There are 104 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Addressing Needs

Knowing Baalke there might be a few surprises come draft day and everything is hard to speculate at this point because free agency isn't here yet and it is hard telling what players we will resign or let walk and what new additions we might add to the team via free agency. The 49ers I think can go best player available with some of their picks in the draft. My question is if you had to pick right now what positions do you think we will address in the draft with the picks we have in rounds 1-3??

As of right now I have it playing out like this

Rd1- D Line
RD2 (34)- Secondary
RD2 (61)- Secondary
Rd3- Pass Rusher
Rd3- Wide Reciever

Just curious to what everyone's thoughts are on this
I like that order. . Short DT Purdue 31st. Ertz TE Stanford 34th. Phillip Thomas S Fresno st. at 61. 74th pick Margus Hunt. I like the kid Vernon from Duke. WR. Catches everything and knows how to get open. And gotta draft Hopkins K from Florida st
Originally posted by suckafree17:
I like that order. . Short DT Purdue 31st. Ertz TE Stanford 34th. Phillip Thomas S Fresno st. at 61. 74th pick Margus Hunt. I like the kid Vernon from Duke. WR. Catches everything and knows how to get open. And gotta draft Hopkins K from Florida st

That would be a nice draft indeed.
Vernon had a great combine, isnt a blazer but can catch anything.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Tj MacDonald in 2nd... if he produces anything like his dad were golden
BPA
Will depend on: A). Which of our own FA are resigned and B). Which FA acquisitions we get.

Just guessing - DL, WR, S - in that order
Without knowing comp picks:
1 = FS
2, 2, 3, 3, 4 = Any order of NT/CB/DE/WR/2nd TE (if Walker is gone)
5, 5, 6, 6, 7, 7 = Any order of 3rd T, OLB, K, ILB, #3 QB, ILB/4th RB Upgrade
----------------------------------------------

S - Doubt Spillman or Robinson are the answer if Goldson is gone. Need a FS probably at 31 or 34 and possibly a SS to take over for Whitner after his contract is up after 13.

CB - Brown is a free agent after next year and Rogers could be cut after 2013 to save big money for 2014-2015 where we have a lot of young good FAs. Cox is a solid 4, maybe 3. Brock is a ST guy only. So someone who could either start or be a 3rd CB with Culliver and possibly Brown.

NT - If we re-sign Sopoaga then we should be ok with Ian Williams backing him up. If not then I'm not so sure they see RJF as the future at NT but he might be gone regardless.

DE - Need a guy who can rotate in and get consistent pressure and take over for Justin in a year or 2.

#2 TE - If Delanie Walker isn't re-signed then 2nd TE is a high need. We use our #2 TE a lot. We would need someone who can get 1st downs/TDs and block as well.

WR - Manningham might not return back 100%. He and Williams are also FAs after 2013. Moss and Ginn are gone. Possibly someone big and tall to compliment our speedy quick WRs but also could see us going all speed with Kap and this offense.

#3 T - Someone who can backup both sides so we don't have to shuffle Boone who is doing well at RG to T if someone goes down.

#3/4 OLB - Depends on if Haralson gets cut to save money. If he does than we would have Darius Fleming and maybe Cam Johnson. Could use someone else. If Haralson is back then we should be ok.

LATE ROUND NEEDS:
K - Probably use the draft but could set up a competition tryout between a bunch of off the street FA kickers. Can't afford big $ guys like Dawson.

ILB - Grant/Gooden are FAs. Mike Wilhoite could replace one but if we lose both we would need 1.

#3 QB - If Alex is cut/traded then we will need someone to compete with Tolzien for the #2 spot. My guess is Tolzien will be #2. Doubt we go the FA route as Moore is the only decent one and he will get decent money to compete for a starting job.

Possibly C - If Goodwin is cut to save 4.25 million than C would be a very high need if they don't think Joe Looney (or Kilgore) is the answer. I think Goodwin stays and Looney takes over next year.

Possibly 4th RB - A power RB who can play ST and be an upgrade over Dixon. Dixon is playing better and running like a power back instead of a dancing shifty back so he might stick.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 9, 2013 at 5:12 AM ]
Originally posted by fan49:
Tj MacDonald in 2nd... if he produces anything like his dad were golden

McDonald will go in the 5th/6th round imo he is a SS that plays in the box like a LB & his cover skills are poor maybe had to do with Monte Kiffin coaching USC defense
BPA is the way to go. You don't pass up an impact player just because you have another need perceived to be higher. They took James last year when they already had Hunter, but he has turned out to be pretty darn good and may make a huge impact next year as a returner and change of pace RB coming in for Gore and Hunter. Was that a wasted 2nd round pick because we could have used another DE?
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by iowa49er_75:
Knowing Baalke there might be a few surprises come draft day and everything is hard to speculate at this point because free agency isn't here yet and it is hard telling what players we will resign or let walk and what new additions we might add to the team via free agency. The 49ers I think can go best player available with some of their picks in the draft. My question is if you had to pick right now what positions do you think we will address in the draft with the picks we have in rounds 1-3??

Rd1- D Line
RD2 (34)- Secondary
RD2 (61)- Secondary
Rd3- Pass Rusher
Rd3- Wide Reciever

We draft players, not positions.

We should draft best player available at a position of need.
Originally posted by buck:
We draft players, not positions.

We should draft best player available at a position of need.

Just wanted to bump this as we get closer to the draft! Key concept we all need to remember...Baalke is likely to surprise us!

Rd1- D Line
RD2 (34)- Secondary
RD2 (61)- Secondary
Rd3- Pass Rusher
Rd3- Wide Reciever

I think Baalke is more confident in Ian Williams and Trent Robinson to do the jobs of NT and Safety than a rookie would be. I think all our holes have been filled and our starters are in the squad already.

Draft day i believe will be about next years FA

1st round - WR for Crabree
2nd round - D-Line for J.Smith
2nd round - TE for Delanie Walker
3rd round - OLB for Haralson and/or Brooks
3rd round - SS for Whitner
4th round - CB for Rodgers/Brown

Mix them up a bit as BPA at the position but i think the talent pool is similar to this, lots of secondary in 3rd and 4th round and WR needs to be early for a no.1.

Baalke is always a few moves ahead and can't imagine he is hoping to find a starting NT and FS for this year in the draft, what if the rookie can't get ready like AJ Jenkins its just not his way. Rookie sits mostly for a year learn the NFL way and then thrown in as a starter year 2.
Originally posted by smithc28:

Rd1- D Line
RD2 (34)- Secondary
RD2 (61)- Secondary
Rd3- Pass Rusher
Rd3- Wide Reciever

I think Baalke is more confident in Ian Williams and Trent Robinson to do the jobs of NT and Safety than a rookie would be. I think all our holes have been filled and our starters are in the squad already.

Draft day i believe will be about next years FA

1st round - WR for Crabree
2nd round - D-Line for J.Smith
2nd round - TE for Delanie Walker
3rd round - OLB for Haralson and/or Brooks
3rd round - SS for Whitner
4th round - CB for Rodgers/Brown

Mix them up a bit as BPA at the position but i think the talent pool is similar to this, lots of secondary in 3rd and 4th round and WR needs to be early for a no.1.

Baalke is always a few moves ahead and can't imagine he is hoping to find a starting NT and FS for this year in the draft, what if the rookie can't get ready like AJ Jenkins its just not his way. Rookie sits mostly for a year learn the NFL way and then thrown in as a starter year 2.

I am curious do you think they will let him get away to free agency? I mean he is our first round pick and has been emerging as a number one reciever lately.
It would be a smart move to groom someone to fill the void if we can't resign Crabs - IMO his agent Parker will be tough as nails to deal with.

Based on our resignings ADavis the most recent, our FO is thinking and planning ahead of schedule.

This draft would be an opportunity to find additional key pieces for a dynasty.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home