LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 363 users in the forums

TE Lucas Reed, NM: late round/UDFA project, diamond in the rough?

He's Brooks Reed's brother (the guy who convinced the Texans that they didn't need to spend to keep Mario). Dude wasn't invited to the combine, but his pro day numbers are stupid: 6'6", 247 pounds, 35.25" arms , 10.5" hands, 4.7 40, 27 reps @225 (tied Ertz for top TE, w/MUCH longer arms), 37" vertical, 4.08 short shuttle, 6.97 3 cone.

Freshman All-American who was progressing slowly and steadily before having a down year as a SR. He was a special teams guy, too. Evidently, the main knock on him is stiff route-running, but we have gotten around that with Vernon. As a bubble/PS guy, maybe he would feel a greater sense of urgency to improve that part of his game.

Anyway, I got all of his numbers from NFL Draft Scout, and that's as much as I know about him. He sounds interesting. Does anyone watch the Lobos, and what do you know about this guy?

edit: "compound" fixed, thanks Ghost
[ Edited by WRATHman44 on Mar 8, 2013 at 11:53 AM ]
The compound?

I saw him play in the one of the bowl games (Shrine, Texas Vs. Nation, I can't remember) and he looked kinda awkward out there. Not saying he can't eventually develop into a nice TE, but he looked a little frail and gangly to me. I prefer Nevada's Zach Sudfeld as a late-round development TE.
Sound ok but I'd like Joseph fauria dude is a red zone TD machine or Jake stoneburner
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
The compound?

I saw him play in the one of the bowl games (Shrine, Texas Vs. Nation, I can't remember) and he looked kinda awkward out there. Not saying he can't eventually develop into a nice TE, but he looked a little frail and gangly to me. I prefer Nevada's Zach Sudfeld as a late-round development TE.

Thanks for the info...

Too bad, I thought he might be a guy who could contribute as a ST ace until he refines his craft to use his athleticism to impact games. It's weird that his numbers would be so good, but his game would be awkward. Maybe Brooks got all the "smooth" in that family.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
New Mexico ran the triple option this year which hurt his numbers.
Originally posted by DVDA:

apparently none of the 3 options were passing the ball to him

does he have long flowing locks like his brother rapunzel

What did they run in previous seasons?
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

I wouldn't consider what the Lobos played in previous seasons anything remotely resembling football. I live there. They've been sucking.
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
Sound ok but I'd like Joseph fauria dude is a red zone TD machine or Jake stoneburner

Stoneburner I can agree to. Saw that cat play (thanks to my wife the OSU fan) on a lot of occasions. He's a TD machine, too.
Originally posted by SantaFe49er:

I wouldn't consider what the Lobos played in previous seasons anything remotely resembling football. I live there. They've been sucking.

New Mexico has a football team? You mean SOCCER team, right?

Originally posted by Beeker:
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:

Stoneburner I can agree to. Saw that cat play (thanks to my wife the OSU fan) on a lot of occasions. He's a TD machine, too.

So is fauria frm what I read on him 6 tds in 2011 N 11 in 2012
Originally posted by Beeker:
Originally posted by SantaFe49er:

New Mexico has a football team? You mean SOCCER team, right?

Haha yeah real football.
Share 49ersWebzone