There are 254 users in the forums

Beeker's first ever Mock Draft Attempt

Originally posted by rodgerscomehome:
He's a DE, period. He could line up as DE in either a 4-3 scheme or a 3-4 scheme.

Hes 6'4 265. Pratically same measurementa as Aldon Smith.I see him as a OLB depending on his footwork and speed. Hes a more natural edge rusher than Brooks and could provide important rotation for the spot. I really think we should grab a nickle edge rusher. Okafor, Moore, and Carradine are all great targets. They would easily improve our secondary with the pressure they could generate.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by eonblue:
Hes 6'4 265. Pratically same measurementa as Aldon Smith.I see him as a OLB depending on his footwork and speed. Hes a more natural edge rusher than Brooks and could provide important rotation for the spot. I really think we should grab a nickle edge rusher. Okafor, Moore, and Carradine are all great targets. They would easily improve our secondary with the pressure they could generate.

At the combine, Cornelius Carradine was 6'4 and weighed 276 lbs, which means he is closer in size to Justin Smith than he is to Aldon Smith.

Carradine is basically the same size as Datone Jones. Jones was 6'3 7/8 and weighed 283 lbs.

Carradine has longer arms-- 34 3/4"-- Jones' arms were 32 3/4".

Cornelius Washington, an OLB from Georgia, was 6'4 and weighed 265 lbs.

Maybe, you got them confused.
[ Edited by buck on Mar 8, 2013 at 9:05 PM ]
Originally posted by buck:
At the combine, Cornelius Carradine was 6'4 and weighed 276 lbs, which means he is closer in size to Justin Smith than he is to Aldon Smith.

Carradine is basically the same size as Datone Jones. Jones was 6'3 7/8 and weighed 283 lbs.

Oh wow he doesn't look 276. Nah I just got my facts mixed up.

Is 276 an acceptabke weight for a DE prospect? He could easy come in on rushing downs in his 1st year. he's really god at the bull rush, swim, and spin.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
1. 1st, #31 - Johnathan Hankins, DT, Ohio State - meh. Not a big fan and don't think he's a great fit for our style of 3-4

What do you mean Hankins wouldn't be a good fit for our 3-4 defense? He'd be an extremely effective as a two-gapping 0-technique NT in our scheme. Dude is fluid and powerful.

You know what, in doing a little more work on Hankins, I agree with your assessment. I thought he was a more lumbering, run-stuffer but not necessarily athletic type of NT. But he's more athletic than I thought, though if he allows his weight to balloon, he loses steam later in games and can be more easily pushed around. But overall, you're way more correct than I was. Mea culpa.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Mar 8, 2013 at 11:17 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
You know what, in doing a little more work on Hankins, I agree with your assessment. I thought he was a more lumbering, run-stuffer but not necessarily athletic type of NT. But he's more athletic than I thought, though if he allows his weight to balloon, he loses steam later in games and can be more easily pushed around. But overall, you're way more correct than I was. Mea culpa.

I have assumed, which can be a stupid thing to do, that Hankins would be gone in the middle of the first round.
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
I don't think carradine matchz our defense style though seen where he's listed as a 4-3 de

He's a DE, period. He could line up as DE in either a 4-3 scheme or a 3-4 scheme.

With ur thinking then any DE will fit in N work must be tha dumb NFL that say there's a difference in a DE 3-4 N A DE 4-3
Gotta say, for your first attempt, you did a nice job. I would like to see a S somewhere early, though. Goldson's not coming back unless it's with his tail between his legs after he realizes nobody's going to pay him $8M per. Whitner's going into the last year of his contract. It's possible they'd move Culliver to FS, I think he'd be a real ballhawk, something we haven't had in quite a few years. Still, it'd be smart to take one of the better S. I have to agree w/Ghost, I think Baalke could do better than Hankins...my fave at this point is Sylvester Williams. He's got size (6-3-315), versatilty, and is really quick (5.03 X 40 for a guy his size is excellent). I still think Baalke will trade up...once, maybe twice to land THE player he and Harbaugh are nutcase over. If they come out of the draft with 8 or so blue-chip players, job well done, IMHO.
Originally posted by Beeker:
Originally posted by blm7754:
Slay and Scott are wasted picks IMO (I like the draft otherwise). We need to find an eventual replacement for Justin Smith in this draft. Hankins is solid, but more of a NT.

I would suggest either packaging those two 3rd rounders and moving up into the 2nd round and going for Magus Hunt or the following:

Cornellius Carradine, DE 6'4" 276 Florida State: He suffered an ACL injury in November, but he has 1st round talent and great athletecism. Pick 74 would be a good place to take a chance on this guy and Justin Smith's eventual replacement.

I'm starting to like Carradine. Been reading more about him. Hunt, not so much. I agree we probably need more d-line help, and I'll most likely adjust this as time goes by, especially after FA.

Tank Carradine is not a fit at 3-4 DE. He is an edge rusher. Asking him to play the 5-technique and two-gap is a waste of his ability, and he lacks the anchor for it. He is also probably too big and not athletic enough to play 3-4 OLB. As an FSU fan, I think he'll be an excellent pro and I'm rooting for him, but he'll be a 4-3 DE for someone.

This is painfully ill-informed. By your logic, someone like Jevon Kearse is equivalent to someone like Brett Keisel, and Osi Umenyiora is essentially the same as Haloti Ngata.
[ Edited by JamesGatz83 on Mar 9, 2013 at 12:43 PM ]
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:

This is painfully ill-informed. By your logic, someone like Jevon Kearse is equivalent to someone like Brett Keisel, and Osi Umenyiora is essentially the same as Haloti Ngata.

I'm glad I'm not tha only one who thought his statement was BS ...

• LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Beeker:
Okay folks! Here it is. My first ever attempt, Hopefully, I didn't completely embarrass myself.

1. 1st, #31 - Johnathan Hankins, DT, Ohio State

2. 2nd, #34 - Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington State

3. 2nd, #61 - Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech

4. 3rd, # 74- Darius Slay, CB, Mississippi State

5. 3rd, # 93- Matt Scott, QB, Arizona

6. 3rd, Comp - Kyle Long, OT, Oregon State

7. 4th, Marcus Lattimore, RB, South Carolina

8. 5th, Travis Kelce, TE, Cincinnati

9. 5th, Dusitn Hopkins, K, Florida State

10. 6th, camp fodder/trade

11. 6th, camp fodder/trade

12. 7th, camp fodder/trade

13. 7th, camp fodder/trade

14. 7th, Comp – camp fodder

15. 7th, Comp – camp fodder

I know it's cheating, but I don't have much confidence that ANY 6th or 7th round pick can make this team - just too much depth.

Not embarrassing at all!

"I know it's cheating, but I don't have much confidence that ANY 6th or 7th round pick can make this team - just too much depth." ... I understand that and I think they should trade those picks for better/higher ones for this year or next. Honestly, I hope the Niners focus on DE, DT and DBs in the first 4 to 5 picks... late 3rd and 4th could have looks at WR and Center/O-Line...

Size is not the only factor. Datone Jones is an interior player, Tank Carradine is an edge player. Asking Carradine to knock down inside would be a waste of his ability as an edge rusher.

As an FSU fan, I saw a lot of his ability to turn the corner and drop his shoulder. He is a tremendous edge rusher, and he would be absolutely wasted at 3-4 DE.
  • buck
  • Veteran

Size is not the only factor. Datone Jones is an interior player, Tank Carradine is an edge player. Asking Carradine to knock down inside would be a waste of his ability as an edge rusher.

As an FSU fan, I saw a lot of his ability to turn the corner and drop his shoulder. He is a tremendous edge rusher, and he would be absolutely wasted at 3-4 DE.

If you are responding to my post, I think you are confused about what I said.

I thought there might have been a confusion between Cornelius Carradine, a defensive end, and Cornelius Washington, an OLB, since the weight given was correct for Washington, and incorrect for Carradine.

I made no comment on what position Carradine should play in the NFL.
If you are responding to my post, I think you are confused about what I said.

I thought there might have been a confusion between Cornelius Carradine, a defensive end, and Cornelius Washington, an OLB, since the weight given was correct for Washington, and incorrect for Carradine.

I made no comment on what position Carradine should play in the NFL.

My bad. I thought you were implying something about his position with the comparison to Datone Jones. I guess it was the other posts about his position that preceded yours that led me there.
[ Edited by JamesGatz83 on Mar 9, 2013 at 5:04 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
My bad. I thought you were implying something about his position with the comparison to Datone Jones. I guess it was the other posts about his position that preceded yours that led me there.

Not a problem.

I have wondering if Carradine could play 3-4 defensive end, but I really do not know.
After free agency starts, I am going to do some more reading on him.
Share 49ersWebzone