There are 58 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

McShay's new mock -- Margus Hunt

Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
A less effective Adam Carriker

ouch
Originally posted by toppdogg32:
Finally, some one agrees with me. Jessie Williams and Datone Jones 1 and 2, shud do it..

I've been thinking that way for a while now, execept I would probably flip them Jones 1 and Williams 2.
[ Edited by GorefullBore on Mar 6, 2013 at 4:47 PM ]
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

ouch

Can you believe there were some people who wanted him over Patrick Willis?
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

ouch

Can you believe there were some people who wanted him over Patrick Willis?

I didn't, but at the time I was really hoping we'd get Gaines Adams (RIP)
Originally posted by drake49er:
So...According to McShay...We take Margus Hunt over these guys.

DE/DT Datone Jones
CB Desmond Trufant
DT Johnathan Hankins
CB Jonathan Banks
NT Jesse Williams
S Jonathan Cyprien
DE/OLB Damontre Moore
S Matt Elam

Yep. He's so delusional, I heard he fell off his Unicorn when typing today.
And can I add:

Please, please PLEASE can we get off the Richard Seymour bandwagon? Pretty please? That cat is old, out of shape, and slower than me, and I run about a 30.05 40 yd dash.
Remembet PIERCE HOLT...he was drafted with our second pick in the second round.

106 tackles 11 sacks 18 qb hurries 13 tacklrs for loss and division 2 defensive player of the year. So i wouldnt draft him till our second pick second round
DUDE - too funny. When I read the first few sentences I thought it meant take Hunt as a project CB! LOL I thought at 6'8" cornerback - someone has lost their mind. I have to see some video of this. Then I realized he meant as a DE.

Sometimes you have to laugh at yourself for missing the obvious! LOL

On Hunt -- no project please. Take whoever has a relentless motor and strength a-la Justin Smith or JJ Watt, that is an okay project.
Every college player is a project... LOL! Some guys develop faster than others. Scouts aren't just going to kiss this guys butt if he doesn't have what it takes. It's hard to find any scout knocking the guy though.

Other prospects who have tons of tape and tons of experiences are rated all over the place though.
Now we will get to see what Baalke pulls out of his sleeve for this year. Maybe it will turn out that the coaches like Hunt and see potential but in about 50 days we will find out for sure.
If I'm not mistaken, one of the knocks against Russell Wilson QB was that he was 25 when drafted, (he played baseball). He went early in the second round. Look how that turned out.

If you read the Margus Hunt thread, there is a comparison to Michael Carter, a great 49er lineman who won a silver medal in shotput at the Olympics. As a result, he too was older when drafted, and needed training to become a starter.

Margus Hunt is a medalist in discus and shotput. As a character guy, he is a champion already. Like Michael Carter, he already has great upper body strength. And without a full repertoire of moves, already has a body of game footage that shows penetration and the potential to dominate.

The 49ers are a perfect situation for Hunt. We have 2 good DEs, and are looking for a third to spell the starters this year. Hunt can start as a rotational player this year, learning his trade from Cowboy and Ray Mac.

Lastly, when you have a championship team, it is difficult to draft a guy who will step in from day one and make an immediate impact, because the 49ers are already loaded with talent. None of our last two drafts came in as a starter: 2012: AJ Jenkins, LaMichael James, Joe Looney; and 2011, Aldon Smith, Colin Kaepernick, Chris Culiver, and Kendall Hunter. So the 49ers have the luxury to groom their draft players.

If a superior talent falls to the end of round one, because of his age and lack of football experience, that is exactly who you want to draft.
Peirce Holt 2.0
Originally posted by SSF49er:
Remembet PIERCE HOLT...he was drafted with our second pick in the second round.

106 tackles 11 sacks 18 qb hurries 13 tacklrs for loss and division 2 defensive player of the year. So i wouldnt draft him till our second pick second round

You beat me to it dude
Originally posted by mebemused:
If I'm not mistaken, one of the knocks against Russell Wilson QB was that he was 25 when drafted, (he played baseball). He went early in the second round. Look how that turned out.

If you read the Margus Hunt thread, there is a comparison to Michael Carter, a great 49er lineman who won a silver medal in shotput at the Olympics. As a result, he too was older when drafted, and needed training to become a starter.

Margus Hunt is a medalist in discus and shotput. As a character guy, he is a champion already. Like Michael Carter, he already has great upper body strength. And without a full repertoire of moves, already has a body of game footage that shows penetration and the potential to dominate.

The 49ers are a perfect situation for Hunt. We have 2 good DEs, and are looking for a third to spell the starters this year. Hunt can start as a rotational player this year, learning his trade from Cowboy and Ray Mac.

Lastly, when you have a championship team, it is difficult to draft a guy who will step in from day one and make an immediate impact, because the 49ers are already loaded with talent. None of our last two drafts came in as a starter: 2012: AJ Jenkins, LaMichael James, Joe Looney; and 2011, Aldon Smith, Colin Kaepernick, Chris Culiver, and Kendall Hunter. So the 49ers have the luxury to groom their draft players.

If a superior talent falls to the end of round one, because of his age and lack of football experience, that is exactly who you want to draft.

Not a bad post actually. You might have me hoping he falls to our 2b.
Originally posted by mebemused:

Russell was 23 years old when he was drafted, still moderately old but definitely not 25, which is a huge difference when it comes to rookies. He did play baseball but it never impeded his college eligibility (meaning he didn't skip a year to play baseball). Also, not to be nitpicking, but Russell was drafted in the middle of the third round, not early 2nd. The reason he fell down draft boards had little (if anything) to do with his age, and moreso to do with the fact that he has his physical limitations. Hunt, however, is almost exactly the opposite of that. He has great physical attributes but is not highly rated due to his being a "project" at the age of 25.

While comparisons are certainly valuable in estimating, roughly, the potential value of a player, one should not completely base their evaluation of a prospect because of it. Think about it; A.J. Jenkins has been compared to Jeremy Maclin, haha. I've even read a couple scouting reports that called Chad Hall the next Wes Welker because, you guessed it, he's a small white receiver. More on point, I've watched some of Hunt's game tape, specifically later in the year when he found his groove, and I was surprised how little success he had trying to overpower the tackles. Don't get me wrong, some of his speed rushes looked great but he looked pretty awful, honestly, against the run. This is mostly due to his technique (he consistently loses leverage at the point of attack because he pops up straight after the snap), which hopefully can be fixed with the Niners magical coaching staff, but the clock is ticking for a 25 year old project. He obviously has a ton of natural strength (38 reps) but it's useless if he can't fix his technique. As the scouting report on Hunt says, " A physical tackle or guard is going to win everytime...Hunt is a poor tackler that has a tendency to leave his feet and lunge. He's also prone to being cut and spent a ton of time on the ground in the games I viewed." Hate to say it, but there's a reason most draft sites have pegged Hunt as no more than a third round value. Anyone calling this dude a Cowboy clone has no idea what they are talking about. Cowboy is one of the strongest, and probably best run stopping 3-4 DE in the game today. If we drafted Hunt, hopefully he'd learn a thing or two from Justin (Hunt is reported to have a great work ethic, luckily), but if we're looking for a potential replacement down the line I'd much rather prefer Datone Jones who's more of a complete package and doesn't have the age drawback attached to him.