LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 261 users in the forums

BigWads Mock Offseason 2013 2.0 (post combine)

Originally posted by bigwads:
I'm not sure what you mean by "underwriting" Manningham. If you mean under estimating him, that really has nothing to do with it. Did you read my comment earlier when I said that if Manningham wasn't hurt IMO we would have won the superbowl? I really like Manningham, he is a great complimentary player IMO. The Williams v. Manningham issue is really just about money. We can afford to take a chance on Williams because he makes the league minimum or close to it. We are 2.5 million over the cap right now, people are going to have to get real about our cap problem.

You need to get real about our WR problem. Drafting 1 wr with sub par route running and then not signing or resigning anyone is suicide. Then cutting our only young and reliable option is like begging teams to man us all season and pack the box. Rodgersband Jenkins are going to require stregth training conditioning and lots practice running route. Its the NFL all the.corners.are good and thats probably why AJJ didnt see much action because they knew he was going to be someones snack. I guess are run game could compensate for the lack of a reliable pass corp. But then again your cutting the center and the leading rusher. Hey at least will be under cap and picking first next draft.
Originally posted by eonblue:
I'm not sure what you mean by "underwriting" Manningham. If you mean under estimating him, that really has nothing to do with it. Did you read my comment earlier when I said that if Manningham wasn't hurt IMO we would have won the superbowl? I really like Manningham, he is a great complimentary player IMO. The Williams v. Manningham issue is really just about money. We can afford to take a chance on Williams because he makes the league minimum or close to it. We are 2.5 million over the cap right now, people are going to have to get real about our cap problem.

You need to get real about our WR problem. Drafting 1 wr with sub par route running and then not signing or resigning anyone is suicide. Then cutting our only young and reliable option is like begging teams to man us all season and pack the box. Rodgersband Jenkins are going to require stregth training conditioning and lots practice running route. Its the NFL all the.corners.are good and thats probably why AJJ didnt see much action because they knew he was going to be someones snack. I guess are run game could compensate for the lack of a reliable pass corp. But then again your cutting the center and the leading rusher. Hey at least will be under cap and picking first next draft.

I need to get real about our WR problem. Is that a joke?

So keeping Manningham and Williams somehow solves our WR problem....that is freaking stupid.

What young and reliable option am I cutting?

Why don't you try to figure out how we are going to solve our cap issue and sign a bunch of guys to fill in gigantic holes in the team (NG, FS) and come up with an answer better than my mock. Good luck...or maybe you can take the Obama approach and pretend it doesn't exist.
[ Edited by bigwads on Feb 23, 2013 at 1:43 PM ]
I need to get real about our WR problem. Is that a joke?

So keeping Manningham and Williams somehow solves our WR problem....that is freaking stupid.

What young and reliable option am I cutting?

Why don't you try to figure out how we are going to solve our cap issue and sign a bunch of guys to fill in gigantic holes in the team (NG, FS) and come up with an answer better than my mock. Good luck...or maybe you can take the Obama approach and pretend it doe

WR - Crabtree, Jenkins(0 catches), Kyle Williams(injured and isn't half the receiver manningham is), Rookie

Lol Seattles secondary is going to have fun with that.

How about cutting 1 of 8 CBS you have on the roster and keeping Manningham? Or converting one of them to WR. Idk man I give up.
Bump

After getting chewed out by the Zone for cutting Manningham (which we should do because of his injury) and trading Gore (another move we should actually make or he needs to cut his salary drastically) I took those moves out of the mock.

To self critique I think our safety position needs more addressing, but I am taking a flyer on a guy with some potential who can cover tall TE's. Since we are stuck with Whitner for another year and signing another starting FS anyway I am filling the immediate need but this position group will need more attention.

I do think our CB corps gets very much stronger with Smith added to the group. At least this way we aren't stuck with Culliver getting torched and targeted all the time.

The mock does help our DL significantly, which is where we faltered at the end of last year when Dobbs and Smith went down. Hunt can also add some depth at the OLB position if needed, but adding Collins we now have a much better OLB corps.

Another weakness is depth at the ILB position with Grant leaving. I would love to resign him, but he may have greener pastures. I don't know who to add here but we will have to add someone.
Originally posted by blm7754:
Boone is already locked up long term FYI.

Why are people down on Gore? Sure he's getting older for a RB. But as long as his carries are limited to 15-20 per game, he's a great back. One of the best. He's worth every penny. Now, assuming Hunter comes back strong, we may need Gore's cap hit for resigning A. Davis and Iupati long term after the 2013 season. A great OL is more important than a great RB. So, I'll entertain the idea then.

Cutting Manningham and Goodwin is aggressive IMO. It will only be done if we REALLY need the cap space this year. Manningham could be PUPed until ready. Could be handy in the playoffs. Goodwin is overpriced, but veteran leadership is important on the OL. I think Kilgore could take over, but only if we can't afford to keep him.

We won't go crazy with the contract extensions just yet. So cap space isn't a huge concern yet. Crabtree will probably get an extension. Maybe Brown or Davis. Everybody else can wait.

Old running backs with 2 knee replacements usually don't stick around once they hit 30. He may be the exception, but may want more than we can afford with all our guys contracts coming up
I love the jamie colins pick, his measurables are off the charts
If you're advocating re-signing Sopoaga, then why would you draft Brandon Williams? I'd do the latter and forget the former. Ice isn't the NT he was...but I'd rather draft a couple of "bigs" who can play inside and out. Sylvester Williams would be my first option...great size, quickness and can play anywhere on the DL. I'm not keen on drafting a "pure" NT...instead get a couple of big dudes who can play anywhere. Gives Fangio a lot more flexibility. As for Goldson, unless he's willing to sign for less than he thinks he's worth, I don't see a deal getting done. No problem with your projected releases. I do have a problem w/Seymour...he's a shell of the player he used to be in NE. We could do better by signing one of the younger DL...like Sammie Lee Hill, Jason Jones, Desmond Bryant, Mike DeVito. All these guys have the ability to collapse the pocket and pressure the QB...and have considerably less miles on them than Seymour. I don't like Hunt as our 1st pick...you want somebody who's more of a sure thing than a "freak". He could develop into an impact NFL player...but do you want to spend your 1st rd pick on a "project"? I wouldn't. Schwanke's a good interior OL...but we already have Looney and Kilgore. A swing OT seems to make more sense. No real issues with the rest of your picks.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
If you're advocating re-signing Sopoaga, then why would you draft Brandon Williams? I'd do the latter and forget the former. Ice isn't the NT he was...but I'd rather draft a couple of "bigs" who can play inside and out. Sylvester Williams would be my first option...great size, quickness and can play anywhere on the DL. I'm not keen on drafting a "pure" NT...instead get a couple of big dudes who can play anywhere. Gives Fangio a lot more flexibility. As for Goldson, unless he's willing to sign for less than he thinks he's worth, I don't see a deal getting done. No problem with your projected releases. I do have a problem w/Seymour...he's a shell of the player he used to be in NE. We could do better by signing one of the younger DL...like Sammie Lee Hill, Jason Jones, Desmond Bryant, Mike DeVito. All these guys have the ability to collapse the pocket and pressure the QB...and have considerably less miles on them than Seymour. I don't like Hunt as our 1st pick...you want somebody who's more of a sure thing than a "freak". He could develop into an impact NFL player...but do you want to spend your 1st rd pick on a "project"? I wouldn't. Schwanke's a good interior OL...but we already have Looney and Kilgore. A swing OT seems to make more sense. No real issues with the rest of your picks.

Signing ICE is a depth move and we will need at least two guys that can play the nose. We also don't have a ton of money and I really wouldn't want two rooks playing that spot. I am not married to ICE though, we just need a vet to add that can play that spot...I would be fine with a number of guys.

I don't buy that Seymour is a shell at all. He was hurt last year and the year before he dominated in Oakland.

In my last mock I actually had Killgore or Loony becoming our starting C and I got hammered, so I changed it.

I think Hunt may end up being the best player out of this entire draft, so I love that pick.
I think Hunt may end up being the best player out of this entire draft, so I love that pick.

Just curious what do you see in Hunt that makes you believe he'll be the best player in the draft? Watched his game footage vs TCU - dude went nowhere when trying to overpower the tackles, but I was impressed by some of his swim moves/pressure he got from speed rushing. Still, it wasn't overt to me that he'd be a top 5 player in the draft...and most draftniks have given Hunt a 3rd round grade at best.
First, he has only played football for a few years. He was the best athlete at the combine by far from a pure height, weight, speed, strength perspective. He has obliterated tackles in certain games as well (Pitt, Fresno St.) . He uses his hands very well for a big guy and was used inside as a DT fairly often even though he was way undersized. He also dropped 25 lbs to play 4-3 DE in college, so he can put on that same weight and be a perfect 3-4 DE.

What I see is a guy with brute force at 277 lbs who becomes a freak at 300 lbs. He is crazy strong (38 reps, which tied the most at this combine) and he has above average arm length (33.68) too.

Do you see anyone else more dominant in this draft? Not even Star dominated more.

Regretfully, I think he may go in the 20's to a 3-4 team.
[ Edited by bigwads on Mar 5, 2013 at 5:56 PM ]

How does Hunt have more upside? he's 28 years old! If we draft him, we'll be in this same situation in a few years.
Originally posted by kronik:
How does Hunt have more upside? he's 28 years old! If we draft him, we'll be in this same situation in a few years.

He's 25.
Share 49ersWebzone