LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 242 users in the forums

MBA's mock draft 4.0 - Post Combine/Smith trade

With the Combine over and Alex Smith traded, here is my latest attempt at a mock:

Gone
Moss
Akers
Dixon
Ginn
Goldson
Haralson
Haggans
Soap
RJF

Extensions/Resign
D. Walker

One Trade
Trade Pick #31 and Pick #74 (from Carolina) to Chicago for Pick #20

Choices based on prospect rankings from NFLDraftScout.com dated 3/4/13.

Round 1 Datone Jones DE UCLA 6'4" 283 lbs - rotational D lineman and long term replacement for Justin Smith
Round 2a (from Kansas City) Darius Slay CB MIss St 6'0" 192 lbs - much needed cover corner
Round 2b Phillip Thomas FS Fresno St. 6'1" 208 lbs - coverage safety to replace Goldson
Round 3 Da'Rick Rogers WR Tenn Tech 6'3" 217 lbs - big, fast WR to take top off the defense
Round 4 Corey Lemonier OLB/DE Auburn 6'3" 255 lbs - pass rusher help for Aldon and Brooks
Round 4 (Comp Pick) JJ Wilcox SS Georgia Southern 6'0" 213 lbs - good Senior Bowl performance showed he belongs
Round 5 (from Colts) Matt Scott QB Arizona 6'2" 213 lbs - #3 QB
Round 5 Ace Sanders WR South Carolina 5'8" 176 lbs - best return man in college football; more weapons for Seely
Round 6 Josh Boyd DT Miss St. 6'3" 310 lbs - more depth on the d line
Round 6 Dennis Johnson RB Arkansas 5'8' 212 lbs - RB depth and also can return kicks
Round 7 Dustin Hopkins PK Florida St.6'2" 193 lbs - our new kicker
Round 7 Bruce Taylor ILB VA Tech 6'2" 244 lbs - depth behind our studs (from Bengals)
Round 7 Tanner Hawkinson OT Kansas 6'5" 298 lbs - potential 3rd OT
Round 7 (Comp Pick) Rod Sweeting CB Georgia Tech 5'11" 189 lbs - CB prospect
Round 7 (Comp Pick) Walter Stewart OLB/DE Cincinnati 6'4" 246 lbs - if he checks out medically, he could be a great late pickup
Nice selection of players. You have addressed our defensive needs thoroughly. Everyone seems to be stuck on Rogers as a WR. I like the picks of Scott, Sanders, Hopkins for backup QB and STs. Looks like Boyd is the NT?
Love it
Love this as well. Really well done. I do agree with Ninefan56 though that everyone has a real love affair with Da'Rick, not that it's a bad thing at all, but I'm thinking the one pick that you have here that might be wishful thinking is Lemonier. He had a good combine and I doubt he makes it out of the third round. In fact, I personally see him coming off the board before our late third rounder. My one critique would be to have him at that third round slot where Rogers is now and go with the best receiver or Wilcox at that first 4th round pick. Well done all around though!
Nice draft although I'd like X.Rhodes or L.Ryan over slay N I don't think Hopkins makes it to tha 7rd I think we should be start N grad him in tha 5th round ..
i like it but who the hell is going to play NT?
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
i like it but who the hell is going to play NT?

Yeah, my previous comment was referring to the actual selections made in the draft. Totally didn't realize RJF and Soap were let go...
While its a nice draft, NT is the single biggest need on this team this off season.

It must be addressed early IMO.
where is the NT 3d round Brandon Williams pick every mock needs?
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
While its a nice draft, NT is the single biggest need on this team this off season.

I did not factor in any free agency into this mock, but others have mentioned Sammie Lee Hill from the Lions as a possibility which could deal with the NT need. At one point I put in Montorri Hughes from Tennessee Martin in the 5th. I guess that's why I'm just playing a GM in this forum, not for real ;).

Nice mock, quick question... What has Matt Scott done to start getting placed in all these mocks? He is a great athlete and has a read option history, but its hard to see him go before the 7th/waiver round.
Originally posted by 5280High:
Nice mock, quick question... What has Matt Scott done to start getting placed in all these mocks? He is a great athlete and has a read option history, but its hard to see him go before the 7th/waiver round.

Be a decent athlete who would fit our offensive system. May not be an NFL ready QB, but someone the Niners coaches can develop.
[ Edited by m_brockalexander on Mar 6, 2013 at 8:02 AM ]
Nice draft.

BUT no NT. Hopkins won't bethere in the 7th
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

I did not factor in any free agency into this mock, but others have mentioned Sammie Lee Hill from the Lions as a possibility which could deal with the NT need. At one point I put in Montorri Hughes from Tennessee Martin in the 5th. I guess that's why I'm just playing a GM in this forum, not for real ;).

The problem is we need a NT now. As in like yesterday. while im not thrilled with starting a rookie, i ultimately think that is and will be the best course of action for the team. Thats why i feel we will take one early. We dont need a project.
[ Edited by IdahoNiner on Mar 6, 2013 at 9:45 AM ]
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

The problem is we need a NT now. As in like yesterday. while im not thrilled with starting a rookie, i ultimately think that is and will be the best course of action for the team. Thats why i feel we will take one early. We dont need a project.

If I were to change things based on NT being the higher priority, things would probably look like this:

Round 2a Jesse Williams NT Alabama 6'3" 323 lbs - that's your NT right there who could also move to DE if necessary
Round 5 Terry Hawthorne CB Illinois 6'0" 195 lbs - CB depth
Round 6 Steve Williams CB Cal 5'9" 181 lbs - CB depth
Share 49ersWebzone