comes down to how you view AJ Jenkins. I view Jenkins as too small and weak to be an effective split-end. He needs that space off the line. I think if he develops, he and Crabtree would handle slot and flanker roles in 3 WR sets.

Without Moss and Manningham, we don't have a split-end. IMO neither Jenkins or Austin could fill that role. Crabtree could, but he's our premier WR and belongs at flanker in 2 and 3 WR sets. So I think Rogers, Hopkins, or Patton are better WR picks than Austin for us.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Cool, not bad...

Re-sign Walker - Agree. He needs to put in more time at practice catching Kaps passes before/during camp!

Players not to re-sign - Agree with most, but If management can figure a way out to keep Goldson/RJF/Grant, then that actually is better for the team. A lot of people like the idea of Goldson moving to SS. Also, he's a good leader in the secondary! RJF is good for depth in all positions of the D-Line. Grant is a number one on any other team! There will be injuries... we need good players at depth - old school Niner way!

Free agents to Sign - Reed, maybe. I don't know. Woodson, NO... gimp collar bone and almost as old (NFL yrs) as dust. He certainly got dusted by Niners in that last game!!

D Line or OLB veteran Pass Rusher - I think Sammie Hill would be a good addition (price/production). If Soap takes less money (I believe he will and Niners will keep him) and if RJF wants to stay for what Niners decide to pay him AND get a couple of studs (immediate impacts) in the draft, the D-line will have good rotation/depth. If they can afford another veteran that fits the scheme with skills/high motor for good price, then go for it!

WR - a Tall/ Big WR someone who could be had on the cheap would be a good pick up. (i'm really thinking particularly of former Bills WR David Nelson (6-5) who was injured last year). - If he comes back healthy/stronger, I like the idea!

QB - Josh a 2nd time around makes sense now that Alex is on his way to KC.

Cut - M.Manningham (injury worries combined with cost), D.Akers, C.Hall - INDEED!!!!

Possible cuts but i think they should stay around for competition in TC... P. Haralson, A.Dixon, Williams, W.Tukuafu - AGREED.

As far as the draft goes, I don't mind the players that you picked. However, I really don't want to see Niners pick anything but D-Line and Secondary with the first 4 picks. In the playoffs/superbowl, Niners offense scored more than enough to win, but the defense did not come through in the end and special teams was less than special, at times.

In the later rounds, I would like to see Special Teams speedsters that also excel at DB and/or WR positions. Also, they need a kicker (draft or FA)!

I hope they can trade a couple of their 6th round picks and all their 7 round picks for better picks this year or next year.
Nice work. I actually think Manuel will go MUCH higher, perhaps part of a QB run in Rd 2 with teams looking for franchise QBs.

If he was there in Rd 4 by some miracle I think that's when we would want to gobble him up. It would be tempting in Rd 3 to get a long-term CK backup, but I think our other needs are too important to use a high pick on a QB this year.
Overall, I like this mock. I like the argument behind keeping Delanie Walker. Although his receiving ability isn't where it needs to be, he brings a lot to the team and should be resigned to a 3 to 4 year deal for the right price. With that said, I'm still in favor of drafting a TE to eventually replace him. I do see Larry Grant or Tavares Gooden being brought back. No sense in creating a need in depth at ILB.

We have made a number of roster moves and will be somewhere between 15-20 million under the cap when all is said and done. I can definitely see them bringing in a veteran 3-4 NT and DE. That would give us a rotation of Ray Mac, Soap, and Justin Smith, and Hill, before we add our rookies. I could see us talking to Ed Reed or Charles Woodson if the price is right. This would be ideal if we can get either for under 5 million a year on a 1 to 2 year deal. I wouldn't be surprised if we could get a solid safety in the draft or if one is already on our team. Whoever that player is, they would be helped greatly is strengthen the depth behind our front 7 and get a stronger pass rush going.

The only issues are with the draft. Manuel won't fall that far and we may have to get Brandon Williams at 63. Other than that, I love all of the players drafted. I do however think that Tavon Austin will be available at 31. There will be better receivers available for the taking in the previous 30 picks. I'm almost certain Tavon Austin will be there for us.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Overall, I like this mock. I like the argument behind keeping Delanie Walker. Although his receiving ability isn't where it needs to be, he brings a lot to the team and should be resigned to a 3 to 4 year deal for the right price. With that said, I'm still in favor of drafting a TE to eventually replace him. I do see Larry Grant or Tavares Gooden being brought back. No sense in creating a need in depth at ILB.

We have made a number of roster moves and will be somewhere between 15-20 million under the cap when all is said and done. I can definitely see them bringing in a veteran 3-4 NT and DE. That would give us a rotation of Ray Mac, Soap, and Justin Smith, and Hill, before we add our rookies. I could see us talking to Ed Reed or Charles Woodson if the price is right. This would be ideal if we can get either for under 5 million a year on a 1 to 2 year deal. I wouldn't be surprised if we could get a solid safety in the draft or if one is already on our team. Whoever that player is, they would be helped greatly is strengthen the depth behind our front 7 and get a stronger pass rush going.

The only issues are with the draft. Manuel won't fall that far and we may have to get Brandon Williams at 63. Other than that, I love all of the players drafted. I do however think that Tavon Austin will be available at 31. There will be better receivers available for the taking in the previous 30 picks. I'm almost certain Tavon Austin will be there for us.
To get Austin we would have to use are 1st or 2nd picks maybe tp move up
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Brandon Williams at 63 seems high to me at least compared to the expert mocks I have been reading. I think he would be worth it there but it has seemed to me that most mocks have him going later recently. The most recent one i have read had him going 94th overall which is the pick after i took him in my mock here. That was from Walter football not always the most reliable source but they typically give current up to date mocks trying to keep up with the pulse of the player and the upcoming draft.

You are probably right about Manuel going earlier. I did see some mocks with him going in the 5th but that was a while back and his stock seems to be rising. If he is not there i still think we will draft a developmental QB late in the draft to compete for back up duties. I would be happiest with Manuel but wouldn't mind Matt Scott with the 5th. If Scott's not there either i wouldnt my taking an even later flier or signing an undrafted mobile QB like Colby Cameron, Nick Florence or Colin Klein.

When it comes to Tavon Austin before the combine almost every expert mock draft was saying he would be there, after the combine now many are saying he wont be (though some say he still will). I for one don't think the Combine changes teams minds all that much unless someone just performs horribly below what was expected based off the tape. thats not the case here Austin looks amazingly fast, quick and shifty on film and his numbers at the combine backed that up so why such a dramtic change in draft stock? Regardless of all that though I am truly hoping he will be there because I really like him but i do not at all expect them to trade up for him. If he is there at 31 though i could easily see it happen for all the reasons i put in my original post.