LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 269 users in the forums

What CB would you pick at #31?

What CB would you pick at #31?

Now that we've trade Smith for the 34th pick we have to ability to address Dline and the secondary with essentially a 1st round pick. Who would you pick? Feel free to argue and let people know how wrong they are for choosing their guy.
[ Edited by eonblue on Mar 1, 2013 at 2:58 PM ]
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Trade up for Rhodes if he is within reach, if not, take Trufant.
I think Rhodes, just like Amerson, will end up as a safety in the NFL, although New England would love a guy like Rhodes who fits into their CB-FS desired hybrid, similar to McCourty.

You can't really lose with the other two but I think Banks is a steal this late in the draft. He was a guy predicted to go in the Top 10/15.....until he had an injury, missed the Senior Bowl, had a lousy Combine. Trufant's had a great offseason, but in terms of being a football player, give me Banks, although I doubt he'll fall this far, I think he'll turn things around at his Pro Day workout and jump back up the board. It may be that none of these players are available at 31. Milliner will be gone early and several other teams like Tampa Bay desperately need cornerback help.

Ultimately I think the 49ers will have to look at a cornerback in the 2nd round, someone like Alford, Slay, Logan Ryan or Poyer.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 1, 2013 at 3:04 PM ]
I rather take Slay in the 2nd
I'll ride with Banks. I like the size and his ball skills are better than the other two.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I think Rhodes, just like Amerson, will end up as a safety in the NFL, although New England would love a guy like Rhodes who fits into their CB-FS desired hybrid, similar to McCourty.

You can't really lose with the other two but I think Banks is a steal this late in the draft. He was a guy predicted to go in the Top 10/15.....until he had an injury, missed the Senior Bowl, had a lousy Combine. Trufant's had a great offseason, but in terms of being a football player, give me Banks, although I doubt he'll fall this far, I think he'll turn things around at his Pro Day workout and jump back up the board. It may be that none of these players are available at 31. Milliner will be gone early and several other teams like Tampa Bay desperately need cornerback help.

Ultimately I think the 49ers will have to look at a cornerback in the 2nd round, someone like Alford, Logan Ryan or Poyer.

Yea I think Banks will step it up at the pro day. He has to because this is his money. It's very true none of them could make it to us but they're mocked late round by most analysts. Partly because of all the Dline/Oline talent. I could see one of them making it to us.

Whats the deal with Poyer? I really like this guy but he has completely fell out of the 1st round and some people have him mocked in the 3rd. Don't get it.
  • pd24
  • Veteran

Ultimately I think the 49ers will have to look at a cornerback in the 2nd round, someone like Alford, Slay, Logan Ryan or Poyer.

I would be good with Banks in the 1st and taking Amerson later as a safety. Amerson is long and has good ball skills.
Well, if he's there at #31, Xavier Rhodes all the way. But he's the second best CB in this draft. He'll be gone by then. I'd hope for Desmond Trufant to be there at #31.

Trufant at 31, Jessie Williams NT at 34, and DaRick Rogers WR at 64 = 49er dynasty!
Originally posted by eonblue:
Yea I think Banks will step it up at the pro day. He has to because this is his money. It's very true none of them could make it to us but they're mocked late round by most analysts. Partly because of all the Dline/Oline talent. I could see one of them making it to us.

Whats the deal with Poyer? I really like this guy but he has completely fell out of the 1st round and some people have him mocked in the 3rd. Don't get it.

Boredom? I think its just that so many other guys got so much attention that he's been neglected.

He wasn't totally impressive at the Combine, 4.54 40....even though I think the whole thing is crap, didn't help him, he did well in the 60 yard shuttle but not as well in the 20 yard, he had a very low vertical(31 inches). He was solid all in all, but got lost in the hype of other guys run 4.4's and what not. He's someone who will likely be drafted lower than he rightfully should, than his talent and resume indicates.
Boredom? I think its just that so many other guys got so much attention that he's been neglected.

He wasn't totally impressive at the Combine, 4.54 40....even though I think the whole thing is crap, didn't help him, he did well in the 60 yard shuttle but not as well in the 20 yard, he had a very low vertical(31 inches). He was solid all in all, but got lost in the hype of other guys run 4.4's and what not. He's someone who will likely be drafted lower than he rightfully should, than his talent and resume indicates.
I think this is going to be the case with a lot of guys. I wonder if the FO is going to gamble and try to fill some positions of need with guys that took a plunge in the draft but were much better.

Jamar Taylor
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
isn't safety a bigger need than CB for us? Are Brown or Rogers going somewhere soon??
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
isn't safety a bigger need than CB for us? Are Brown or Rogers going somewhere soon??

Originally posted by ChazBoner:

Did you miss the last half of the season? Rodgers isn't worth 8mil. We could get more production from a 1st rd pick.
None. Get D-Linemen who can put pressure on the QB. That makes most CBs good enough.
[ Edited by 60sfan on Mar 1, 2013 at 4:09 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone