There are 105 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Defense Prospects Post Combine?

Well it appears that there has been a big shuffle of players now that the combine is almost done. We should see all kinds of new mock drafts with the new data.
It looks like there has been some sorting out as a result of the combine. Any Defensive Linemen show up as good candidates? It looks like a lot of NT did not show too well. Any word on Brandon Williams? I know he lifted well but how about his position drills? How did David Bass show in the LB drills? It looks like Jesse Williams did not show up in a great way but is he workable? Who are the Safeties and CBs that have shown some quality?
It's kind of a mess as a lot of guys were scrunched up closely to begin with and now there's going to be a lot of teams going back to watch film again. I would still feel comfortable with the 49ers drafting Jesse Williams in the 1st round.


Brandon Williams did very well by all accounts, I didn't see the positional drills but from what I heard he did better than expected and further improved upon his standing from the Senior Bowl.
Is Brandon Williams an upgrade over Ricky Jean Francois? How would he compare with Sop?
Also any word on LB David Bass?

Have any defensive players been eliminated from consideration? It seems some of the DTs turned out to be fat slugs with little playing value.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Also any word on LB David Bass?

Have any defensive players been eliminated from consideration? It seems some of the DTs turned out to be fat slugs with little playing value.

Maybe it's just me, but he didn't stand out in any way.
Thanks for the feedback guys. I really appreciate it. I know that Ansah, Hunt, and a number of other players did well. But did any of the NTs show any qualities we can use?
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 11,529
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Also any word on LB David Bass?

Have any defensive players been eliminated from consideration? It seems some of the DTs turned out to be fat slugs with little playing value.

Maybe it's just me, but he didn't stand out in any way.

Bass was a top performer in 20 yard shuttle with a time of 4.33

Here is an article

The 6-foot-4, 262-pound, Griffons standout ran a 4.84 40-yard dash Monday, the 15th-fastest time of the day among defensive linemen.
That time was a bit slower than the 4.69 he ran last spring.

His vertical jump of 30½" also came a bit off of his best mark of 33, which would've been tied for 11th best among defensive linemen.

In the standing broad jump, Bass leaped 9-3. In the bench press (lifting 225 pounds), Bass had 20 reps

http://www.newspressnow.com/sports/college/missouri_western_griffons/article_99bcd244-00fb-5878-8f68-eb5ce3081640.html?mode=story#sthash.4xp2lh6d.dpuf
Is Bass a realistic potential for the Niners? Anyone play themselves out of a realistic potential to be drafted by the Niners?
  • buck
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 11,529
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Thanks for the feedback guys. I really appreciate it. I know that Ansah, Hunt, and a number of other players did well. But did any of the NTs show any qualities we can use?

Two of the top potential nose tackles, Jessie Williams and John Jenkins, only did the bench, so it is impossible to make an accurate comparison.
Both benched 30 times.

Here are the numbers for the other nose tackle candidates.

Brandon Williams 6'1 ¼ 335
Montori Hughes 6'4 329
TJ Barnes 6'6 ¼ 369
Kwame Gathers 6'5 3/8 342

Bench Press

Brandon Williams 30
Montori Hughes 22
TJ Barnes 22
Kwame Gathers did not lift

Vertical

Brandon Williams 29.5
Montori Hughes 26.5
TJ Barnes 22
Kwame Gathers 26.5

BJ

Brandon Williams 8' 6"
Montori Hughes 8'8"
TJ Barnes 8'1"
Kwame Gathers 8'2"

10 yard split

Brandon Williams 1.79
Montori Hughes 1.83
TJ Barnes 1.91
Kwame Gathers 1.88

[ Edited by buck on Feb 26, 2013 at 5:11 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
It's kind of a mess as a lot of guys were scrunched up closely to begin with and now there's going to be a lot of teams going back to watch film again. I would still feel comfortable with the 49ers drafting Jesse Williams in the 1st round.


Brandon Williams did very well by all accounts, I didn't see the positional drills but from what I heard he did better than expected and further improved upon his standing from the Senior Bowl.


Agree. As many of the pundits said during the combine, this likely confirmed what the film told coaches or gave them something to look for going back to the film. There didn't seem to be many negative surprises but there were numerous positives in the 40 times. Of course, I was just paying attention to the 9ers needs and didn't watch the whole thing. This gives the coaches a chance to interview and get a more personal feeling about character. Imagine how much money Mathieu has riding on his interviews!
Looks like B. Williams is at least in the ball park of the other NTs.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Looks like B. Williams is at least in the ball park of the other NTs.

Still think he's a 2nd rounder, mid to late.
There's quite a few defensive backs who did themselves well at the Combine. Even for someone like Johnthan Banks, who had some disappointing numbers, I don't know that he'll drop too far, there's simply too much good tape on him, he's highly skilled...etc. Guys like Xavier Rhodes, Desmond Trufant, Dee Milliner, Jordan Poyer and Darius Slay all helped their cause.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 26, 2013 at 7:59 PM ]
If he is a second rounder then he could fit into our draft plans if we are looking for a NT. Would he have any more potential than RJF?
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
If he is a second rounder then he could fit into our draft plans if we are looking for a NT. Would he have any more potential than RJF?

Yes, definitely. He's got the legitimate size and skills plus surprising athleticism, if anything I feel that he's still somewhat underrated due to playing a lower level of competition. Ideally I'd love to see a rotation of someone like Williams along with a veteran at NT next season.