LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 219 users in the forums

EJ Manuel

If this QB Somehow someway drops for whatever reason into the 3rd round, we need to snatch him up, let him learn the Pistol read option 49er Style for 2 or 3 years, then trade him for a 2nd rounder down the line. Thats what having 3 3rds can do!! I literally CANNNNNNNNOTTTTT Wait for the Draft!! Can anyone say DYNASTY???
Ehh. Ima Noles fan and hes not that good. But jim can work miracles.
Matt Scott in the 4th FTW!
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
If this QB Somehow someway drops for whatever reason into the 3rd round, we need to snatch him up, let him learn the Pistol read option 49er Style for 2 or 3 years, then trade him for a 2nd rounder down the line. Thats what having 3 3rds can do!! I literally CANNNNNNNNOTTTTT Wait for the Draft!! Can anyone say DYNASTY???

You realize a 2013 3rd is more valuable than a 2016 2nd right? Lol. I mean, draft him if you think he's our perfect backup QB, but as the pure "investment" you suggest, it would be a pretty bad one. As for our perfect backup QB, I think with our situation it would be better to plug other holes that high (3rd) in the draft. I think we should only do the developmental QB thing if there is someone we like in the 5th or later because the 3rd (and higher) is where we're going to get our next WR, our next DB, OLB, DL, etc.

If we're worried about the prospect of Tolzien stepping in for an injured CK, there are more proven backups on the market.
doublepost
[ Edited by LieutKaffee on Feb 28, 2013 at 12:18 AM ]
He is worth a late 1st round for his value. Not saying we should take him there, but taking him in the 3rd would be a great value pick.

All the hate on Manuel is one of the most puzzling things I've ever seen. In the Senior Bowl, he showed he was an NFL caliber starting QB and followed it up with a good Combine. Manuel has all the physical tools you could want in a QB, and has the athleticism and ability to run a pistol offense. He won't be Kapernick pulling off 50-60yard TD runs, but his athleticism is enough to pick up 10-20 yards on designed runs. There really isn't a glaring flaw in his game, he is a very well rounded QB.

He will most likely go in the 2nd.

And its laughable to me people are suggesting Matt Scott over Manuel. He is a product of Rich Rod's system and the majority of his best pass plays come off of play action as Ka'Deem Carey was near unstoppable. His footwork is poor, he often throws off his back foot, he will need adjustment to play under center, his zip on the ball is average, accuracy is average to below average and I've seen him underthrow wide open recievers many times, his throwing motion is too long but he has a quick arm that helps overcome it. With some work on the throwing motion, he could have a great delivery. He is a tough player with athleticism to run with the ball. His decision making is inconsistent, almost all of his passes are the 1st or 2nd read and he often locks onto recievers.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
He is worth a late 1st round for his value. Not saying we should take him there, but taking him in the 3rd would be a great value pick.

All the hate on Manuel is one of the most puzzling things I've ever seen. In the Senior Bowl, he showed he was an NFL caliber starting QB and followed it up with a good Combine. Manuel has all the physical tools you could want in a QB, and has the athleticism and ability to run a pistol offense. He won't be Kapernick pulling off 50-60yard TD runs, but his athleticism is enough to pick up 10-20 yards on designed runs. There really isn't a glaring flaw in his game, he is a very well rounded QB.

He will most likely go in the 2nd.

And its laughable to me people are suggesting Matt Scott over Manuel. He is a product of Rich Rod's system and the majority of his best pass plays come off of play action as Ka'Deem Carey was near unstoppable. His footwork is poor, he often throws off his back foot, he will need adjustment to play under center, his zip on the ball is average, accuracy is average to below average and I've seen him underthrow wide open recievers many times, his throwing motion is too long but he has a quick arm that helps overcome it. With some work on the throwing motion, he could have a great delivery. He is a tough player with athleticism to run with the ball. His decision making is inconsistent, almost all of his passes are the 1st or 2nd read and he often locks onto recievers.

Matt Scott won't cost you a 2nd round pick. He's much more raw, but the 49ers don't need someone ready to start, or close to playing, they need someone to sit and watch for a couple seasons. Taking Manuel in the 2nd is a waste of a pick considering this teams many other needs.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 28, 2013 at 9:55 AM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Matt Scott won't cost you a 2nd round pick. He's much more raw, but the 49ers don't need someone ready to start, or close to playing, they need someone to sit and watch for a couple seasons. Taking Manuel in the 2nd is a waste of a pick considering this teams many other needs.

I never said take Manuel in the 2nd. And it wouldn't be a "waste of a pick." Our backup is Scott Tolzien who is at best an emergency QB and at worst just a practice squad QB. This is a guy that couldn't make the Charges after pre-season that people want to rely on. As much as we love Kaepernick, its foolish to think he can't get hurt, espicially since we use him on run plays. Tolzien doesn't even fit the type of offense we've become, he is more of a Norv Turner type QB (hence SD first taking him).

We have other needs, and needs that are more pressing. But sometimes you makes value picks, aka BPA. And we DO have a need for a backup QB.

As much as you say we need a QB to "sit and watch for a couple of season" we have to prepare for the possiblity that Kaep gets hurt and we don't want to flush the season down the toilet if that happens. I am completely confident Kaepernick will miss games over the next 2-3 seasons, its inevitable.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
I never said take Manuel in the 2nd. And it wouldn't be a "waste of a pick." Our backup is Scott Tolzien who is at best an emergency QB and at worst just a practice squad QB. This is a guy that couldn't make the Charges after pre-season that people want to rely on. As much as we love Kaepernick, its foolish to think he can't get hurt, espicially since we use him on run plays. Tolzien doesn't even fit the type of offense we've become, he is more of a Norv Turner type QB (hence SD first taking him).

We have other needs, and needs that are more pressing. But sometimes you makes value picks, aka BPA. And we DO have a need for a backup QB.

As much as you say we need a QB to "sit and watch for a couple of season" we have to prepare for the possiblity that Kaep gets hurt and we don't want to flush the season down the toilet if that happens. I am completely confident Kaepernick will miss games over the next 2-3 seasons, its inevitable.

The same Tolzien is also on to his 3rd year in the system. Your assessment sounds exactly what people were saying about Kaepernick after this past preseason in terms of not being ready to start. I think Tolzien can make all the necessary plays and I'm fully content with him as a backup on this team. As far as a #3 QB goes, a guy like Matt Scott couldn't be anymore perfect to sit behind him and Kaepernick, to watch and learn, and then eventually develop into this team's top backup or be traded for more picks.

Yes, they do have a need for a backup QB, in the late 4th round and lower.....Matt Scott and Brad Sorenson territory, not EJ Manuel territory. Depending on how things go in the following weeks, he may even sneak into the late 1st round, far too early for the 49ers to choose a QB.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 28, 2013 at 10:11 AM ]
As a noles fan, I must add that adding Manuel would be a horrible draft pick! His accuracy is horrible although its kinda hard for most
to realize this because of the weak defenses he's piled stats on. He's a perfectionist who tries to put to much "touch" on his passes. His footwork in the pocket is sloppy too. Nice guy though....

*double post
[ Edited by 49ERFANb4Uwas on Feb 28, 2013 at 10:24 AM ]
  • Antix
  • Veteran
One thing I do not worry about anymore is our ability to evaluate QBs. I wouldn't be mad at Manuel, but he's gonna go in the second and wouldn't want him there. Harbs and Baalke will find the best QB available in the 4th or 5th and he'll be at least very good backup in a year or two.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
The same Tolzien is also on to his 3rd year in the system. Your assessment sounds exactly what people were saying about Kaepernick after this past preseason in terms of not being ready to start. I think Tolzien can make all the necessary plays and I'm fully content with him as a backup on this team. As far as a #3 QB goes, a guy like Matt Scott couldn't be anymore perfect to sit behind him and Kaepernick, to watch and learn, and then eventually develop into this team's top backup or be traded for more picks.

Yes, they do have a need for a backup QB, in the late 4th round and lower.....Matt Scott and Brad Sorenson territory, not EJ Manuel territory. Depending on how things go in the following weeks, he may even sneak into the late 1st round, far too early for the 49ers to choose a QB.

I've never once said the 49ers should draft Manuel.

I said Manuel is a great value pick in the 3rd.

Saying that you pass on a guy in the 3rd because there is another guy you could POSSIBLY grab in the 4th or 5th is absurd. No GM sits there and thinks "Gee, I really want to draft this guy. But maybe if I wait 30+ more picks a guy I like less may still be around." I cannot stand that kind of draft grading because its complete assumptions. When the pick in the 3rd comes, Niners GM don't know if Scott or someoen will be around in the 4th. For all they know, Scott could be picked right after their 3rd round pick.

If Manuel is the 49ers BPA its a perfectly fine pick to take him in the 3rd as its great value at that point and fits a need.
Originally posted by 49ERFANb4Uwas:
As a noles fan, I must add that adding Manuel would be a horrible draft pick! His accuracy is horrible although its kinda hard for most
to realize this because of the weak defenses he's piled stats on. He's a perfectionist who tries to put to much "touch" on his passes. His footwork in the pocket is sloppy too. Nice guy though....

Don't know what you're watching but Manuel's footwork is solid and his accurcay is great. The only QB with better accuracy then Manuel in the draft is Geno Smith.
Might as well be named BJ Manuel DO NOT WANT
Share 49ersWebzone