There are 120 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

McShay's new mock -- Margus Hunt

don't really know much about this guy but i see above people complaining about his height. if u can play w/ leverage it doesn't matter

richard seymour is like 6'7" and he's one of the best DT's of the last 15yrs
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
The more the draftniks insist that the 49ers draft Hunt, the more confident I become that it doesn't happen.

I agree. Smokescreen.

Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
PLEASE NO HUNT! !!!!!! Why are ppl on high on a 26 yr old rookie HATE HATE HATE THA PICK! !!!!!!

Yeah, I don't see Baalke using his #1 pick on a project...dude could have all kinds of potential, but IMHO you don't use a no. 1 pick that way. When guys like Sylvester Williams could be on the board, a proven "big" who can play inside and out and has mad quickness for a guy @ 315-320 and a senior to boot, you take him and not a junior project. Looking at it from the CB perspective, I'm also not sure there wouldn't be one suitable to be a #1 pick. The one analyst I'd put some stock in is Mike Mayock. He understands players and what teams need better than just about anyone I've seen/heard. McShay's an overpaid, overhyped guy just like Mel Kiper is.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Yeah, I don't see Baalke using his #1 pick on a project...dude could have all kinds of potential, but IMHO you don't use a no. 1 pick that way. When guys like Sylvester Williams could be on the board, a proven "big" who can play inside and out and has mad quickness for a guy @ 315-320 and a senior to boot, you take him and not a junior project. Looking at it from the CB perspective, I'm also not sure there wouldn't be one suitable to be a #1 pick. The one analyst I'd put some stock in is Mike Mayock. He understands players and what teams need better than just about anyone I've seen/heard. McShay's an overpaid, overhyped guy just like Mel Kiper is.

This.

Also for those who want to compare Colin Kaepnernick to Margus Hunt, there is no comparison. There is a difference between being raw, as in you need some development for the pro game, verses raw as in you are learning to play football raw. I have no worries. There is no chance we take Margus Hunt.
So...According to McShay...We take Margus Hunt over these guys.

DE/DT Datone Jones
CB Desmond Trufant
DT Johnathan Hankins
CB Jonathan Banks
NT Jesse Williams
S Jonathan Cyprien
DE/OLB Damontre Moore
S Matt Elam
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:

This.

Also for those who want to compare Colin Kaepnernick to Margus Hunt, there is no comparison. There is a difference between being raw, as in you need some development for the pro game, verses raw as in you are learning to play football raw. I have no worries. There is no chance we take Margus Hunt.

Please elaborate on the bolded.

Kaepernick, considered a raw prospect coming out of Nevada, played out of the pistol offense. Scouts and analysts said that it would take him 2-3 years to adjust to a pro-style offense in the NFL, maybe even longer considering the complexity of Harbaugh/Roman's offense.

Margus Hunt has been playing football for four years. He's considered a freak of nature when it comes to his measurables. He was inconsistent in college, but showed that he was able to develop each year. He has shown good quickness, the ability to set the edge, and showed the strength through leverage at the POA. He needs to show consistency in his game and better technique, which can be shown by having NFL coaches. At the Senior Bowl, he struggled his first day, and progressed each day of practice. He gave Eric Fisher, a potential #1 pick in the draft, fits during 1-on-1 practice drills.

I'm not begging for us to pick him at 31, but there is a possibility, and if we do, I have faith in the staff to help him develop. Plus, Baalke has yet to make me regret his draft picks.
Originally posted by drake49er:

DE/DT Datone Jones
CB Desmond Trufant
DT Johnathan Hankins
CB Jonathan Banks
NT Jesse Williams
S Jonathan Cyprien
DE/OLB Damontre Moore
S Matt Elam

if that was the case, WOW!

Datone Jones or Jonathan Banks need to be the selection if they were available.
Finally, some one agrees with me. Jessie Williams and Datone Jones 1 and 2, shud do it..
Jenkins is playing at 356 so he is out of shape but once he hits training camp i see him about 340 and would be quicker we need a nose tackle i have him picked with our 2 rd pick he is a big man and would keep blockers off WILLIS AND BOWMAN. Remember what happened with ray lewis before they NGOTA he was frustrated because the linemen were getting to him. McDonald,Jenkins,Smith. Sign RICHARD SEYMOUR draft another rookie DE and NT/DT
Originally posted by SSF49er:
Jenkins is playing at 356 so he is out of shape but once he hits training camp i see him about 340 and would be quicker we need a nose tackle i have him picked with our 2 rd pick he is a big man and would keep blockers off WILLIS AND BOWMAN. Remember what happened with ray lewis before they NGOTA he was frustrated because the linemen were getting to him. McDonald,Jenkins,Smith. Sign RICHARD SEYMOUR draft another rookie DE and NT/DT

I'll take Brandon Williams before Jenkins.
I definitely rather take trufant

DE/DT Datone Jones
CB Desmond Trufant
DT Johnathan Hankins
CB Jonathan Banks
NT Jesse Williams
S Jonathan Cyprien
DE/OLB Damontre Moore
S Matt Elam

Would absolutely facepalm for days if Hunt was taken over any one of the guys in bold. I think I might f**king cry.

DE/DT Datone Jones
CB Desmond Trufant
DT Johnathan Hankins
CB Jonathan Banks
NT Jesse Williams
S Jonathan Cyprien
DE/OLB Damontre Moore
S Matt Elam

would take all of those guys over Hunt, lol
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
The Niners probably won't get him but I would be excited to get him. His age doesn't matter. He is one year older than Kaep is. Kaep was a project that came in his second year and stole the job from Alex. If Hunt did the same, he would be playing by year 2 and only be 27. Justin Smith is 34. That's at least 7 years of good football if Hunt takes a similar path. Kiper has us taking Hunt in his mock, now McShay does as well and Maylock has him rated as the 2nd best 3-4 DE.

Originally posted by 2Legit2Quit:
The difference between Kaep and Hunt is that Kaep plays the most important position on the field and on the day he was drafted the Niners had Alex Smith at QB before he was a legitimate starting option. And QBs play well into their 30s while DLineman generally tap out at 30-34 depending on the guy. So if we draft Hunt, his contract is up at 29 (after getting 2-3 good years at best out of him), then what? Do we extend him long term for big money? He's already at that point where his career could potentially be winding down. At 6' 8" his height could cause injury concern. Knees break down faster on those taller guys.

Wouldn't touch Hunt before our late second rounder. He'd be worth that pick. I'll bang my head against a table if we take him off the board at 31 or 34.

Plus at the time Kap was drafted he was only 23, he didn't turn 24 util November of the 2011 season that's not that old for a drafted QB at all. As for Hunt, I'm kind of conflicted on him. He has intriguing athletic ability, but his age does concern me. There is a precedent to take him, although not in the 1st round. In 1988 the 49ers took a 26 year old defensive lineman with the 39th pick in the 2nd round out of Angelo State in Texas named Pierce Holt. Pierce went on to play 8 productive seasons 5 with the niners and 3 with the Falcons. Pierce didn't take long to develop either, collecting 5 sacks his rookie season and 10.5 in his second year(both Super Bowl years), and if I'm not mistaken we ran a 3-4 back then as well. There are really a lot of parallels between a Holt and Hunt comparison, and after evaluating the situation, I would be open to taking Margus at pick 34, but not 31.

http://www.nfl.com/player/pierceholt/2501227/profile
[ Edited by GorefullBore on Mar 6, 2013 at 4:27 PM ]
A less effective Adam Carriker