LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 332 users in the forums

Matt Miller's latest ESPN mock draft

Matt Miller has the Niners taking Jesse Williams, defensive tackle with their first pick, Eric Reid, Safety with the second and Brandon Williams, Nose Tackle with their third pick. I like this a lot because it immediately addresses the Niners most important needs. I'd be very happy with that start for the draft.
YOLO
I like Jesse and Brandon Williams but I would not take both of them.
There seems to be consensus on the WZ about the need for DL help. But certainly getting a starting WR (to complement Crabtree) is at least as important as getting a backup for J. Smith/R. McDonald.
This is dumb. I GUARANTEE we don't pick either of those guys.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I like Jesse and Brandon Williams but I would not take both of them.

Seems kind of redundant. Both are likely NT's in the 49ers system, don't see Jesse Williams playing DE for the 49ers.

But if this were to happen, they'd be set at NT with a killer rotation for years to come.

Oh and......YOLO!!!!
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
There seems to be consensus on the WZ about the need for DL help. But certainly getting a starting WR (to complement Crabtree) is at least as important as getting a backup for J. Smith/R. McDonald.

Its not just looking for a backup at DE, you're also looking for a potential starter at NT.

YOLO!!!!
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Matt Miller has the Niners taking Jesse Williams, defensive tackle with their first pick, Eric Reid, Safety with the second and Brandon Williams, Nose Tackle with their third pick. I like this a lot because it immediately addresses the Niners most important needs. I'd be very happy with that start for the draft.

I don't mind this one bit. I'm not sure which players will be there when the time comes for Niners to pick, but I certainly hope their first 4 picks address D-Line/ and secondary. If the D-Line performed as well as the O-Line in the SB, the Ravens would have lost by more than 3 measly points! It all "starts in the trenches!!" When our D-Line performed at an elite level 2011, our (same) DBs looked VERY GOOD!
I'd keep in mind that they're drafting a defensive tackle not only to rotate with Justin Smith, but to take over for him when he's gone. That's why one of the top rated ones like Jesse Williams makes sense to me. And, they need to start working on that defensive backfield. I think they recognize the trends and are going to go with safeties that are strong in coverage skills as opposed to "blowing up" receivers. Those days are coming to an end in the NFL and I'm sure Baalke and Harbaugh are well aware of that.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Seems kind of redundant. Both are likely NT's in the 49ers system, don't see Jesse Williams playing DE for the 49ers.

But if this were to happen, they'd be set at NT with a killer rotation for years to come.

Oh and......YOLO!!!!

There is one year of film of Jessie Williams starting at nose tackle and another year of film with him starting at 3-4 defensive end.

Originally posted by buck:
There is one year of film of Jessie Williams starting at nose tackle and another year of film with him starting at 3-4 defensive end.

Notice that I didn't say he couldn't play 3-4 DE, I said I didn't see him as a 3-4 DE for the 49ers.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 9, 2013 at 11:52 AM ]
I 'd be very happy wuth this draft. I'd be happier if we could get DaRick Rogers with our own 3rd assumming his offfield hijinx are behind him.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
I'm just hoping Jenkins steps up this year, would hate to take a WR with our first 5 picks when just last year 49ers took 1 in the 1st round... if the 49ers do take one early, it's telling me the coaches don't believe in Jenkins ?? I guess after free agency will find out our needs ...
Originally posted by buck:

Notice that I didn't say he couldn't play 3-4 DE, I said I didn't see him as a 3-4 DE for the 49ers.

Exactly. Jesse Williams is a capable 3-4 DE for certain teams, but think about what we ask of our DEs. Both Justin Smith and Ray McDonald are smaller, more athletic types than you will typically find at the position. That's because they spend the majority of their time as one-gap 3-technique DTs when we go to a 4-man line in nickel and dime packages. Jesse Williams is nowhere near athletic enough to do that and provide an effective pass rush.

I like him a lot for us at nose and a potential fill-in at 3-4 DE, but I do not like him at all as a potential replacement for Justin Smith. We need someone with way more athleticism for that spot (Sheldon Richardson, Datone Jones, Sylvester Williams, Kawann Short, etc.).
  • buck
  • Veteran

I noticed.

I do not know if Baalke and company will see him as a DE or NT, or both; or perhaps neither.

But, they will have good film to study.
[ Edited by buck on Mar 9, 2013 at 1:16 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone