LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 256 users in the forums

MBA's mock draft 4.0 - Post Combine/Smith trade

may have to take Hopkins earlier than 7th
I see you want to cut Dixon...but, he's our only big RB. Didn't get a lot of carries last year, but when he did get the ball, he hit the hole with authority (finally). He's also a bellcow on ST's. You'd trade our #31 & 74 to move up to #20 to get...Datone Jones? Really? He's a fine player, but I question if he's stout enough to play DE in the 3-4. A better option IMHO is Sylvester Williams, who has the right size (6-3, 315), versatility (can play DE or DT) and is really quick. I'm against drafting a "pure" NT because that's all they do (to wit SW and hopefully a FA like Sammy Lee Hill would provide considerably more versatility). Agree Hopkins doesn't last that long...with a number of rookie K showing so well the last couple of seasons, I'd say late 5th is more likely, latest early 6th. I'd also favor Rhodes over Slay...especially w/Goldson likely gone, our secondary is really smallish. Xavier would provide some real size and potentially be a better matchup vs the bigger receivers. Love the Thomas and Rogers picks.
Good mock!!!
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I see you want to cut Dixon...but, he's our only big RB. Didn't get a lot of carries last year, but when he did get the ball, he hit the hole with authority (finally). He's also a bellcow on ST's. You'd trade our #31 & 74 to move up to #20 to get...Datone Jones? Really? He's a fine player, but I question if he's stout enough to play DE in the 3-4. A better option IMHO is Sylvester Williams, who has the right size (6-3, 315), versatility (can play DE or DT) and is really quick. I'm against drafting a "pure" NT because that's all they do (to wit SW and hopefully a FA like Sammy Lee Hill would provide considerably more versatility). Agree Hopkins doesn't last that long...with a number of rookie K showing so well the last couple of seasons, I'd say late 5th is more likely, latest early 6th. I'd also favor Rhodes over Slay...especially w/Goldson likely gone, our secondary is really smallish. Xavier would provide some real size and potentially be a better matchup vs the bigger receivers. Love the Thomas and Rogers picks.

Lots of stuff to go over. Let's take them one at a time:

- Dixon is our only big back and a decent ST player. The Niners have a surplus of RB's and just thought they could use the roster spot elsewhere. He can be replaced, especially on ST.
- Datone Jones is about the same size Justin Smith was when he came into the NFL. He played all over the UCLA line and generated 19 TFL and 6.5 sacks last year alone. I just think he is more explosive and a better option than Sly Williams, especially at pick #20.
- I agree with your idea about not drafting a pure NT. Soap only played 35% of the snaps last year at our NT. The Sammie Lee Hill pickup in free agency makes a ton of sense along with one or two draft picks.
- You are probably right on Dustin Hopkins, but Caleb Sturgis from Florida might last till the 7th.
- Xavier Rhodes will be gone in the top 15 picks. Would love to have him, but the Dolphins and the Bucs are both looking at CB help at picks #12 and #13. He won't last any longer than that. Since I did this mock, Slay's teammate Johnthan Banks ran a 4.5 at his Pro Day last week. He will be there if the Niners want him.

Good feedback. Keep it coming.....
As much as I'd like to have Datone Jones, I don't think the value he brings is worth giving up that third round pick. We need a replacement for Justin Smith, but the value that Jones brings does not equal or surpass the value of who would be available at pick #31 and pick #74. If anything, I see us packaging some lower picks to move into the 4th round or even third if possible. I could see us moving back from 31 to acquire more 2nd and 3rd round picks, but definitely not a move up considering the difference in talent from 20 to 31 isn't that great. I want a guy that can back up Justin Smith and eventually replace him, but that player may not be available this year. Outside of that, pretty good mock. Needs are filled and there aren't too much crazy reaches.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
As much as I'd like to have Datone Jones, I don't think the value he brings is worth giving up that third round pick. We need a replacement for Justin Smith, but the value that Jones brings does not equal or surpass the value of who would be available at pick #31 and pick #74. If anything, I see us packaging some lower picks to move into the 4th round or even third if possible. I could see us moving back from 31 to acquire more 2nd and 3rd round picks, but definitely not a move up considering the difference in talent from 20 to 31 isn't that great. I want a guy that can back up Justin Smith and eventually replace him, but that player may not be available this year. Outside of that, pretty good mock. Needs are filled and there aren't too much crazy reaches.

With all the draft picks we have, I don't think that argument works. In any normal year with just 7 picks, the guy you get would have to be markedly better than anyone else in that late round area. In this case, I see about 5 teams that would take Jones (Bengals, Vikings, Colts, Packers and most importantly the Seahawks) if we did not move up to get him at #20. Maybe it's just a draft man crush, but I would rather do this trade than let him go to one of these other teams.
Share 49ersWebzone