There are 76 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

My short and sweet mock (first 5 picks)

Don't feel there is any point doing a mock without trades. Trades are obviously going to happen with the amount of picks we have

#31 Zach Ertz - TE - Missed out on Fleener last year, not gonna happen this year
#34 Kawann Short - DT - Big NOse tackle, stuff the run requires double coverage
Trade 63, and a couple of later round picks for Redskins
#51 Jonathan Cyprien - SS - Whitner was poor last year Cyprien would immediately improev our secondary
#74 Brandon Jenkins - DE - long term commitment to understudy for Smith
Trade #94 and a couple later round picks for Chargers #76
#76 Quinton Patton - WR - solid route runner, good speed.

With this we've improved our RZ, our D-Line and our Secondary.

Walker, Sop, Whitner can be let go.
Goldson franchised
Pick up a half decent corner in FA similar to Rodgers 2011 to a one year deal

I know i haven't tackled everything but meh
[ Edited by smithc28 on Feb 28, 2013 at 5:45 AM ]

Here we go again, another year of the TE in the 1st.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:

I was one of them last year but there seem to be more guys I like this year and too many other needs. If they do target a TE in the first though, it should be Eifert. I like Ertz but Tyler seems to be just that much better.

Logic would dictate taking a position the niners do not resign--DL, S...wherever the need is greatest because the talent will be there. Last year the talent was much more suspect.
Got no problem with that draft, smithc28.
I like it...I think we'll need another TE since it looks like Delanie is going to walk. I don't see Celek coming in and contributing like Delanie could. One guy I think the 49ers would be smart to sign to a low 1 or 2 year deal is Seymour.
I think this is what we should do, except we also need a DL/DE

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1543368-why-jim-harbaugh-needs-to-employ-bill-walshs-1981-draft-strategy-in-2013?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=san-francisco-49ers

Yea I thought the same thing.
Originally posted by BodyRocker:
I think this is what we should do, except we also need a DL/DE

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1543368-why-jim-harbaugh-needs-to-employ-bill-walshs-1981-draft-strategy-in-2013?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=san-francisco-49ers

Do not agree with that. The point of a new secondary in 81 was because the team were majority losers and used to losing. The secondary weren't, they were winners from college and brought a whole new mentality to the team.

The mentality of the team is here. We lost Championship game, come back and won that, then we lost the Superbowl game and hopefully we come back and win that.

Let Goldson test FA, if he's a winner he'll want to come back and get himself a ring if he's just about money, well do we really want to bother with a player like that. Same with the rest I can understand if it looks like you're going to be cut but if a team that was so close last time wants you back you should if only for a year and give yourself that chance to win the SB.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Can't wait.
Originally posted by smithc28:
Don't feel there is any point doing a mock without trades. Trades are obviously going to happen with the amount of picks we have

#31 Zach Ertz - TE - Missed out on Fleener last year, not gonna happen this year
#34 Kawann Short - DT - Big NOse tackle, stuff the run requires double coverage
Trade 63, and a couple of later round picks for Redskins
#51 Jonathan Cyprien - SS - Whitner was poor last year Cyprien would immediately improev our secondary
#74 Brandon Jenkins - DE - long term commitment to understudy for Smith
Trade #94 and a couple later round picks for Chargers #76
#76 Quinton Patton - WR - solid route runner, good speed.

With this we've improved our RZ, our D-Line and our Secondary.

Walker, Sop, Whitner can be let go.
Goldson franchised
Pick up a half decent corner in FA similar to Rodgers 2011 to a one year deal

I know i haven't tackled everything but meh

my thoughts, and in no way am i being disrespectful, but i don't see this happening at all. i like ertz, but i don't think he's necessarily needed in the 1st round. Short is a good pick and realistic at that spot, but he's not a nose tackle. from what i've read, he'd fit in a 4-3 or a tampa defense, but he might be able to transition well to a 5-technique in our base defense. purdue players have such great work ethic and i wouldn't doubt him being able to come in a give Smith or McDonald a breather. Cyprien is considered an end of 1st/top of 2nd draft pick, so hoping he's available at 51 might be a dream. i really like the Brandon Jenkins pick, but he's not a defensive end in our defense. he'd have to transition to an OLB, which i feel he can do. he's not a replacement to Smith.