LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 169 users in the forums

Mods Mock 2013

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 9erred:
Positives- I love the trades to get more picks in the top 60 picks.

Love the kyle Long pick.

Happy that someone thinks like me, need a kicker get the best one early on, so many people have the niners picking one in the 6th or 7th.

Negatives
1. You have the Niners retaining all of their CB's (including Rogers) which I think will happen. Yet you burn the 31st pick on a cb?? In my humble opinion safety or a 3-4 DE would do better. I am storngly in the camp that a good pass rush helps all db's.

2. You have the team getting a FA DL, re signing RJF and picking Kawann Short at pick 34. It appears they are all the same player??? Isaac Sopoaga is still working out at the Niners facility, I sincerely believe he will sign for a bargain amount. Sopoaga/Williams will be the NT for 2013. They only see the field 35% of snaps anyways. You need a tall explosive 3-4 DL, not someone like Short. Datone Jones, Margus Hunt would be much better options to be cowboys heir apparent.

5. Call me a fool, but I think Harbaugh breaks and finally drafts a stanford player. Levine Tolio over Fauria.

1. Yes it would seem that way, but anything can happen during the Preseason, for instance Rogers may not make the final cut, Perrish Cox is no guaranteed to make the final cut or Tramaine Brock. I think no one is safe especially with the addition of Cason and Banks.

2. Knighton will start in place of Sopoaga while Short rotates in, we play a lot of one-gap so Short should fit in nicely. Short also has pass-rush moves so he would also fit in on Nickel situations. RJF will remain in his previous role.

5. Harbaugh finally did draft a Standford player, see 4th round pick Chase Thomas.

Thanks for the comments everyone. I thought I would take more of a beating then before.
Overall, I'd be smiling at the end of the weekend.. good job!
He is like Calais Cambell, a tall beast that can block kicks. He blocked 17 kics in college, one short of a NCAA record. They call him the eastern block. Did you watch him at the combine and interviews?? He knows you need to practice to be the best (he was a world class discus thrower, which is explosion similar to DL.

The day b4 the combine drills, he went to Lucas oil stadium and asked a security guard if he could practice on the field to get used to the turf. the security guard let him and he practiced all of his drills. GM's and coaches love that.

When he was being interviewed the commentators where gushing over his film, he instead was humble and pointed out what he needs to improve upon.

We got Cowboy when he was 28?? Getting hunt at 26 years old is no big deal. Plus he does not have the years of football wear and tear from playing as a yought.

Cowboy was already a proven and accomplished pro DL when we got him.... with perfect technique, incredible strength, and an understanding of defensive play/scheme that only comes with years of football background.

Hunt is raw and would be lucky to acquire those skills in 4 years... let alone 2. In my mind, Hunt will not reach his maximum potential for at least 4 years.... which would put him at 30 and only give us about 3-4 years of prime playing. That's s**t poor value for a 1st round pick.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

2013 Mock Draft

1st round - Jonathan Banks - CB Mississippi St. - 6'2" 190 pounds
2nd round - Kawann Short ----- From Kansas City -- NT/DE Purdue - 6'3" 300 pounds
2nd round - Phillip Thomas ---- From Carolina --- S Fresno St. - 6'0" 208 pounds
2nd round - Quiton Patton --- WR Louisiana Tech - 6'0" 205 pounds
3rd round - Kyle Long ----- Comp pick --- OT Oregon - 6'7" 311 pounds
4th round - Chase Thomas - OLB Standford - 6'4" 250 pounds
5th round - Dustin Hopkins - From Buffalo - K Florida St. - 6'2" 190 pounds
5th round - Jared Smith - DE New Hampshire - 6'3" 292
5th round - Joseph Fauria - TE UCLA - 6'7" 255 pounds
7th round - Colby Cameron - From Cincy - QB Louisiana Tech - 6'2" 212 pounds
7th round - Conner Vernon - WR Duke - 6'2" 200 pounds
7th round - Mike James - RB Miami - 5'11" 222 pounds

That's a nice mock! I'd be really happy with that. Banks is a great player. He could step into Culliver's role immediatly and allow us to move Culliver to safety... thus vastly improving the coverage skills of our DBs. Short and Thomas would also be great picks to reload our defense.

I also really like Quinton Patton. He's one of my favorite round 2 WR prospects (along with DaRick Rogers and DeAndre Hopkins). Patton has great speed and was very productive. Personally, I'd prefer a bigger guy like Rogers or Hopkins. But Patton would be great at the end of the 2nd.

Some might complain about an OL in the 3rd, but we are so thin at OT... one of the most important positions. Since Boone is playing so well at guard, we need to find a new backup OT that could also be an insurance policy in-case Anthony Davis becomes too expensive to extend down the road.
I agree that I'd take Toilolo over Fauria. Toilolo was Harbaugh's starter in 2010 (over Ertz and Fleener) before he got hurt. I think Fauria is a 7th at best.
Originally posted by blm7754:
That's a nice mock! I'd be really happy with that. Banks is a great player. He could step into Culliver's role immediatly and allow us to move Culliver to safety... thus vastly improving the coverage skills of our DBs. Short and Thomas would also be great picks to reload our defense.

This is the hot off season topic every time a DB has a down game/season......lets move culliver to safety a la nate clements......
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
I know it's impossible to predict but this mock seems very realistic. My only addition would be Hunt or Williams early on.

Why are ppl so high on hunt he'll be a 26 yr old rookie N in 5-6 yrz we'll have to replace him that's if he works out

He is like Calais Cambell, a tall beast that can block kicks. He blocked 17 kics in college, one short of a NCAA record. They call him the eastern block. Did you watch him at the combine and interviews?? He knows you need to practice to be the best (he was a world class discus thrower, which is explosion similar to DL.

The day b4 the combine drills, he went to Lucas oil stadium and asked a security guard if he could practice on the field to get used to the turf. the security guard let him and he practiced all of his drills. GM's and coaches love that.

When he was being interviewed the commentators where gushing over his film, he instead was humble and pointed out what he needs to improve upon.

We got Cowboy when he was 28?? Getting hunt at 26 years old is no big deal. Plus he does not have the years of football wear and tear from playing as a yought.

Bigg difference in getting tha cowboy at 28 N him not being a rookie he had NFL experience ...
Originally posted by NinerFan408:
Originally posted by blm7754:

This is the hot off season topic every time a DB has a down game/season......lets move culliver to safety a la nate clements......

This is a little different. For one, Clements was not a safety. Culliver played more at safety in college than at corner. For two, I'm not suggesting the move because I dislike Culliver. On the contrary, I think he's going to be very good (at either CB or FS). His versatility gives us the option in the upcoming draft to either go with a CB or a FS early on and get the BPA.

If we drafted Banks, moving Culliver would probably just be a one season move to get our best DBs on the field the most. After 2013, Brown could be a FA and Rogers will likely be cut for salary cap reasons.
I hope we get Jonathan Banks! that would be awesome
I'd love this draft. Good work. Love the Short, Banks, and Chase Thomas picks. As a 2nd round WR I've been happy with your choice Patton or if we nabbed Rogers. I could see Vernon being a Amedola type WR for us (and not cause he's white). I'd probably trade Fauria for Toilolo just based on potential, but wouldn't be upset either way. But once again, very good mock.

Oh man I can only hope this becomes a reality. If this comes to fruition i'll paypal you guys ten bucks.
I like it. The Knighton signing deals with the NT issue and the secondary gets restocked in a big way with some veteran help too in Cason.

Only nitpicking, but I think you could get a better pass rusher than Chase Thomas at the OLB position. Thomas is a gamer, but I worry about his potential as an NFL caliber OLB.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
I like it. The Knighton signing deals with the NT issue and the secondary gets restocked in a big way with some veteran help too in Cason.

Only nitpicking, but I think you could get a better pass rusher than Chase Thomas at the OLB position. Thomas is a gamer, but I worry about his potential as an NFL caliber OLB.

We will also have Darius Fleming back from injury and Cam Johnson, sure they're question marks but I feel Fleming could contribute if 100%.

Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

We will also have Darius Fleming back from injury and Cam Johnson, sure they're question marks but I feel Fleming could contribute if 100%.

Nice pull on the highlight videos.........
I love it except taking a OT in the 3rd. how bout spending that 3rd on the best pass rusher and then a OT in the 4th because chase Thomas could fall a lot more than the 4th
Share 49ersWebzone