There are 116 users in the forums

Out of Left Field Mock (Pre-Combine)

Logan Ryan is a reach in the 1st and William Gholston is a major reach in the 2nd.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Logan Ryan is a reach in the 1st and William Gholston is a major reach in the 2nd.

Just like Aldon, Culliver, AJ Jenkins, etc. all were considered reaches. Baalke doesn't care what "experts" think players should be drafted. You, Kiper, and Mayock might all think they are reaches. But history shows Baalke will go with whatever player he wants at any point in the draft.
Originally posted by Travisty13:

Just like Aldon, Culliver, AJ Jenkins, etc. all were considered reaches. Baalke doesn't care what "experts" think players should be drafted. You, Kiper, and Mayock might all think they are reaches. But history shows Baalke will go with whatever player he wants at any point in the draft.
I challenge you find anywhere where I stated any of them were reaches.

Not quite sure why you have the rolling your eyes smiley. But anyways, that was not my point. My point was Baalke doesn't care what people think are reaches. He gets the guys he wants. Furthermore saying a guy is a reach pre-combine and pro-days isn't very accurate. Guys move up and down all offseason season prior to the draft. Ryan is considered a 1-2 round fringe guy (similar to Jenkins last year). Gholston is considered a 3rd round guy. Who's to say he'd be at our picks in the 3rd? We have a late 2nd (pretty much the same as an early 3rd). If Baalke thinks he'll be gone by our 3rd (and had a 2nd round grade on him), do you really think he wouldn't pick him?
What makes you think Goldston is a teach? In a super deep DE casas he isn't that impressive. Very raw and i could see him slipping to the 3rd rd.
Originally posted by Travisty13:

Not quite sure why you have the rolling your eyes smiley. But anyways, that was not my point. My point was Baalke doesn't care what people think are reaches. He gets the guys he wants. Furthermore saying a guy is a reach pre-combine and pro-days isn't very accurate. Guys move up and down all offseason season prior to the draft. Ryan is considered a 1-2 round fringe guy (similar to Jenkins last year). Gholston is considered a 3rd round guy. Who's to say he'd be at our picks in the 3rd? We have a late 2nd (pretty much the same as an early 3rd). If Baalke thinks he'll be gone by our 3rd (and had a 2nd round grade on him), do you really think he wouldn't pick him?
First, I was responding to a mock done by you, not Trent Baalke. I would imagine that Trent couldn't give a rats ass about how we felt about his draft picks. Second, you are right, it isn't accurate to say anyone is a reach pre-combine. But you know what? So is your mock, and everyone else mock, and mines as well when I release it after the combine. Until players are pick all of this mock draft talk is just conjecture, fun stuff for us the fans chew on and fill our time until the season comes around. So, 3rd, when you put your mock out there expect it to be scrutinized, just as I expect mines to be.

Now, most scouting sites I've visited have Ryan as an early to mid 2nd, to no later than mid 3rd. I haven't seen many with him going in the 1st, yet. If he has a stellar combine he'll be a 1st round no brainer.Gholson, on the other hand, is all over the place, for many reasons. But the highest I seen him projected is mid/late 3rd, most have him between early to late 4th and early 5th.

Bottom line, I'm on the wagon of any guy Baalke and JH drafts. Until then imma have fun with this mock stuff like I do every year
I do like the draft, it is solid. I would find a good partner and trade way up, I would look for an established loser like cleveland or dallas they always make stupid trades. We exchange 1st round picks and give them a 3rd and 4th, and a draft pick I would go after CB Xavier Rhodes or FS Eric Reed.
i love Logan Ryan but 31 is too early for him. He could be there at the late 2nd
Originally posted by eonblue:
What makes you think Goldston is a teach? In a super deep DE casas he isn't that impressive. Very raw and i could see him slipping to the 3rd rd.

Supposedly he has superior teaching skills
I'd be pretty happy.

Very good off the wall picks.
While I agree we need some secondary help, for me, it all starts up front and your mock doesn't really address the one area I think we need the most improvement. Not a fan of Gholston because I don't see him being able to deal with the huge OL he'd face on a regular basis. I'd pick a couple from the Williams' (Jesse & Sylvester), Hankins, Jenkins, Floyd, Richardson, et al, because they have the size, strength and versatility to play anywhere on the DL. I don't think we need another "pure" NT...I know you didn't list one, but in general, I believe we need guys who can play inside and out and not tie up a roster spot with a guy who can only play NT or DE. I do like your QB, WR, and TE picks. If Baalke comes away with 2 DL "bigs", a top CB, S, OLB, TE, WR and QB I'd call it a great draft. In the end, I think quality's more important than quantity. With 15 picks, no reason not to "go for the gold".
I really like the Scott, Toilolo, Davis, and Hopkins picks. Even if we bring Walker back(which I hope we do) a player of Levine's size could fit nicely and be a wonderful redzone player.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
While I agree we need some secondary help, for me, it all starts up front and your mock doesn't really address the one area I think we need the most improvement. Not a fan of Gholston because I don't see him being able to deal with the huge OL he'd face on a regular basis. I'd pick a couple from the Williams' (Jesse & Sylvester), Hankins, Jenkins, Floyd, Richardson, et al, because they have the size, strength and versatility to play anywhere on the DL. I don't think we need another "pure" NT...I know you didn't list one, but in general, I believe we need guys who can play inside and out and not tie up a roster spot with a guy who can only play NT or DE. I do like your QB, WR, and TE picks. If Baalke comes away with 2 DL "bigs", a top CB, S, OLB, TE, WR and QB I'd call it a great draft. In the end, I think quality's more important than quantity. With 15 picks, no reason not to "go for the gold".

My thoughts on the DL, well specifically NT, is that the Niners will make RJF a priority and there's a reason Ian Williams has been on the 53 man roster and not justa ppractice squad player. They see something in Williams that's to valuable to take a chance another team steals him. I think they view RFJ/Williams as good NTs and we won't need to target one. That's where Gholston comes in. Gives him time to sit behind Justin and learn and rotate in. That's just my thinking behind this mock. Pure speculation though. I could be way off base.
Share 49ersWebzone