LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 215 users in the forums

my reworked pre-combine draft.

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 5280High:
Over 32,000 receiving yards for Austin, that's gotta be some kind of a record ;-)

Jokes aside, I wouldn't be surprised if we really went after WRs in this draft. But as much as Austin would be great to have, I don't think we are gonna be going small at the position. Guys like Quinton Patton sp? Or if Allen or Patterson somehow slip, it would be a perfect fit. Had we gone with a guy like Hill or Randle last year then Austin would be a great compliment but since we didn't there is no way we go small to grab a 3rd slot receiver. Also don't see Sylvester dropping that far either.

But I like your thinking with grabbing a top guy at a position other than DL. If the choice is the #4/5 DL compared to the other guys rated top 3 at their position like TE, CB or WR I'm all for the latter.

What a record, huh. The kid is short but boy can he play.
Over 32,000 receiving yards is incrediable.
Maybe, it was because he is so short nobody can see him.

Thanks. I corrected the numbers.
If we get that for Smith I'll poop myself!
Originally posted by buck:
This is a rework of a previous mock that I did. People raised good questions about and criticisms of that mock. .
This is my attempt to respond to the feedback, I got.

Off Season moves

Re-Sign: Dashon Goldson, Ricky Jean-Francois, Delanie Walker, and Larry Grant

Lost Free Agents: Ted Ginn, Leonard Davis, Randy Moss, Brandon Jacobs and Isaac Sopoaga

Cuts: Parys Haralson (2.57 M), David Akers (3 M) Alex Smith—trade (6.5 M)

Trade #1: pre-draft day trade.

SF trades Alex Smith and our fourth round pick to the KC for their 2nd round pick--#34.
KC gets a quarterback and a much needed draft pick.
SF, in essence, exchanges a low fourth round pick for a high second round pick.

Trade #2

Trade our 5th and two 6ths (about 65.8 points) to Chicago for their 4th (about 66 points)
We regain a fourth round pick and end up with five picks in the first 100.

Free Agency:

Sign Richard Seymour to a two year, team friendly contract with good incentives.
He provides immediate relief for Justin Smith and Ray McDonald and will be a leader in the locker room.

Draft:

1st 31 SF Tavon Austin WR West Virginia 5-09 175

Austin is an explosive play maker capable of taking it the house at any time and from anywhere on the field.
He is quick, fast, elusive, and durable. He did not miss a game in his college career.
In 39 games, he had 993 rushing yards, 3,260 receiving yards, 431 punt return yards, and 1,981 kick off return yards.
edit: sorry, I had the numbers jumbled.

2nd 35 KC Brandon Williams DT Missouri Southern St 6-2 340

Williams is strong, relentless, hardworking and capable of collapsing the pocket, disrupting the passer, and getting sacks.
He was D2 defensive player of the ear in 2012.
He had 8.5 sacks, 16.5 tackles for a loss, and 68 tackles. He did well at the Senior Bowl.

2nd 61 SF *Justin Hunter WR Tennessee 6-4 200

Hunter has good size and decent speed, but most importantly he is a clutch receiver.
He led the FBS in "clutch reception percentage" in 2012. 76.7% of his 73 catches going for a first down or touchdown.

3rd 74 CAR Darius Slay CB Mississippi St 6-1 190

Slay, a solid corner with good size and good ball skills, had five picks and 6 passes defended last year.

3rd 93 SF Sylvester Williams DE North Carolina 6-3 312

Williams, a defensive tackle with first round skills drops into the third, because his motor runs on five cylinders. He was not in good shape when he arrived at the Senior Bowl. He is the perfect candidate to serve as an apprentice under Justin Smith and Richard Seymour. Last year, he had 6 sacks and 13.5 tackles for a loss.

4th ?? CHI David Bass OLB Missouri Western 6-3 262

The team desperately needs solid back-ups for Aldon Smith and Ahmad Brooks. Bass is one. In his four year college career, Bass had 39.5 sacks and 56 tackles for a loss.

5TH ?? IND Dustin Hopkins K Florida St 6-2 190

We need a replacement for Akers, and Hopkins is the best kicker in the draft.

7th ?? CIN Manase Foketi OT West Texas A&M 6-5 320

Foketi is a small school product with starter potential. We need a swing tackle.

7th ?? SF Armonty Bryant OLB East Central U 6-4 250

Bryant will be our second back-up at OLB. In three years, he had 26.5 sacks and 48.5 tackles for a loss.
He has had legal problems, but when I checked it out his felonious distribution charge, I discovered it was for selling $20 worth of pot.
His college coach supported him and welcomed him back to the team.

UDFA:

1. Jared Smith DT New Hampshire 6-3 302
2. Quanterus Smith OLB Western Kentucky 6-5 250
3. Sean Renfree QB Duke 6-4 225

Quanterus Smith is a starting quality player, but he blew out his knee at the end of the year. He will be the combine for interviews and the medical.

I admit, I would much rather go defensive line with the first pick, but you provided a good justification with drafting Tavon Austin. It reminds me of 2008 when we passed on an absolute burner at WR (Desean Jackson) for a defensive lineman who shall be unnamed.

The only difference is I would pick up another DB (preferably safety) with one of those picks used on an OLB. We already have Cam Johnson and Darius Fleming on the roster to provide some depth at OLB.

I also see us having an absolute logjam at receiver. Michael Crabtree, Justin Hunter, Tavon Austin, AJ Jenkins, Mario Manningham, and Kyle Williams. Maybe we get a big bodied TE as opposed to a big bodied receiver in the 2nd?
I really like this offseason plan the most. Of course there are a few things I'd change but hey, we aren't all perfect right? I wouldn't mind taking Elam or Cyprien instead of Austin in the 1st and then picking up Hunter or Patton around when you had us getting Hunter. We can always sign a WR in FA as well, no need to draft them all. But, I will give you props for this because it seems very well thought out. I too will poop myself if we get that for Smith.
If the draft goes like that, I will kiss you.
One of the top DE's wont be falling to 31. We could go safety there but Austin has better value, he's the best playmaker in the draft. I'd be fine with cutting Manningham if we got him so there's more chances for him. He'll be an even more explosive Steve Smith. I also love Justin Hunter, I think he's the best overall wide receiver in the draft.
Brandon Williams and Sylvester Williams would both be starting for us in the next three years and would add lots of size, strength, and pass rush to the front line.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by EezyNiner:
I really like this offseason plan the most. Of course there are a few things I'd change but hey, we aren't all perfect right? I wouldn't mind taking Elam or Cyprien instead of Austin in the 1st and then picking up Hunter or Patton around when you had us getting Hunter. We can always sign a WR in FA as well, no need to draft them all. But, I will give you props for this because it seems very well thought out. I too will poop myself if we get that for Smith.

Thank you.

This mock is, from my point of view, a work in progress. We still have the combine and pro days. Comp picks have not been assigned.
Free Agency is still looming. We still have to see if an Alex Smith trade actually happens in the real world of the NFL.
And people's comments and criticisms force me to re-examine my perspective and my assumptions.

This mock will change.

If we do not reach a deal with Dashon Goldson, Jonathan Cyprien and Matt Elam immediately become persons of interest.
They are listed as a SS, but both with 9 passes defended--4 picks and 5 passes broken--seem to have the ball skills to play free safety.
[ Edited by buck on Feb 19, 2013 at 9:07 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I admit, I would much rather go defensive line with the first pick, but you provided a good justification with drafting Tavon Austin. It reminds me of 2008 when we passed on an absolute burner at WR (Desean Jackson) for a defensive lineman who shall be unnamed.

The only difference is I would pick up another DB (preferably safety) with one of those picks used on an OLB. We already have Cam Johnson and Darius Fleming on the roster to provide some depth at OLB.

I also see us having an absolute logjam at receiver. Michael Crabtree, Justin Hunter, Tavon Austin, AJ Jenkins, Mario Manningham, and Kyle Williams. Maybe we get a big bodied TE as opposed to a big bodied receiver in the 2nd?

You could be right about adding a TE. I thought long and hard about taking Ertz, maybe Eifert, in the first or Kelce in the second or third.

Our defense makes team one dimensional. Now, we have to take away that dimension away from the opponent.
The best way to do that is take time and space away from the opponents QB.
Each of the front seven players in the mock excelled in playing in the opponents backfield.
Sacks and tackles for loss marked their game. They disrupted the opponents offensive.

Offensively, our passing game needs help. Look carefully at the receivers we have on the team.

If we are going to say that we have a logjam at wide receiver, we should also realize that in the timber industry a logjam is not good, and can be dangerous.
Logjams need to cleared, so that the logs can flow down the river.

Crabtree showed us that he can be a number #1 receiver. Before his injury, Manningham was having a decent, but only decent, year.
Kyle Williams was not as good as Manningham. A.J. Jenkins did nothing.

In my estimation, Crabtree is the only wide receiver that we have whose spot on the team is guaranteed.

Bringing in one wide receiver clearly is not sufficient.

Given the key players who will need to be extended in the next two years, I would be hesitant to spend big money on a free agent wide receiver.

I really think that we really need to draft two wide receivers.
Let them compete, and cut those who do not prove their value, or to continue the analogy, we need to clear the logjam.

But, then that just is what I think.
[ Edited by buck on Feb 19, 2013 at 10:20 PM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BadgerHawk:
If we get that for Smith I'll poop myself!

LOL. Stinky.
would be an epic draft. Sly isn't going to drop that far though. I'm worried K.C. might look for Kolb at a cheaper price.
Originally posted by NTeply49:
would be an epic draft. Sly isn't going to drop that far though. I'm worried K.C. might look for Kolb at a cheaper price.

Cardinals aren't give up Kolb....plus have you seen what his contract numbers look like? He'll be around the $12 million dollar range for the next few seasons.

Originally posted by captain_planet:
I'll be stunned if Sylvester Williams falls to 93.
I like the Brandon Williams pick.
Personally I think if we keep the #31 pick we'll take whichever available DL we like the best.
It's too big of a need not to address as a primary concern.

Sly is not dropping to the 3rd round no way in hell. I'm a big UNC fan and it just won't happen, tons of talent and potential
Buck,

Just a piece of constrictive.criticism. I think cutting Manningham would be a bad idea. I expect Moss, Ginn Jr, and Kyle Williams to not be withthe team next season. We have two players coming off severe injuries in Manningham and Williams. The only definite options we have are Crabtree and AJ Jenkins. We don't know how Jenkins is going to produce hopefully he just needed a redshirt.But lets say Austin and Hunters need a year too. Were essentially losing 2 trusted recivers and your cutting another albeit he was severely injured I think it would be risky to rely on short slot.reciver and a lanky deep threat in their first year. Manningham was putting up numbers before the injury and even if Austin, Jenkins, and hunter produce next year were still going to need him. Maybe we get another veteran for cheap in FA.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by matt49er:
Sly is not dropping to the 3rd round no way in hell. I'm a big UNC fan and it just won't happen, tons of talent and potential

Do you think that Sly would be a good pick in the first?

I vacillate with this guy and where he should be drafted.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by eonblue:
Buck,

Just a piece of constrictive.criticism. I think cutting Manningham would be a bad idea. I expect Moss, Ginn Jr, and Kyle Williams to not be withthe team next season. We have two players coming off severe injuries in Manningham and Williams. The only definite options we have are Crabtree and AJ Jenkins. We don't know how Jenkins is going to produce hopefully he just needed a redshirt.But lets say Austin and Hunters need a year too. Were essentially losing 2 trusted recivers and your cutting another albeit he was severely injured I think it would be risky to rely on short slot.reciver and a lanky deep threat in their first year. Manningham was putting up numbers before the injury and even if Austin, Jenkins, and hunter produce next year were still going to need him. Maybe we get another veteran for cheap in FA.

Maybe, I was not very clear.

I do not think that we should cut Manningham. In fact, I am not advocating that we cut any specific receiver.

I would assume that he makes the team, if he recovers in a timely manner.
i like your offseason and trades but thumbs down on the draft picks
Share 49ersWebzone