There are 104 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

McShay's new mock -- Margus Hunt

Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
A less effective Adam Carriker

may i ask how you came to that conclusion?
[ Edited by SF69ers on Mar 7, 2013 at 8:19 AM ]
He sounds great.

BUT my gut has a Matt Jones kind of pain. I'm not buying into the hype.
LOL! You can always tell when someone doesn't like Margus Hunt... It will start with his age and how his life is almost over at the age of 25, then they will move on to him being a project and that it will take multiple years to get him ready, and they will follow up with not touching him till the 2nd round (LOL! because there's a big difference between the picks at the end of the 1st round and the end of the 2nd round), and finally instead of Hunt, the answer to all of our problems on defense is to draft Datone Jones... to local Cal guy who is sure to become the next Justin Smith.
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Originally posted by mebemused:
If I'm not mistaken, one of the knocks against Russell Wilson QB was that he was 25 when drafted, (he played baseball). He went early in the second round. Look how that turned out.

If you read the Margus Hunt thread, there is a comparison to Michael Carter, a great 49er lineman who won a silver medal in shotput at the Olympics. As a result, he too was older when drafted, and needed training to become a starter.

Margus Hunt is a medalist in discus and shotput. As a character guy, he is a champion already. Like Michael Carter, he already has great upper body strength. And without a full repertoire of moves, already has a body of game footage that shows penetration and the potential to dominate.

The 49ers are a perfect situation for Hunt. We have 2 good DEs, and are looking for a third to spell the starters this year. Hunt can start as a rotational player this year, learning his trade from Cowboy and Ray Mac.

Lastly, when you have a championship team, it is difficult to draft a guy who will step in from day one and make an immediate impact, because the 49ers are already loaded with talent. None of our last two drafts came in as a starter: 2012: AJ Jenkins, LaMichael James, Joe Looney; and 2011, Aldon Smith, Colin Kaepernick, Chris Culiver, and Kendall Hunter. So the 49ers have the luxury to groom their draft players.

If a superior talent falls to the end of round one, because of his age and lack of football experience, that is exactly who you want to draft.

Not a bad post actually. You might have me hoping he falls to our 2b.

Well put and kinda how I've felt.

In some sense pass-rushers have a lot of innate instincts that manifest early in a player's career; there's not a whole lot of sitting and watching while you "develop". See Aldon, Watt, Von Miller, etc. Hunt is older and probably will fall in the draft for this reason, I'm guessing not, though. There's also the aspect of his body not having gone through the wear and tear of playing football all through high school and a lot of college. I'd be excited to have the Niners pick him, if he were there at 2b. And I ceratinly wouldn't question Baalke if he did it sooner.
McShay says the niners take Hunt because there are no CBs worthy of the 31st spot, then in his best 32 list rates two CBs at 31 and 32. Does he read his own lists? Don't get him. Indeed!

Mock: "Analysis: The Niners need a cornerback, but there isn't one who would be worth taking here."

Top 32:

31 Blidi Wreh-Wilson, CB, 6-0⅜, 189
Analysis: Wreh-Wilson's overall skill set is strong. He plays with balance and body control in man coverage, and he's willing and effective in run support. He gained steam with a strong Senior Bowl and continued that at the combine. Previously: 20

32. Desmond Trufant, CB. 5-11⅛. 190
Analysis: We always liked Trufant's game. He does just about everything well, though his ball skills could be a little more consistent. His tape didn't indicate elite speed, but he was good enough at the combine. His combination of speed and arm length is impressive. Trufant has good size, and in a league starved for good cover guys, his production could move him into the first round. Previously: NR
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
McShay says the niners take Hunt because there are no CBs worthy of the 31st spot, then in his best 32 list rates two CBs at 31 and 32. Does he read his own lists? Don't get him. Indeed!

Mock: "Analysis: The Niners need a cornerback, but there isn't one who would be worth taking here."

Top 32:

31 Blidi Wreh-Wilson, CB, 6-0⅜, 189
Analysis: Wreh-Wilson's overall skill set is strong. He plays with balance and body control in man coverage, and he's willing and effective in run support. He gained steam with a strong Senior Bowl and continued that at the combine. Previously: 20

32. Desmond Trufant, CB. 5-11⅛. 190
Analysis: We always liked Trufant's game. He does just about everything well, though his ball skills could be a little more consistent. His tape didn't indicate elite speed, but he was good enough at the combine. His combination of speed and arm length is impressive. Trufant has good size, and in a league starved for good cover guys, his production could move him into the first round. Previously: NR

He is right there Good value for 2nd/3rd round CB's more of a need of Safety/DL/WR in the 1st & address the other needs in the 2nd like CB (Poyer).

Trufant is NOT a physical corner and his back peddle is terrible he is more of a tampa 2 kind of corner I see him as a Cowboy next year.

Blidi Wreh-Wilson reminds me alot of Carlos Rodgers physical corner but his tackling skills need improvement and he plays 10 yards off on most his plays. When he does play press Wr like Harrison (Rutgers) burns him.

Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
He is right there Good value for 2nd/3rd round CB's more of a need of Safety/DL/WR in the 1st & address the other needs in the 2nd like CB (Poyer).

Trufant is NOT a physical corner and his back peddle is terrible he is more of a tampa 2 kind of corner I see him as a Cowboy next year.

Blidi Wreh-Wilson reminds me alot of Carlos Rodgers physical corner but his tackling skills need improvement and he plays 10 yards off on most his plays. When he does play press Wr like Harrison (Rutgers) burns him.

He contradicts himself...that's my point. If he rates two CBs as the best players at "the" position of need for the niners but...oh, never mind! Not worth going on about. I would like to see the niners fill their needs through FA and take BPA for the future. This is what they have been doing and it seems to be working. So far you can tell what they see as their needs by what FAs they are talking to...pass rushers and DBs first and foremost.