LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 236 users in the forums

BigWads Mock Offseason 2013 2.0 (post combine)

Big wad blew his wad prematurely.
No one is saying all those guys get signed long term this off season but they would need to be signed at some point.

I love how this entire thread turned into a Gore issue. Walsh always dumped guys late in their careers like this when he could still get something for them.

It's funny how superficial the zone is.
Originally posted by blm7754:
Boone is already locked up long term FYI.

Why are people down on Gore? Sure he's getting older for a RB. But as long as his carries are limited to 15-20 per game, he's a great back. One of the best. He's worth every penny. Now, assuming Hunter comes back strong, we may need Gore's cap hit for resigning A. Davis and Iupati long term after the 2013 season. A great OL is more important than a great RB. So, I'll entertain the idea then.

Cutting Manningham and Goodwin is aggressive IMO. It will only be done if we REALLY need the cap space this year. Manningham could be PUPed until ready. Could be handy in the playoffs. Goodwin is overpriced, but veteran leadership is important on the OL. I think Kilgore could take over, but only if we can't afford to keep him.

We won't go crazy with the contract extensions just yet. So cap space isn't a huge concern yet. Crabtree will probably get an extension. Maybe Brown or Davis. Everybody else can wait.

Cutting manningham saves like 3.8 million. Boone is locked up through 2015...not exactly long term. He is very young and would love an extension through 2018 at least...wouldn't you?
[ Edited by bigwads on Feb 20, 2013 at 5:03 PM ]
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:

There are SOOO many ways this is bad - no, terrible! Starting from releasing Manningham, and it get progressively worse as you go down the list.

I don't share the sentiments on Manningham. At best he is a #3 on a non-contending team IMO. Although, pre-injury, he had good physicals, his football smarts are VERY suspect. Poor route runner and bad situational awareness. Repeatedly doesn't recognize where the first down sticks are and is imprecise on his long routes. With the uncertainty of how good he will be after injury, I wouldn't mind him gone, myself. However, I wouldn't expect the Niners to cut him.

As expressed several times, cutting Gore is too aggressive. His endurance is diminished for sure, but his instincts at getting the most in tight situations is unparalled. That's too valuable an attribute to be kicked aside. Besides, there's too much uncertainty with the other RBs. For a contender, that's too unintelligent a move to just trade him for equivalent value (3rd rounder). He's also important in the locker room.

All said, I applaud the OPs aggressive, out-of-the-box thinking which is good in many ways.
No way we resign Brock. He'll easily be replaced by draft or FA. Easily.
Originally posted by bigwads:
No one is saying all those guys get signed long term this off season but they would need to be signed at some point.

I love how this entire thread turned into a Gore issue. Walsh always dumped guys late in their careers like this when he could still get something for them.

Yes, but the point is you aren't getting anything for Frank Gore. It's pretty simple...

For us, he's an established 1000+ yard back. For anyone else, he's a 30-year-old back with one or two years left coming into a new situation. Every other team in the league would rather just use the 3rd or 4th rounder to pick a younger, cheaper back.
Originally posted by bigwads:

That was a LONG time ago and it doesn't mean it would work now. Walsh dumped a few guys but it doesnt mean HarBaalke should dump Gore. Different eras.
Thanks - Bigwads - lots of work and I appreciate the time it took.

Pluses and Minuses all over the place and frankly, too many to go into. So, I'll list some that IMO stand out.

Resign: I like resigning Goldson BUT my only misgiving is - How many High-Quality Years do you think he has left? He really doesn't cover receivers that well. That's been on my mind and I'm not sure if we should franchise him for another year and groom his replacement. I really don't know and am throwing that out there for opinions.

Release: Manningham is a real question - not everyone will heal like APeterson and we'll need to get a read on how he's progressing.
Goodwin played VERY well most of the season and I am VERY hopeful that Kilgore/Looney can step in. Kilgore has advatage of being in the system 2 seasons an going into a 3rd. I'm inclined to keep himprimarily as an isurance for injury.
Sorry about that>

Release: Drop kick Akers, and add to the list Harrelson, Dobbs, Tukaufu[sp]

Trades: Took some balls to trade gore and I don't agree with it. We would lose more tan we'd gain. He has injury history, 30+ years and lOTS of miles on him. He'll do VERY god with us but we couldn't getequitable value for him.

Draft: Disagree with 2 CB w/first 2 pick. Our real need is DL and that's where we, IMO, must focus. IMO, we need 3 DL pick ups in combination of fA and draft. I'd use the first 2 picks, depending who's available, on DL. If someone "Outstanding" is there when we select then we get the Very Best Available.

You have some very good picks - I really like Poyer, Da'Rick Rodgers, Hopkins. But 3 CB will not address our deep need on the DL.

Thanks again for all the work.

I was about to stop reading at releasing Manningham, and then I officially stopped reading at trading Gore.
WOW

[ Edited by DRUSTOPO on Feb 20, 2013 at 10:47 AM ]
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:
WOW

Lol, one of the best scenes of all time.
If the Niners where 4-12, with little hope of going to the play offs next season, then your off season moves make sense. If the team has a high probability to go to the play offs and go deep into the play offs, your off season sucks.

The window is small, as Justin Smith stated to the team. 2013 the teams window is still open, keep Gore and Goodwin for continuity.
I think a lot of zoners are having some separation anxiety. You can't get caught up on one guy you think we should keep whether it be Goodwin, Gore, Manningham etc. I like all these players and would love to keep all of them, but the problem is WE CAN'T AFFORD IT. It's funny that I am speaking mostly to people in California that's going bankrupt because everyone wants their cake and to eat it too.

Those three guys above equate to roughly 15 to 20 million dollars of cap room for next year alone. Manningham may play 6 games and be ready for the playoffs, but is that worth 5 mill? Goodwin is a great player, but not a dominate one and he accounts for roughly 5 million next year. Gore is obviously a great player, great leader, great locker room guy and great producer, but are you really saying that much or all of his production can't come from Hunter, Taylor and James? Get real.

We are at a fork in the road where we can keep holding on to guys and hope we can sign guys later or we can be proactive about it and start signing guys for our long term goals. This is where we are and some difficult choices need to be made.

By freeing up cap room we give us room to sign guys that need to be signed long term, and if we do it now we can get them at a discount by rolling signing bonus money into this year's cap because we are making room for them. If we don't do this we will be delaying signing guys long term and lose out on our discounts and locking guys for the next five years.

If you really want us to have a dynasty that lasts, you MUST be proactive about it and IMO we get the best bang for the buck by releasing and trading the guys I mentioned. If you don't like the guys I mentioned then name your replacement, but either way if our roster is to endure with our OL and OLB corps as the heart of the team you are going to have to lose guys that we have loved for years.

It's a business people, act like it. IMO we have to look to the future and make the tough choices now that may hurt in the short term but make us a powerhouse for the next 5-10 years.

If you don't like the specific guys I mentioned then just substitute who you think is a better guy to release. For one, I really wanted to add Carlos Rogers to that list of players being released, but I think the time to cut him is after this next season due to his cap structure. Cutting Gore and Goodwin have no cap consequences and cutting Manningham only dings us a million but gives us 3.5. On Rogers, if I remember right we take a cap hit of like 4 million or something, which was too high and I would like him around to tutor up Poyer and Amerson.

I think there is like one comment on the draft...wtf...that is a damn good draft.
[ Edited by bigwads on Feb 20, 2013 at 1:04 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone