Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Realistic Post-Combine Mock

2013 NFL Draft
49ers Trade 3rd (Panthers), 5th and 7th Round Pick for Mid-2nd Round Pick
49ers Trade 4th Round Pick, 6th Round Pick, 7th Round Pick for 3rd Round Pick
49ers Trade 2 7th Round Picks for 6th Round Pick

1st Round: WR Tavon Austin WVU 5'8" 174
The most explosive player in this year's draft, Austin gives the 49ers a dynamic weapon as a WR, RB and KR. He is the perfect compliment to a physical WR like Michael Crabtree on the other side.

NFL Comparison: Percy Harvin

2nd Round: DL Datone Jones UCLA 6'4" 282
Jones is a non-stop, blue-collar DL whose best fit is as a DE in a 3-4. Jones has a huge frame and plays with the type of intensity and violence that 49ers coaches love. He is a great pickup as the heir apparent to Justin Smith.

NFL Comparison: Darnell Dockett

2nd Round: S John Cyprien Florida Int'l 6'1" 209
With Goldson likely gone, the 49ers need to find a playmaker at FS and Cyprien is the 2nd best safety in the class (behind Vaccaro) for my money. Cyprien is equally adept at playing close to the box as he is diagnosing plays and making moves on the ball. He's not Goldson, but he's a pretty good replacement.

NFL Comparison: Michael Griffin

2nd Round: OLB Jamie Collins Southern Miss 6'3" 245
An athletic freak who's flying up draft boards, Collins should be available in late 2nd/early 3rd round. The depth at OLB behind Smith and Brooks is atrocious and the 49ers felt that when Smith got dinged up in the last few games of the year and his production suffered. Collins can come in a be a situational pass rusher early on while contributing to special teams.

NFL Comparison: Bruce Irvin

3rd Round: NT Brandon Williams Missouri Southern St. 6'2" 341
Williams is a MASSIVE but incredibly athletic NT prospect. He plays with good leverage and is almost impossible to move off the ball. He should come in a compete for a starting spot from day 1.

NFL Comparison: Casey Hampton

3rd Round: OC Barrett Jones Alabama 6'4" 306
Jones is a rock solid OG / C prospect. He isn't the most physically gifted player, but he's incredibly heady and technically sound. With Jonathan Goodwin becoming a FA after this season, Jones should become the next in line.

NFL Comparison: Max Unger

4th Round: CB Darius Slay Miss St. 6'0" 192
Slay is a CB with his stock on the rise. Slay posted one of the more impressive combines for CBs and a re-examination of film by scouts revealed a physical, athletically gifted CB who can really match up with WRs on the outside.

5th Round: K Dustin Hopkins FSU 6'1" 186
Hopkins is the most talented K in the draft this year with a huge left and solid accuracy.

6th Round: CB Tyrann Mathieu LSU 5'9" 174
Here the 49ers can afford to take a chance. Mathieu is fiery, talented CB who projects as a solid slot coverman. He brings some added value as a return man and special teams gunner.

6th Round: QB Matt Scott Arizona 6'2" 202
Scott is an athletic QB with a solid arm talent, in terms of both strength and accuracy. He had a strong senior season at Arizona and brings some developmental upside.
That would be a good draft for me .

Although I think trade for next years' picks has a lot of value too. I may be wrong, but I doubt Mathieu or Scott last til the 6th.
Best mock I've seen so far. Love the comparisons too.
I'd like that except for the 2nd pick. I'd rather go with Jessie Williams from Alabama, as it gives us more flexibility.
This draft is not realistic at all IMO.
Double posted
[ Edited by kentc1978 on Mar 4, 2013 at 2:21 PM ]
I'd have wet dreams for a week if this happened! I don't think Slay will last that long after tearing up the combine, neither will Honey Badger
Originally posted by drake49er:
This draft is not realistic at all IMO.

This. I see us moving back/out of the draft as many times as moving up.
Nice mock
good mock. do you think Slay slides that low?
Good job! Love the trades.
Don't like the C pick, I think Looney could take that job in the future. Kilgore could have a shot too.

Backup swing tackle seems to be amore likely offensive line acquisition.
I thought you said realistic! Austin, Cyprien, Jones, Slay, Mathieu, and Scott will all be gone before the slots you put them in IMO. Sure, the names are great but you are WAY to optimistic and not realistic in this mock
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I thought you said realistic! Austin, Cyprien, Jones, Slay, Mathieu, and Scott will all be gone before the slots you put them in IMO. Sure, the names are great but you are WAY to optimistic and not realistic in this mock

I agree completely. Slay is the biggest impossibility of all. Need to add the "un" before realistic!
This mock is realistically not going to happen! Those players you listed will be gone!
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home