-
NinerBuff
- The Election Dude
-
- Posts: 21,443
Good job!
Overall, nice mock offseason, but I highly doubt we go after Ed Reed or Charles Woodson. I think both of those guys will command too much money for our taste. David Nelson does make a lot of sense and overall your mock draft hits a lot of our needs.
I think we will put more emphasis on D-line, but overall good start and welcome!
-
smithc28
- Veteran
-
- Posts: 366
Wow. That is probably my ideal draft as well.
Well done sir, well done
-
tatdwolf49
- Veteran
-
- Posts: 3,206
Don't understand why ppl want us to draft a shrimp we when we need a bigg tough one N we don't need another RB even if he sits for a yr ...if what I've read tank fits more of a 4-3 DE so I'm not sure about him luv tha Williams pick banks is growing on me although I wonder about Logan Ryan at CB ..Hopkins luv but to play it safe think we should spend a 5th round on him luv fauria pick dude is a red zone TD machine
-
rodgerscomehome
- Veteran
-
- Posts: 23
This would be a nice draft, but the picks are somewhat unrealistic. Tavon is expected to go in the teens/twenties, Carradine is a fringe first rounder, Philip Thomas and Kyle Long are 2nd rounders, and E.J. Manuel is definitely a late 2nd rounder at worst at this point.
-
kronik
- Veteran
-
- Posts: 4,316
LMAO, I stopped reading when you said "FS- Either Ed Reed or Charles Woodson."
If u want to pay old guys alot of money to play for us, we might as well re-sign Ronnie Lott and Eric Wright.
[ Edited by kronik on Mar 9, 2013 at 12:37 PM ]
-
JamesGatz83
- Veteran
-
- Posts: 1,534
Tank Carradine is not a fit at 3-4 DE. He is an edge rusher. Asking him to play the 5-technique and two-gap is a waste of his ability, and he lacks the anchor for it. He is also probably too big and not athletic enough to play 3-4 OLB.
As an FSU fan, I think he'll be an excellent pro and I'm rooting for him, but he'll be a 4-3 DE for someone.
-
ninerfan1984
- Veteran
-
- Posts: 145
Originally posted by rodgerscomehome:
This would be a nice draft, but the picks are somewhat unrealistic. Tavon is expected to go in the teens/twenties, Carradine is a fringe first rounder, Philip Thomas and Kyle Long are 2nd rounders, and E.J. Manuel is definitely a late 2nd rounder at worst at this point.
As I said in my original post:
"I also acknowledge that i am going to be somewhat optamistic that the players i want will still be there when we pick. While this is true i will also say that if i pick someone it is because i have seen Mock drafts by experts that have those players droping to us even if the majority have them off the board earlier ( in other words this is with everything falling they best possible way i can fathom."
-
blm7754
- Veteran
-
- Posts: 2,785
I don't know about getting Woodson or Reed in FA.... I think the team views Trenton Robinson to fill the role at FS. They will probably draft some competition for him, or maybe sign a low profile FA. But Woodson and Reed are probably not likely.
As for the draft, it is very good overall. The Tavon Austin pick really comes down to how you view AJ Jenkins. I view Jenkins as too small and weak to be an effective split-end. He needs that space off the line. I think if he develops, he and Crabtree would handle slot and flanker roles in 3 WR sets.
Without Moss and Manningham, we don't have a split-end. IMO neither Jenkins or Austin could fill that role. Crabtree could, but he's our premier WR and belongs at flanker in 2 and 3 WR sets. So I think Rogers, Hopkins, or Patton are better WR picks than Austin for us.
-
LVJay
- Veteran
-
- Posts: 27,847
Cool, not bad...
Re-sign Walker - Agree. He needs to put in more time at practice catching Kaps passes before/during camp!
Players not to re-sign - Agree with most, but If management can figure a way out to keep Goldson/RJF/Grant, then that actually is better for the team. A lot of people like the idea of Goldson moving to SS. Also, he's a good leader in the secondary! RJF is good for depth in all positions of the D-Line. Grant is a number one on any other team! There will be injuries... we need good players at depth - old school Niner way!
Free agents to Sign - Reed, maybe. I don't know. Woodson, NO... gimp collar bone and almost as old (NFL yrs) as dust. He certainly got dusted by Niners in that last game!!
D Line or OLB veteran Pass Rusher - I think Sammie Hill would be a good addition (price/production). If Soap takes less money (I believe he will and Niners will keep him) and if RJF wants to stay for what Niners decide to pay him AND get a couple of studs (immediate impacts) in the draft, the D-line will have good rotation/depth. If they can afford another veteran that fits the scheme with skills/high motor for good price, then go for it!
WR - a Tall/ Big WR someone who could be had on the cheap would be a good pick up. (i'm really thinking particularly of former Bills WR David Nelson (6-5) who was injured last year). - If he comes back healthy/stronger, I like the idea!
QB - Josh a 2nd time around makes sense now that Alex is on his way to KC.
Cut - M.Manningham (injury worries combined with cost), D.Akers, C.Hall - INDEED!!!!
Possible cuts but i think they should stay around for competition in TC... P. Haralson, A.Dixon, Williams, W.Tukuafu - AGREED.
As far as the draft goes, I don't mind the players that you picked. However, I really don't want to see Niners pick anything but D-Line and Secondary with the first 4 picks. In the playoffs/superbowl, Niners offense scored more than enough to win, but the defense did not come through in the end and special teams was less than special, at times.
In the later rounds, I would like to see Special Teams speedsters that also excel at DB and/or WR positions. Also, they need a kicker (draft or FA)!
I hope they can trade a couple of their 6th round picks and all their 7 round picks for better picks this year or next year.
-
LieutKaffee
- Veteran
-
- Posts: 1,988
Nice work. I actually think Manuel will go MUCH higher, perhaps part of a QB run in Rd 2 with teams looking for franchise QBs.
If he was there in Rd 4 by some miracle I think that's when we would want to gobble him up. It would be tempting in Rd 3 to get a long-term CK backup, but I think our other needs are too important to use a high pick on a QB this year.
-
LifelongNiner
- Veteran
-
- Posts: 24,765
Overall, I like this mock. I like the argument behind keeping Delanie Walker. Although his receiving ability isn't where it needs to be, he brings a lot to the team and should be resigned to a 3 to 4 year deal for the right price. With that said, I'm still in favor of drafting a TE to eventually replace him. I do see Larry Grant or Tavares Gooden being brought back. No sense in creating a need in depth at ILB.
We have made a number of roster moves and will be somewhere between 15-20 million under the cap when all is said and done. I can definitely see them bringing in a veteran 3-4 NT and DE. That would give us a rotation of Ray Mac, Soap, and Justin Smith, and Hill, before we add our rookies. I could see us talking to Ed Reed or Charles Woodson if the price is right. This would be ideal if we can get either for under 5 million a year on a 1 to 2 year deal. I wouldn't be surprised if we could get a solid safety in the draft or if one is already on our team. Whoever that player is, they would be helped greatly is strengthen the depth behind our front 7 and get a stronger pass rush going.
The only issues are with the draft. Manuel won't fall that far and we may have to get Brandon Williams at 63. Other than that, I love all of the players drafted. I do however think that Tavon Austin will be available at 31. There will be better receivers available for the taking in the previous 30 picks. I'm almost certain Tavon Austin will be there for us.
-
ninerfan52
- Member
-
- Posts: 2,556
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Overall, I like this mock. I like the argument behind keeping Delanie Walker. Although his receiving ability isn't where it needs to be, he brings a lot to the team and should be resigned to a 3 to 4 year deal for the right price. With that said, I'm still in favor of drafting a TE to eventually replace him. I do see Larry Grant or Tavares Gooden being brought back. No sense in creating a need in depth at ILB.
We have made a number of roster moves and will be somewhere between 15-20 million under the cap when all is said and done. I can definitely see them bringing in a veteran 3-4 NT and DE. That would give us a rotation of Ray Mac, Soap, and Justin Smith, and Hill, before we add our rookies. I could see us talking to Ed Reed or Charles Woodson if the price is right. This would be ideal if we can get either for under 5 million a year on a 1 to 2 year deal. I wouldn't be surprised if we could get a solid safety in the draft or if one is already on our team. Whoever that player is, they would be helped greatly is strengthen the depth behind our front 7 and get a stronger pass rush going.
The only issues are with the draft. Manuel won't fall that far and we may have to get Brandon Williams at 63. Other than that, I love all of the players drafted. I do however think that Tavon Austin will be available at 31. There will be better receivers available for the taking in the previous 30 picks. I'm almost certain Tavon Austin will be there for us.
To get Austin we would have to use are 1st or 2nd picks maybe tp move up
-
ninerfan1984
- Veteran
-
- Posts: 145
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
The only issues are with the draft. Manuel won't fall that far and we may have to get Brandon Williams at 63. Other than that, I love all of the players drafted. I do however think that Tavon Austin will be available at 31. There will be better receivers available for the taking in the previous 30 picks. I'm almost certain Tavon Austin will be there for us.
Brandon Williams at 63 seems high to me at least compared to the expert mocks I have been reading. I think he would be worth it there but it has seemed to me that most mocks have him going later recently. The most recent one i have read had him going 94th overall which is the pick after i took him in my mock here. That was from Walter football not always the most reliable source but they typically give current up to date mocks trying to keep up with the pulse of the player and the upcoming draft.
You are probably right about Manuel going earlier. I did see some mocks with him going in the 5th but that was a while back and his stock seems to be rising. If he is not there i still think we will draft a developmental QB late in the draft to compete for back up duties. I would be happiest with Manuel but wouldn't mind Matt Scott with the 5th. If Scott's not there either i wouldnt my taking an even later flier or signing an undrafted mobile QB like Colby Cameron, Nick Florence or Colin Klein.
When it comes to Tavon Austin before the combine almost every expert mock draft was saying he would be there, after the combine now many are saying he wont be (though some say he still will). I for one don't think the Combine changes teams minds all that much unless someone just performs horribly below what was expected based off the tape. thats not the case here Austin looks amazingly fast, quick and shifty on film and his numbers at the combine backed that up so why such a dramtic change in draft stock? Regardless of all that though I am truly hoping he will be there because I really like him but i do not at all expect them to trade up for him. If he is there at 31 though i could easily see it happen for all the reasons i put in my original post.