LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 325 users in the forums

Cornelius Washington Bandwagon

I would really love to see the niners pull the trigger on this guy. He's fast, he's Strong, he's big. He plays special teams. I would love to see him groomed behind Justin Smith. I think all that strength will make teams pick their poison with him and Aldon. In the meantime, he could probably back up Aldon at OLB.

3rd rounder? Count me in.
Georgia's Cornelius Washington was the best defensive lineman and Oklahoma's Lane Johnson the best offensive lineman for the South team during Senior Bowl week in Mobile, according to Phil Savage, the all-star game's executive director

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/02/senior_bowl_review_cornelius_w.html

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/cornelius-washington?id=2539232

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2013/2/25/4028770/nfl-combine-results-cornelius-washington

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=84810&draftyear=2013&genpos=de
  • buck
  • Veteran
Baalke has made it pretty clear that film of a player over his career is one of the three most important factors in evaluating a player.

In 51 games, Washington has had 10.5 sacks, 17 tackles for a loss, and 76 tackles.

I doubt the film would find enough to justify using a 3rd round pick on him.

I could see taking him with a 5th round pick, maybe a 4th. .
[ Edited by buck on Feb 27, 2013 at 7:22 PM ]
Originally posted by buck:
Baalke has made it pretty clear that film of a player over his career is one of the three most important factors in evaluating a player.

In 51 games, Washington has had 10.5 sacks, 17 tackles for a loss, and 76 tackles.

He's had a lot of talented guys around him on that team....and Baalke does look at the film..so he might see something that doesn't show up on a stat page. Some guys force the play elsewhere or do things that help the team...

in fact, you should read what was said in the last link...he was used to take up blockers so that the other guys could make plays....which is what we need if he backs up Justin.
[ Edited by Jakemall on Feb 27, 2013 at 8:19 PM ]
I remember watching the Senior Bowl and taking notes on it by a players # (not their name). I dind't even know much about Cornelius Washington at the time but I kept writing down his number with positive notes. After I looked up who players were based on their number he skyrocketed to my attention. Just looked fantastic out there, I think it was MD who pointed out his strong hands and could not agree more. Lineman were not getting any push on him in the run game when he engaged with his hands, very impressive. He also looked like a very fluid athlete with quick feet.
That dudes name sounds like he is a 95 year old man. DO NOT WANT
I don't know man, based off his name he doesn't sound very talented. Not sure how good a 95 year old man would be at NT.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
How old is this guy 95? I'll pass
  • mod
  • Veteran
Cornelius lol
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by buck:

He's had a lot of talented guys around him on that team....and Baalke does look at the film..so he might see something that doesn't show up on a stat page. Some guys force the play elsewhere or do things that help the team...

in fact, you should read what was said in the last link...he was used to take up blockers so that the other guys could make plays....which is what we need if he backs up Justin.

I have done some follow up reading on and thinking about him since I posted that.

It looks like I underestimated the guy.

He had a good senior bowl and a good combine.

If he can become a good 3-4 defensive end, I would love to have him and if it takes a third, ok.

BUST
LMAO...old name.

He did get noted as a beast by all Senior Bowl writers, but I wonder is he a Justin Smith or a Parys Haralson?
Originally posted by TommyFrazier:
LMAO...old name.

He did get noted as a beast by all Senior Bowl writers, but I wonder is he a Justin Smith or a Parys Haralson?

Both their ages combined
[ Edited by marshniners24 on Feb 28, 2013 at 1:02 PM ]
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/risersandfallers

The Bulldogs have several defenders who will hear their name called in the 2013 NFL Draft, including notable prospects like Jarvis Jones, Alec Ogletree and John Jenkins. However, one name who is often overlooked is Washington, a versatile pass rusher who turned heads at the Senior Bowl and this past week in Indianapolis. At 6-4 and 265 pounds, he was one of the top performers among several drills, including the 40-yard dash (4.55), bench press (36 reps), vertical leap (39 inches) and broad jump (10-8). Miscast as a down-lineman in the Georgia's three-man front, Washington registered just a half sack as a senior in 2012 and was used to occupy blocks, freeing up room for Jones and the other Bulldog pass rushers. But Washington has the athleticism to be a handful for blockers in his own right.
Originally posted by valrod33:
That dudes name sounds like he is a 95 year old man. DO NOT WANT

Can never argue with your logic....
Share 49ersWebzone