There are 219 users in the forums

Out of Left Field Mock (Pre-Combine)

Predicting what Baalke&Co. do is near impossible. They are "outside the box" thinkers, and see things we just do not see. So I'm just having a little fun and going the road less traveled with the players I pick.

*I don't do trades in mocks (Although I do not believe we will keep all our picks).

Rd.1 CB Logan Ryan (Rutgers) - Rutgers version of "Revis Island". Good man coverage, aggressive in both the passing game and coming up in run support. Speed is his biggest knock, but if he runs well at the combine, he'll put all that criticism behind him.

Rd.2 DE William Gholston (Michigan St.) - Physical freak that needs coached up (sound familiar). Has the physical tools to be a very good 3-4 DE. Needs to learn more passing rushing moves to be more effective, but Justin Smith and Ray McDonald can give them tips of the trade.

Rd.3 via Carolina OLB Tank Carradine (FSU) - Baalke loves to draft on potential. And this kid is a 1st round talent, that fell do to an ACL tear. But if he comes back to 100%, he's be a steal and could spell Aldon and Ahmad.

Rd.3 SS JJ Wilcox (Georgia Southern) - Another potential pick. Just learning the position, but showed at the Senior Bowl that he can play with big boys. Good man coverage, adept as an open field tackler, showed he has good instincts also.

Rd.4 WR Ace Sanders (South Carolina) - our new "sparkplug" for our offense. Mr.Slot, Mr.Dynamic Returner, Mr.Excitement. If you haven't wanted him play, go to youtube, look up some highlights.....thank me later. He's a toy that Harbaugh and Roman can use in some cool ways. Size is a major knock though. Those mad at picking a guy who may be just a returner, think of it like this.....we gave up a 5th for Ginn. Why not use a 4th on a guy who's probably a better KR/PR?

Rd.5 via Indy QB Matt Scott (Arizona) - Generic version of Colin. Good speed, good accuracy. Would make a really good backup and project for Harbaugh.

Rd.5 TE Levine Toilolo (Stanford) - Lets be honest, those of you that think we will just get rid of Delanie cause we all dislike him, are mistaken. He's to good of a blocker and plays to big of a role in the offense for Harbaugh/Baalke just to get rid of him. He's Jim's "swiss army knife". Toilolo gives us a big target, good receiving TE that will be a nightmare for teams to defend as a 3rd TE.

Rd.6 via Miami WR Marcus Davis (Virginia Tech) - Big target WR. Has deceptive speed and gets up to full speed quickly. Needs to learn to get better separation, but very good at going up for the ball in the air.

Rd.6 K Dustin Hopkins (FSU) - He's a kicker.

Rd.7 via Cincy CB Josh Johnson (Purdue) - Smooth CB that is a violent tackler. Good at locating ball and batting it down. Lacks great speed, but he's a competitor that will not back down from anyone or any challenge. Would be a great ST CB, or at least a great PS guy.

Rd.7 OT Elvis Fisher (Missouri) - Big project OT, that couldn't stay on the field do to injuries.
[ Edited by Travisty13 on Feb 19, 2013 at 4:12 AM ]
That looks like a pretty solid draft to me. Yeah I never know who in the blue hell Baalke and Harbaugh will go after. They never seem to get the guys I want.

For all I know they'll end up drafting Ronald Mcdonald in the 1st round and Grimace in the 2nd and we'll all be like wtf?? Those were some terrible picks!
And then Ronald Mcdonald and Grimace will end up becoming All Pros and we'll all be like damn those were some great picks!
I love the Gholston pick. Michigan played him as an.edge.rusher but i think if he was just attacking the gap b between guard and tackle he could be a force. His long arms just push off blocks. He can swat balls straight out of the air. Justin smith could develop him into a beast. I think this is the kinda guy we need. A raw product with a high ceiling that can take over in a couple of years. Tank could potential rush opposite Aldon. That would be feirce. Also could rotate with.him and Ahmad. Another great pick. I would love that pick.
Good Job, dude. Diggin' this draft.
Very solid mock, a stretch for the 1st round pick, but then again I never saw Aldon or AJ as the 9ers round 1 pick.

I love the QB from AZ. I would pick the best kicker in the draft sooner than round 6. It could potentially be a game changer, and the team needs game changers. Round 4 or 5 for kicker.

I also am a Levine Toliolo fan. Would prefer Ertz, but I am starting to think your top pick should not be for a back up TE. (then again Walker was on the field for 57% of the offensive plays.)

My only change would be

1. round 1. Kenny Vacaro Safety from texas,
Logan Ryan could be a stretch at #1 but after the Combine many opinions will change. I really like Kenny Vacaro, he could turn into the Kaep of the defense.
A lot of Raw guys...but I like them all, so its hard to get too down on you for that. The only thing I can say is we will have to address D-line in free agency a little bit with your draft. Not that thats a bad thing, as many are pushing for a Reciever that will cost a lot more. Going to need a Nose tackle or two.
Too high for Gholston, but I like his potential too. You make a good point about how he may have been misused at MSU.
Originally posted by 9erred:
Very solid mock, a stretch for the 1st round pick, but then again I never saw Aldon or AJ as the 9ers round 1 pick.

I love the QB from AZ. I would pick the best kicker in the draft sooner than round 6. It could potentially be a game changer, and the team needs game changers. Round 4 or 5 for kicker.

I also am a Levine Toliolo fan. Would prefer Ertz, but I am starting to think your top pick should not be for a back up TE. (then again Walker was on the field for 57% of the offensive plays.)

My only change would be

1. round 1. Kenny Vacaro Safety from texas,

Kenny Vaccaro, by all indications, isn't going to be there at 31.
I like it. Addresses needs without reaching too far

I like the early defensive focus.... it's time to start thinking about restocking the unit that got us to where we are. I really like the Ryan and Gholston picks.

However, I don't like that our offensive needs are not being addressed until the late rounds. Sanders could help our return game, but not likely to help out at WR much. I'd like to see those 2 3rd round picks used on a big WR and a TE (or maybe an OT if we resign Walker). Or use them both to trade up into the 2nd and get a more talented WR prospect.

I also don't think we should waste a pick on a QB. We have two young QBs in Kaep and Tolzien. It would be nice to find a veteran backup to add to the mix. No need to use a draft pick on a weak QB class. Perhaps a FS with good coverage skills would be a good pick here instead.
Solid. Would be happy.
Really into this draft. I don't think the value is always there, but really like the players you take
Solid mock. I like the Sanders, Scott, and Toilolo picks. Hopefully we can get Walker resigned and get Toilolo. If we can get Johnson in round 7 then that would be great, as I've seen some big boards having him go in round 6.
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Trying to figure out what Baalke would do is near impossible. I was just trying the mock out as just a different view on a mock. I mainly wanted to go with some guys that are potential filled and might be consider somewhat of a semi-"reach" at our draft position (seems we always go with guys that experts think is to early and that need coached up).

While FA will surely affect how the draft plays out, predicting what Baalke will do there, is again, near impossible. I'm not a Delanie fan, but I can see us re-signing him. He's an important cog in our offense in Harbaugh's eyes. I also see us re-signing either RJF or Soap and I believe they see something in Ian Williams, so NT wasn't a huge necessity for my draft.

Those are just some of the thoughts I had when making this. Thank you all again for the feedback. I may just have to make another one, a little before the draft, once draft positions become somewhat solidified.
Share 49ersWebzone