There are 159 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Do the 49ers load up on D-Linemen in the draft.

Originally posted by captain_planet:
I'd be happy if we took a late-round flier on DL Nick Williams out of Samford (AKA The Forgotten Williams).
Why?

.6'4" 309 lbs.
.10-yard split (the best predictor of DL success of any combine statistic) was 1.63. That's the fastest time of anyone over 290 lbs. He's 309.
.Vertical jump: 33 inches. That's the highest of anyone over 290 lbs. Again, he's 309.
.Bench press: A rock solid 28 reps with long 34+ inch arms.

Has a basketball background, has only played football for 3 or 4 years. Can't teach his size and athleticism. A project. I think he's absolutely worth a late pick. Could become a steal with the right coaching.

At that point he's definitely worth the risk, certainly has the physical potential. Have you seen Chris Jones of Bowling Green? I love him as a small-school player, he absolutely dominated and he ended up doing pretty well at the Combine as well.
I reallly like the idea of getting Datone Jones and Jesse Williams with picks 31 and 34, then taking a CB ad WR with the next two picks. Getting both Jones and Williams could prove to be a stretch, but I like the sound of it.