There are 151 users in the forums

Jamie Collins pass rush OLB at #61 or #74?

Pass rush is critical, as we found out in the playoffs when we weren't able to pressure the QB and our defense got torched. We have nobody behind Aldon and Brooks, so they should consider Jamie Collins at #61 or #74. Could rotate in with Brooks and Smith on 1st and 2nd down, and pass rush on 3rd downs:

"0-12 teams still can have big-time talent. Jamie Collins, a DE/OLB at Southern Miss, was high on the radar of several NFL scouts and coaches I spoke to. And then Collins backed up his "freak" rep, broad jumping 11-7 -- almost a foot longer than any other LB. The 6-3.5, 250-pounder also had a 41.5-inch vertical. (40 time was between 4.52-4.7). . . An intriguing pass rusher, Collins has 45 career tackles for loss over his collegiate career, finding ways to get to the quarterback with his quickness and speed.. . . A former defensive back who morphed into a linebacker (steroids?) . . . selected 2012 First Team All-Conference USA (Coaches) Collins led the team in tackles in 2012 with 92 and also ranked first in C-USA in tackles for loss (20.0) and third in sacks (10.0), despite not having any help and being the focus of the offense blocking schemes. His tackles for loss number currently ranked tied for No. 7 in the country. (even though offenses focused on blocking him). He forced four fumbles in 2012 He posted 13 tackles against Nebraska and 10 versus Boise State. . . .powerful hands and long arms. Accelerates well in a straight line, and exhibits good flexibility, both coming off the edge as a rusher, as well as when changing direction in space. Displays a knack for getting to the quarterback off the edge, with impressive natural power on contact, and ability to disengage when he uses his hands effectively. Flashes a strong, sudden closing burst in space."
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=91060&draftyear=2013
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1723146/jamie-collins
[ Edited by maxsmart on Mar 6, 2013 at 10:57 PM ]
Hey, I put rush OLB in the late 2nd/early 3rd in my mock. Like the scouting report. Could be a great option.
Love his measurables but I'm concerned about his lack of instincts. Seems to possess all the athletic ability but he has an inconsistent motor and doesn't fly all over the field like a player with his size and speed should. That being said, to have that much production despite being on one of the worst teams in college football speaks a lot to his natural ability. Certainly an intriguing talent but he has to prove that he can play more to his full capabilities and not be a liability in coverage.
Originally posted by rodgerscomehome:
Love his measurables but I'm concerned about his lack of instincts. Seems to possess all the athletic ability but he has an inconsistent motor and doesn't fly all over the field like a player with his size and speed should. That being said, to have that much production despite being on one of the worst teams in college football speaks a lot to his natural ability. Certainly an intriguing talent but he has to prove that he can play more to his full capabilities and not be a liability in coverage.

Liability in coverage might be fine on our team. A Bruce Irvin type would make a nice rotational pass rusher for us.
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:

Liability in coverage might be fine on our team. A Bruce Irvin type would make a nice rotational pass rusher for us.

Was a defensive back, so likely would be decent in coverage.
This player is a (stud) athlete. If Baalke uses 31 pick of the first round on Jamie Collins, I would be very please with the decision.
Originally posted by KimChee49er:
This player is a (stud) athlete. If Baalke uses 31 pick of the first round on Jamie Collins, I would be very please with the decision.

You're joking? Why pick him at #31 when could probably get him at #61

ummm in the 1st?

the guy is considered a 3rd rounder
  • buck
  • Veteran

He led Southern Miss in tackles, tackles for loss, and sacks.

He had 10 sacks, 20 tackles for a loss, 5 passes broken up, 4 forced fumbles, 1 blocked kick, and 92 tackles.

In 52 games, he had 21 sacks, 45 tackles for a loss, 10 quarterback hurries, 3 interceptions, 15 passes broken up, 7 forced fumbles, and 2 blocks.

Not sure how he does all that without flying to the ball.

I would be happy, if we take him in the second.
[ Edited by buck on Mar 7, 2013 at 8:46 AM ]
I love Collins! one of my favorite prospects in this draft! i wouldn't mind taking him with the 34th pick..I think he's better then Bruce Irvin ..an we were very high on taking Irvin last year with our first rounder..so it's a possibility!

Sounds like a good pick at 74. I wouldn't use anything higher on a guy that will always be a backup for us.

I think 31 & 34 will be a DL and a CB. 61 will be a WR. OLB at 74... maybe a TE at 93. That'd be a good draft IMO.
GOOD call blm7754!

Pick # 74 is about right on a quality back-up.
I suspect we will load up on DBs and D linemena and wideouts early. There will be lots of options at these picks and no matter how much we preach "best available" need will have a heavier say in this years draft.
Originally posted by SF69ers:

ummm in the 1st?

I think he likely has moved up to the 2nd rd now. But, I agree that he would be a reach in the first.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by SF69ers:

ummm in the 1st?

I think he likely has moved up to the 2nd rd now. But, I agree that he would be a reach in the first.

i just think there's so much talent/value in the 2nd round when it comes to the secondary. a lot of safeties and corners could be coming off the board in the 2nd, which might push guys like Collins to the 3rd
Share 49ersWebzone