LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 263 users in the forums

my reworked pre-combine draft.

• buck
  • Veteran
This is a rework of a previous mock that I did. People raised good questions about and criticisms of that mock. .
This is my attempt to respond to the feedback, I got.

Off Season moves

Re-Sign: Dashon Goldson, Ricky Jean-Francois, Delanie Walker, and Larry Grant

Lost Free Agents: Ted Ginn, Leonard Davis, Randy Moss, Brandon Jacobs and Isaac Sopoaga

Cuts: Parys Haralson (2.57 M), David Akers (3 M) Alex Smith—trade (6.5 M)

Trade #1: pre-draft day trade.

SF trades Alex Smith and our fourth round pick to the KC for their 2nd round pick--#34.
KC gets a quarterback and a much needed draft pick.
SF, in essence, exchanges a low fourth round pick for a high second round pick.

Trade #2

Trade our 5th and two 6ths (about 65.8 points) to Chicago for their 4th (about 66 points)
We regain a fourth round pick and end up with five picks in the first 100.

Free Agency:

Sign Richard Seymour to a two year, team friendly contract with good incentives.
He provides immediate relief for Justin Smith and Ray McDonald and will be a leader in the locker room.

Draft:

1st 31 SF Tavon Austin WR West Virginia 5-09 175

Austin is an explosive play maker capable of taking it the house at any time and from anywhere on the field.
He is quick, fast, elusive, and durable. He did not miss a game in his college career.
In 39 games, he had 993 rushing yards, 3,260 receiving yards, 431 punt return yards, and 1,981 kick off return yards.
edit: sorry, I had the numbers jumbled.

2nd 35 KC Brandon Williams DT Missouri Southern St 6-2 340

Williams is strong, relentless, hardworking and capable of collapsing the pocket, disrupting the passer, and getting sacks.
He was D2 defensive player of the ear in 2012.
He had 8.5 sacks, 16.5 tackles for a loss, and 68 tackles. He did well at the Senior Bowl.

2nd 61 SF *Justin Hunter WR Tennessee 6-4 200

Hunter has good size and decent speed, but most importantly he is a clutch receiver.
He led the FBS in "clutch reception percentage" in 2012. 76.7% of his 73 catches going for a first down or touchdown.

3rd 74 CAR Darius Slay CB Mississippi St 6-1 190

Slay, a solid corner with good size and good ball skills, had five picks and 6 passes defended last year.

3rd 93 SF Sylvester Williams DE North Carolina 6-3 312

Williams, a defensive tackle with first round skills drops into the third, because his motor runs on five cylinders. He was not in good shape when he arrived at the Senior Bowl. He is the perfect candidate to serve as an apprentice under Justin Smith and Richard Seymour. Last year, he had 6 sacks and 13.5 tackles for a loss.

4th ?? CHI David Bass OLB Missouri Western 6-3 262

The team desperately needs solid back-ups for Aldon Smith and Ahmad Brooks. Bass is one. In his four year college career, Bass had 39.5 sacks and 56 tackles for a loss.

5TH ?? IND Dustin Hopkins K Florida St 6-2 190

We need a replacement for Akers, and Hopkins is the best kicker in the draft.

7th ?? CIN Manase Foketi OT West Texas A&M 6-5 320

Foketi is a small school product with starter potential. We need a swing tackle.

7th ?? SF Armonty Bryant OLB East Central U 6-4 250

Bryant will be our second back-up at OLB. In three years, he had 26.5 sacks and 48.5 tackles for a loss.
He has had legal problems, but when I checked it out his felonious distribution charge, I discovered it was for selling $20 worth of pot.
His college coach supported him and welcomed him back to the team.

UDFA:

1. Jared Smith DT New Hampshire 6-3 302
2. Quanterus Smith OLB Western Kentucky 6-5 250
3. Sean Renfree QB Duke 6-4 225

Quanterus Smith is a starting quality player, but he blew out his knee at the end of the year. He will be the combine for interviews and the medical.
[ Edited by buck on Feb 19, 2013 at 5:18 PM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I like your Justin Hunter pick.
I hope we draft David Bass
I like this draft the most of any I've seen.
I'll be stunned if Sylvester Williams falls to 93.
I like the Brandon Williams pick.
Personally I think if we keep the #31 pick we'll take whichever available DL we like the best.
It's too big of a need not to address as a primary concern.
Not happy with 2 WR's in the first 3 picks, I think you pass up on a lot of talent at DL, S and CB that way.
Very good draft
I liked the draft, could use some more CBs, SS, FS, Centers in free agency. I liked Tavon Austin as a WR and PR so two birds with one stone. I don't see a need to trade a draft pick with Smith, in fact I think it might be the other way around. 2nd and 4th for Smith. Who ever trades for Smith is going to get the equivalent of a 1st round pick and a proven pick at that.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by captain_planet:
I'll be stunned if Sylvester Williams falls to 93.
I like the Brandon Williams pick.
Personally I think if we keep the #31 pick we'll take whichever available DL we like the best.
It's too big of a need not to address as a primary concern.

Brandon Williams meets one need on the defensive line--nose tackle.

The other need is at DE, but we will have two starters at that position.
Adding Richard Seymour in free agency provides an immediate rotational player and a quality emergency starter.

I do not see an outstanding DE falling to us at 31.
If one does, good, but we need to realize that first round pick will only be, we hope, be a rotational player next year.

Williams could go in the first round, but his lack of drive hurts him. He had time to get in shape for the Senior Bowl, and did not do it.
[ Edited by buck on Feb 19, 2013 at 4:19 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
I liked the draft, could use some more CBs, SS, FS, Centers in free agency. I liked Tavon Austin as a WR and PR so two birds with one stone. I don't see a need to trade a draft pick with Smith, in fact I think it might be the other way around. 2nd and 4th for Smith. Who ever trades for Smith is going to get the equivalent of a 1st round pick and a proven pick at that.

I am less optimistic. I hope you are right.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Not happy with 2 WR's in the first 3 picks, I think you pass up on a lot of talent at DL, S and CB that way.

Exactly. You also didn't draft a center or a safety. Whitner is out of contract next season. He's not getting resigned. Goodwins contract is up next season too. We have to plan ahead for these things instead of having to pay big on the market for a legit replacement. We have a big contract year coming up 2014 and we can't afford it. I love thr Hunter pick. Hes my most favorite receiver his draft but the 1st pick should be the top safety or dline prospect. You also drafted 2 olbs and one of them should be a center. I like tavon Austin hes going to be a star slot guy and is a great kr. He would be a great value pick but i just don't think he's worth our 1st. Just my opinion so don't take it to seriously.
Not a fan of drafting another small WR in round one. Maybe DB or dline.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:

I think the Chiefs will give up something decent for Alex, but it likely won't be two valuable picks like a high 2nd and high 4th in the same year. Plus, it might make more sense anyway to split up the acquired picks given how many we have this year....say a 2nd in this draft and a 3rd in 2014.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by eonblue:
Exactly. You also didn't draft a center or a safety. Whitner is out of contract next season. He's not getting resigned. Goodwins contract is up next season too. We have to plan ahead for these things instead of having to pay big on the market for a legit replacement. We have a big contract year coming up 2014 and we can't afford it. I love thr Hunter pick. Hes my most favorite receiver his draft but the 1st pick should be the top safety or dline prospect. You also drafted 2 olbs and one of them should be a center. I like tavon Austin hes going to be a star slot guy and is a great kr. He would be a great value pick but i just don't think he's worth our 1st. Just my opinion so don't take it to seriously.

My sense is that Kilgore is the designated replacement for Goodwin.

The defensive line help that we need next year is at nose tackle and defensive end.

The only nose tackle under contract is Ian Williams. We have two starters at DE. I drafted a nose tackle in the second.
If I we could draft a high quality DE, such as Sharrif Floyd or Sheldon Richardson, in the first, I would do that. But, they are not going to be there.
It looks like Datone Jones might be available around pick #20, but that means trading up and the cost would be high--almost our second round.
I do not know if we want to pay that cost for that will primarily be a rotational player next year.
And if Datone has a good combine, and I suspect that he will, he will rise further up the board, and the cost will increase exponentially.

To make it clear. I am not opposed to drafting a high quality DE in the first, I just can not figure out who that player is.

If we do not re-sign Goldson, we will need a safety immediately, but if we do drafting a safety is protection for the future.

I guess I am willing to wait for a safety, or change one of my lower picks, but I am not in favor of drafting a safety in the first this year.

But, I have been wrong before.

Which safety would you recommend that we draft in the first?

Over 32,000 receiving yards for Austin, that's gotta be some kind of a record ;-)

Jokes aside, I wouldn't be surprised if we really went after WRs in this draft. But as much as Austin would be great to have, I don't think we are gonna be going small at the position. Guys like Quinton Patton sp? Or if Allen or Patterson somehow slip, it would be a perfect fit. Had we gone with a guy like Hill or Randle last year then Austin would be a great compliment but since we didn't there is no way we go small to grab a 3rd slot receiver. Also don't see Sylvester dropping that far either.

But I like your thinking with grabbing a top guy at a position other than DL. If the choice is the #4/5 DL compared to the other guys rated top 3 at their position like TE, CB or WR I'm all for the latter.
Share 49ersWebzone