There are 157 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Analysis of Round 2 WR Prospects

Originally posted by Ice49er:
Would you rather be 196 with a 4.44 40 or 217 with a 4.52 40?

Depends on the match-up.
Without having studied them nearly as much as I want to (so basically 1st impressions)

I Like:
Austin (probably gone), Hopkins (possibly gone), Allen (probably gone), Patterson (probably gone), Patton (likely available), Bailey (3rd round?)

Don't Want:
Robert Woods, Hunter

Not Sure About:
Rogers, Williams
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 4, 2013 at 2:15 AM ]
Has anyone read/watched much about Rogers character issues? Seems that he is "unstable" whatever that means. Don't recall seeing that comment about other prospects in the past. Many interviews and background checks required!
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Has anyone read/watched much about Rogers character issues? Seems that he is "unstable" whatever that means. Don't recall seeing that comment about other prospects in the past. Many interviews and background checks required!

His issue is that he failed 3 consecutive drug tests at Tennessee as a sophmore. He then transferred to Tennessee Tech for his junior year. There isn't much more information that is publicly available than that.

It's not like he has on-the-field or locker room issues. I would trust our personnel staff to evaluate him and make the right call. Hopefully just the kind of s**t that a kid can grow out of.
Originally posted by blm7754:
His issue is that he failed 3 consecutive drug tests at Tennessee as a sophmore. He then transferred to Tennessee Tech for his junior year. There isn't much more information that is publicly available than that.

It's not like he has on-the-field or locker room issues. I would trust our personnel staff to evaluate him and make the right call. Hopefully just the kind of s**t that a kid can grow out of.

Thanks, that sets my mind at ease. Pundits should be careful regarding their language..."unstable" is a pretty serious criticism versus a few grass violations.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I'm a fan of Justin Hunter or Quinton Patterson in the 2nd, but would also love to get either Ryan Swope or Connor Vernon in the later rounds.

Wrong. The failed drug test are just the tip of the iceberg. He was rumored to have gotten into a fight with one of the coaches on the sideline. The guy is unstable. I'm not saying he can't grow out of it, but its not just drug.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I'm a fan of Justin Hunter or Quinton Patterson in the 2nd, but would also love to get either Ryan Swope or Connor Vernon in the later rounds.

Dude, this isn't Power Rangers, you can't make them morph and s**t.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

You underestimate the power of mod!
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

You underestimate the power of mod!

Haha!!!

Dammit those two always mix me up!!!

Well lets just draft Cordarrelle Patton then!!!
Originally posted by jta854:

Wrong. The failed drug test are just the tip of the iceberg. He was rumored to have gotten into a fight with one of the coaches on the sideline. The guy is unstable. I'm not saying he can't grow out of it, but its not just drug.

Vernon Davis and Alex Smith also got in fights with coaches on the sideline. Not a big deal as long as they all put it in their past.
Originally posted by jta854:

Vernon Davis and Alex Smith also got in fights with coaches on the sideline. Not a big deal as long as they all put it in their past.

Perhaps it's safe to say there may be an issue and Baalke will no doubt do his due diligence.
See my last response to Phoenix.

The term 'role player' could be seen as derogatory. I don't mean that, cause Austin could be a very productive player in the NFL. I don't have anything against smaller receivers, if you have some size at other positions to compensate and fill different needs.

We have VD (an average size TE), Walker (a downright small TE), Crabtree (an average size WR), Williams and Jenkins (both smaller/less physical WRs). We went with small speedy guys in last years draft. I think we need to look for different types of guys this year to give us a well rounded team.
We took one guy. And I will say that I agree that you need some guys with size, but let's not get so caught up with 6'3, 215 + lb receivers that we overlook talented guys. Guys with great game speed that can catch don't come too often, which is why I wouldn't be upset if we took Tavon Austin (3rd best option to me at pick 31 or 34).
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by Ice49er:
Would you rather be 196 with a 4.44 40 or 217 with a 4.52 40?

Depends on the match-up.

To me there is not a big difference in speed. I want the receiver with the better hands who can also make defenders miss (RAC).
I like Aaron Dobson and Marcus Wheaton. I think both of them are good. Wheaton reminds me a bit of Jeremy Maclin. He's pretty fast and quick and catches the ball well. I thought he looked really fluid at the combine. Dobson supposedly has great hands, despite having smaller hands.