There are 208 users in the forums

Worried T Austin = Santana moss

Originally posted by rtj03:
I like Austin a lot!!! Wouldn't mind if we drafted him. But he reminds me sooo much of Santana moss. Moss has been average his Entire career and really has never been the difference maker he was suppose to be when drafted.

Why is Austin different?

Say what? I think you might want to go look at his stats.
Originally posted by NTeply49:
Austin compliments Crabtree well and helps our team in the return game. I am concerned abiut Jenkins and his ability to play in the slot. We did try to use Gin on reverses the last few years. Also, I've been a fan of Santana Moss and he has always been a playmaker but has had steady inconsistency at qb wherever hes played and before Griffin showed up his best qbs were Chad Pennington and Rex Grossman. Bottom line is Austin has been healthy and and productive throughout his career and if he falls to 31, I say take him. Big bodied 1 trick pony deep threats can be found lower in the draft and he still has the speed to be Desean Jackson esque.

Agree with all you said. It's not the size of the dog, but the size of the fight in the dog. Kid seems tough, don't care how small he is, can he play football. Plenty of big wr's that never did anything rodgers, mike williams. I'll take a guy who's smaller if he's a player. I trust Trent to aquire the best player football player he can at each pick.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Here is something to worry about.

Seattle drafting Tavon Austin.
Originally posted by buck:

LOL, not too worried, Pete Carroll has a tremendous height fetish, more concerned about them taking Datone Jones or Jesse Williams.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

LOL, not too worried, Pete Carroll has a tremendous height fetish, more concerned about them taking Datone Jones or Jesse Williams.

I guess his height fetish didnt apply to taking a 5'11" inch QB.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

Touche, but in terms of WR's, he hasn't been exactly bringing in a bunch of midgets. I would say that Keenan Allen is more like the Pete Carroll ideal when it comes to a WR in this draft. Sidney Rice is 6'4", Owens, Mike Williams and Edwards were also big receivers. Beyond that both Baldwin and Tate are 5-11.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 24, 2013 at 12:56 PM ]
Originally posted by 9erred:
This, reportedly Tank Carradine will also be ready to workout at his Pro Day....if so, that could shoot him back up into the 1st round. I care f**k all about Tavon Austin, this team got an undersized playmaker in Jenkins, they need to let him continue to develop. But if all of this craziness allows Datone Jones to fall to the 49ers, I'm down.

Originally posted by 9erred:
Look at the glass half full. The folks are now being enthralled by 40 times and the underwear olympics. Teams that are losing need offense. They need to score points to keep their fan base hopeful. Because of this very reason I am predicting that 3 qb's go in round 1. They are not worthy of round 1, but with the rookie wage scale, paying someone 22 million over 4 years is less of a gamble than 55 million over 5 as in the past.

Geno Smith, Nassib and Barkley qb's gone b4 niners pick.

Tavon Austin, Kennan Allen et al b4 niners pick.

This is GREAT news because now the Niners can have a D lineman fall to pick 31, or even Kenny Vaccaro, who recently went in one mock draft at pick 32.

This, reportedly Tank Carradine will also be ready to workout at his Pro Day....if so, that could shoot him back up into the 1st round. I care f**k all about Tavon Austin, this team got an undersized playmaker in Jenkins, they need to let him continue to develop. But if all of this craziness allows Datone Jones to fall to the 49ers, I'm down.

This is me living in my arm chair GM world. Imagine if more offensive players do get picked in the first 30 picks causing DL and safeties to fall.

Pick 31- Jesse Williams- Would pick him over Datone Jones, but wait it gets better.

In my dream world, the Niners Trade Alex Smith, and their second round pick (pick 62) for pick 34, could be realistic as the Chief still get a second rounder and AS.

Pick 34- Niners pick Datone Jones. - Boom, the Niners have a young DL to devlope under Cowboy and McDonald.

Then backfill the rest of the draft, getting a kicker in the 5th. This is my dream, ridiculous yes, but we all can dream.

I like your dream. There will be plenty of fast WR's still around later. Tomorrow will be just as interesting. I am most interested in seeing the secondary players workout.
I love this dude. He's crafty and so fast but I don't think he's the answers for our offensive needs. Despite his utility we need some that can run a sub 4.4 at about 6'0 or taller. Someone that can blow the roof off but is physical enough to go underneath.Still if Austin slipped to end of the 2nd I would pick him twice.
Originally posted by eonblue:
I love this dude. He's crafty and so fast but I don't think he's the answers for our offensive needs. Despite his utility we need some that can run a sub 4.4 at about 6'0 or taller. Someone that can blow the roof off but is physical enough to go underneath.Still if Austin slipped to end of the 2nd I would pick him twice.

Pretty sure Goodell would freak if you tried to do that.

Yup, if he gets past St. Louis with their two 1st round picks.

Originally posted by btthepunk:
Austin just ran a 4.25! Santana Moss has always been pretty good. He's just getting older now and phased out. He's pretty much always been on barely average teams. The best QB he's ever had throwing to him is RG3 for one year.

Not big on 40 times but whoa.... 4.25 and to bench 225 14 reps when his weight is far under 225. Not sure if I'm more impressed by his workout or his game tape. IMO he'll be better than Santana Moss, more like Steve Smith....Kid is tough
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

49ers with their 14 picks trade up in front of Seattle and select Tavon Austin
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
49ers with their 14 picks trade up in front of Seattle and select Tavon Austin

This!
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by eonblue:

Tavon Austin will not be available at the end of the second round.

The team should draft the best player available, given that that player plays a position of need.

If Austin is on the board when we draft, there is a good chance he will be the best player available.
If so, we should draft him.

Fundamentally, the draft is about picking players--not sizes or positions.

R. Woods and K Balmer had the right size and played the right positions. How did drafting them work out?
[ Edited by buck on Feb 24, 2013 at 2:25 PM ]
He's small but definitely not fragile.
Share 49ersWebzone