There are 124 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Analysis of Round 2 WR Prospects

I think the one place where one could argue for the big WRs is in the redzone. But because the game isn't limited to Redzone situations, I'm inclined to agree.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
I agree with Rogers, since not all CBs you play will be the size of Browner or Sherman. You really need a good mix of bigger, physical WRs (to exploit the smaller CBs in the league) and those Tavon Austin-like WRs that can frustrate the bigger CBs and cause the right kinds of mismatches. I think too many fans believe you have to have a WR corps of one or the other (big/physical OR small/quick), but the reality is you need a good mix of both so you can game-plan effectively for whatever you're facing that week.

Absolutely. The correlation with bigger=better is mistaken. Many of the top WR's in football are around 6 feet tall, not huge, but they all either have outstanding quickness or are elite route runners. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of 2 early WR's in the draft. Going into the season with Crabtree, Jenkins and then Williams...(and who knows when Manningham will be back) seems more like same old.

That and waiting and drafting WR's late just so you can add more of them to your roster without regard for value and talent. With Austin, Rogers, Patton, Hopkins, to me those are all top shelf value WR's considering where they will be picked at. Take two of those and put the WR issue to bed for good.

The good thing about guys like Patton and Rogers is they have both the size you want and the short-area quickness that can beat the bigger CBs. I'm sure you know this, but Patton ran his 20 yard shuttle in the same time as Tavon Austin did (4.01), and Rogers wasn't far behind (4.06) and he's 6" taller and 40lbs heavier than Austin!

I wouldn't sleep on TJ Moe either, as a late-round slot WR. He's another Danny Amendola in the making; no long speed whatsoever, but will beat your nickel corner all day long in the 5-7 yard area to keep the chains moving.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
I think the one place where one could argue for the big WRs is in the redzone. But because the game isn't limited to Redzone situations, I'm inclined to agree.

Definitely. Though another way to do this is with those 6'6"/6'7" TEs like a Zach Ertz, Tyler Eifert, Gavin Escobar, Joe Fauria or a late-rounder like Zach Sudfeld. You can slide them out to create a mismatch with smaller corners/safeties. Eifert should be really effective doing this at 6'6" and a 36" vertical. If Levi Toilolo had any coordination at all he'd be deadly in this area at 6'8" and nearly 35" arms.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
This is absurd. Like I've said, Quinton Patton may very well turn out to be the best WR from this whole draft. Additionally you also have Keenan Allen, Da'Rick Rogers, Tavon Austin, DeAndre Hopkins, Markus Wheaton, lots of WR talent.


As much as you talk up Patterson, he also has some of the highest bust factor due to how raw he is. He's not a refined route runner, he is prone to drops at bad times, a lot of that can be coached up, but there are no guarantees with anyone.


Also, Harvin isn't coming to the 49ers, so get over it already.


Your player evaluations are worthless to me because your not very good at it i have zero interest in debating someone like you.
[ Edited by SkyGod on Mar 3, 2013 at 1:45 PM ]
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Maybe it's just me, but you don't beat big corners with even bigger WRs (that's the "arms race" mentality of most football teams). You beat big corners with smaller, quicker WRs by moving them around and playing them more in space (as opposed to traditional formations), thus taking away the big CBs advantage of playing physical at the line of scrimmage.

It's a game of chess, not checkers.

This may not sound profound, but it is. Smart post. I believe so much in the F.O. I was puzzled by the smallish skills guys we drafted (AJ/LMJ). Kinda not logical. GFD74. Nice job. I now see the light.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Definitely. Though another way to do this is with those 6'6"/6'7" TEs like a Zach Ertz, Tyler Eifert, Gavin Escobar, Joe Fauria or a late-rounder like Zach Sudfeld. You can slide them out to create a mismatch with smaller corners/safeties. Eifert should be really effective doing this at 6'6" and a 36" vertical. If Levi Toilolo had any coordination at all he'd be deadly in this area at 6'8" and nearly 35" arms.

GFD74. If I was a twitterhead, I'd be one of your loyal followers. Nice stuff.

QB and TE position have evolved, possibly more than any other positions. Running QBs/ read / run and throw. TEs are so much more a part of the offense .... than not long ago. When they were primarily offensive lineman, that could catch and occasional pass.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 31,700
If we're looking for a redzone target, we might as well draft Zach Ertz.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
If we're looking for a redzone target, we might as well draft Zach Ertz.

Not a fan of always going with Harbaugh's Stanfordonian selection, but given Kolohe is by far one of the more astute people on here. I'm all in.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
If we're looking for a redzone target, we might as well draft Zach Ertz.


Agreed we need another Brent Jones!
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Maybe it's just me, but you don't beat big corners with even bigger WRs (that's the "arms race" mentality of most football teams). You beat big corners with smaller, quicker WRs by moving them around and playing them more in space (as opposed to traditional formations), thus taking away the big CBs advantage of playing physical at the line of scrimmage.

It's a game of chess, not checkers.


I partially disagree. Rules require a certain number of guys on the line-of-scrimmage. So if you don't have anybody that can contend physically with big CBs, then the defense wins those matchups easily. You are also SERIOUSLY out matched in the red-zone, where there isn't space for anybody to work.

There is a reason why the best WRs in the league are all big. This argument is typical of teams (like us) that covet a Fitzgerald, Megatron, Julio Jones, Andre Johnson, etc. It's because they can do everything. There is no matchup that they can't win.

The reason I like Rogers so much is because he fits that mold. I'm not saying we couldn't make use of a guy like Tavon Austin. He'll be a solid role player IMO. But after drafting AJ Jenkins last year, I don't think we should be filling our team with short/weak players.
Originally posted by SkyGod:
Your player evaluations are worthless to me because your not very good at it i have zero interest in debating someone like you.

LOL.....yeah, BRB, can't wait until the 49ers bring in Percy Harvin, Greg Jennings AND Mike Wallace, you might try holding your breath bro.
Originally posted by blm7754:
I partially disagree. Rules require a certain number of guys on the line-of-scrimmage. So if you don't have anybody that can contend physically with big CBs, then the defense wins those matchups easily. You are also SERIOUSLY out matched in the red-zone, where there isn't space for anybody to work.

There is a reason why the best WRs in the league are all big. This argument is typical of teams (like us) that covet a Fitzgerald, Megatron, Julio Jones, Andre Johnson, etc. It's because they can do everything. There is no matchup that they can't win.

The reason I like Rogers so much is because he fits that mold. I'm not saying we couldn't make use of a guy like Tavon Austin. He'll be a solid role player IMO. But after drafting AJ Jenkins last year, I don't think we should be filling our team with short/weak players.


Austin is a role player if you consider guys like Victor Cruz and Wes Welker to be "role players." An explosive, quick/speedy talent like that can be damn near impossible to defend for most teams and it really forces their hand into how they are going to approach defending your team.


I've always been a huge believer in forcing the defense to adjust. I love the idea of a guy like Rogers because of his physical ability, but a team like Seattle isn't going to change what they do and how they defend for him. Without Randy Moss, teams will have one less reason to keep their safeties deep against the 49ers and I'm not optimistic enough to count on Jenkins to fill that void. Realistically they need both speedy and physical guys, but if it comes down to choosing one or the other, give me the fast or highly quick WR vs the slower, bigger, more physical possession receiver.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
LOL.....yeah, BRB, can't wait until the 49ers bring in Percy Harvin, Greg Jennings AND Mike Wallace, you might try holding your breath bro.

Where is the post where i said we should bring in Harvin Jennings AND Wallace?

I never ever said that because it's not doable so don't post BS.
Originally posted by SkyGod:
Where is the post where i said we should bring in Harvin Jennings AND Wallace?

I never ever said that because it's not doable so don't post BS.

Percy Harvin brah, Percy Harvin, its going down player! Greg Jennings and Revis too, they are going to sign everyone brah, everyone, just like you've predicted in all your many posts.






We can trust you because you got your online BS in Salary Cap-ology from the University of Stockholm.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 3, 2013 at 3:20 PM ]
Originally posted by blm7754:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Maybe it's just me, but you don't beat big corners with even bigger WRs (that's the "arms race" mentality of most football teams). You beat big corners with smaller, quicker WRs by moving them around and playing them more in space (as opposed to traditional formations), thus taking away the big CBs advantage of playing physical at the line of scrimmage.

It's a game of chess, not checkers.


I partially disagree. Rules require a certain number of guys on the line-of-scrimmage. So if you don't have anybody that can contend physically with big CBs, then the defense wins those matchups easily. You are also SERIOUSLY out matched in the red-zone, where there isn't space for anybody to work.

There is a reason why the best WRs in the league are all big. This argument is typical of teams (like us) that covet a Fitzgerald, Megatron, Julio Jones, Andre Johnson, etc. It's because they can do everything. There is no matchup that they can't win.

The reason I like Rogers so much is because he fits that mold. I'm not saying we couldn't make use of a guy like Tavon Austin. He'll be a solid role player IMO. But after drafting AJ Jenkins last year, I don't think we should be filling our team with short/weak players.


Originally posted by blm7754:
I partially disagree. Rules require a certain number of guys on the line-of-scrimmage. So if you don't have anybody that can contend physically with big CBs, then the defense wins those matchups easily. You are also SERIOUSLY out matched in the red-zone, where there isn't space for anybody to work.

There is a reason why the best WRs in the league are all big. This argument is typical of teams (like us) that covet a Fitzgerald, Megatron, Julio Jones, Andre Johnson, etc. It's because they can do everything. There is no matchup that they can't win.

The reason I like Rogers so much is because he fits that mold. I'm not saying we couldn't make use of a guy like Tavon Austin. He'll be a solid role player IMO. But after drafting AJ Jenkins last year, I don't think we should be filling our team with short/weak players.
This is where our tight ends or the larger receivers come into play. We could beat Seattle with a solid mix of running (more Kendall Hunter and LaMichael James than Gore) and guys like AJ Jenkins, Kyle Williams, and Tavon Austin if we were to draft him lined up in the slot. Beat them with pure speed and quickness. The threat of CK's running may also help to slow down the pass rush.

On your second point, why do you think Tavon Austin would simply be a role player? I see a shifty playmaker that can catch passes all over the field and be the deep threat Randy Moss was last season. Since he won't be back, we will be lacking that threat at the receiver position. Do you have something against receivers under 6'1 and 205 pounds?

There is a mock that has us taking Austin and Rogers. This combination or a combination of Austin and Justin Hunter or even a TE like Ertz would allow us to settle this position once and for all for the next 4 years. It also woudn't be so expensive cap wise allowing us to completely focus on the defense for the rest of our picks in 2013 (and we'd still have an extra 2nd rounder and two thirds to get quality players) as well as in 2014. I also don't expect many years like this where we would have a shot at so many starting caliber receivers at the end of the 1st and throughout the 2nd round.