LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 335 users in the forums

Pre-Combine mock offseason

Re-sign- Dashon Goldson 5yrs, Delanie Walker 3yrs, Issac Sopoaga 1 yr
Lost: RJF, Randy Moss, Ted Ginn
Cut: Donte Whitner (gave up more TD's than any safety), David Akers
Trade: Alex Smith and our 5th (#157) to the KC Chiefs for a 2013 3rd round pick (63rd overall)
Sign: FS- Charles Woodson 1 yr, 4M, QB- Josh Johnson 1 yr, 800k and K- Phil Dawson 3 yr, 6M
Extend: Tarell Brown 5 yrs

Draft:

We need to get some re-inforcements for the D-line ASAP. I think this is Cowboy's last season. And I have Issac signed for only 1 more season as well. We also need to find a few WR's with Manningham and Williams playing in the last year of their deals.

1.(31) DE- Datone Jones, UCLA (6'4, 280)
2. (37) NT/DE- Jesse Williams, Alabama (6'3, 320)
**trade 2nd round pick (61) and 3rd round pick f/m Car (74) to Cincinatti for the 37th overall pick

3a. (63) WR- Quinton Patton, Louisiana Tech (6'2, 195) f/m KC
3b. (93) WR/PR- Ace Sanders, South Carolina (5'8, 175)

4a. (125) OC- Brian Schwekne, Cal (6'3, 307)
4b. (130) OLB- David Baas, Missouri Western (6'5, 275) Comp.

5. (150) OT- Luke Marquardt. Azusa Pacific (6'9, 322) f/m Indy
[ Edited by SteveYoung on Feb 18, 2013 at 7:34 AM ]
I could live with this. Not a huge fan of resigning Goldson, but it looks like you've moved him to SS since you signed Woodson. I could live with that since Woodson is better in coverage than Goldson and SS seems to be a better position for him. Good draft as well although Im not sure I would take two WRs in 3rd. Maybe a CB/FS instead. Good job!
Pretty solid offseason! Good job
The only thing is I would def try to grab a cb and s along with a kicker
Originally posted by njniner499:
Pretty solid offseason! Good job
The only thing is I would def try to grab a cb and s along with a kicker

I thought about S and CB but with Brown being extended, Rogers having three more years on his deal ending in 2015 and Culliver having two more years on his deal ending in 2014 I just didn't see the need. If a guy was available who would be an upgrade then sure. I just dont see it.

As for safety. Goldson is the long term guy at SS. He belongs there. I signed Woodson for 1 season as a veteran stop gap. I thought about grabbing a FS instead of one of the receivers in round 3 but I thought WR and PR was a much bigger need than FS. I think FS is one of the easiest positions to fill and with a good pass rush, you can make a marginal safety look like an All-Pro. As for WR, Manningham is in his last year as is Kyle Williams. Moss will likely leave after a poor Super Bowl week leaving us very thin. I still have hopes for AJ Jenkins and it looks like he knows what he needs to do this offseason but we need more guys at the position. I just cannot see us shelling out top dollars for a FA WR. That will not happen. We may get a vet to replace Manningham if we release him but it will be a Dominik Hixon type guy. Not a Mike Wallace/Greg Jenning type.

In this scenerio, our only major needs after NEXT season would be a FS and C if the team is not high on Looney, which I think they are.

Get some re-inforcements in at DL and a backup type pass rusher and a few WR's and we are set.

As for K, you are right. I have us signing Phil Dawson. Im not sure we want to go into the season with a rookie K
[ Edited by SteveYoung on Feb 18, 2013 at 7:35 AM ]
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
Re-sign- Dashon Goldson 5yrs, Delanie Walker 3yrs, Issac Sopoaga 1 yr
Lost: RJF, Randy Moss, Ted Ginn
Cut: Donte Whitner (gave up more TD's than any safety), David Akers
Trade: Alex Smith and our 5th (#157) to the KC Chiefs for a 2013 3rd round pick (63rd overall)
Sign: FS- Charles Woodson 1 yr, 4M, QB- Josh Johnson 1 yr, 800k and K- Phil Dawson 3 yr, 6M
Extend: Tarell Brown 5 yrs

Draft:

We need to get some re-inforcements for the D-line ASAP. I think this is Cowboy's last season. And I have Issac signed for only 1 more season as well. We also need to find a few WR's with Manningham and Williams playing in the last year of their deals.

1.(31) DE- Datone Jones, UCLA (6'4, 280)
2. (37) NT/DE- Jesse Williams, Alabama (6'3, 320)
**trade 2nd round pick (61) and 3rd round pick f/m Car (74) to Cincinatti for the 37th overall pick

3a. (63) WR- Quinton Patton, Louisiana Tech (6'2, 195) f/m KC
3b. (93) WR/PR- Ace Sanders, South Carolina (5'8, 175)

4a. (125) OC- Brian Schwekne, Cal (6'3, 307)
4b. (130) OLB- David Baas, Missouri Western (6'5, 275) Comp.

5. (150) OT- Luke Marquardt. Azusa Pacific (6'9, 322) f/m Indy

According to the old draft value chart, that would work
But if you use the new draft pick value calculator, we would need to give up more to move up that far
Really like this draft, if Patton does not rise out of reach and Datone makes it to 31st pick. Seems many mocks are putting Jones in that spot, but according to the CBS list of prospects many of your guys will be off the board at the picks you indicate...for what that's worth.
Where did the 2nd, 4th-rd pick come from?
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Where did the 2nd, 4th-rd pick come from?

Comp
Originally posted by NinerFan408:
According to the old draft value chart, that would work
But if you use the new draft pick value calculator, we would need to give up more to move up that far

Ok. Well we can give our 5th and 6th if needed. We will have 14 picks. Plenty enough to move up
The Niners would have to move up to get Datone. Think about it: DE is an "elite" position. Arguably, the most important after the QB. Any DE who be good enough prospect to be the replacement for Cowboy after one year, will not be there at #31.

Also the move up in the second will take more points as already mentioned.

What about someone like Rambo in the third to develop? The Niners need to keep the backfield production line moving for the future. None of their present back-ups are that great, so a guy at that position within the first four rounds makes more sense than over stocking at WR (and not being able to justify a roster spot for that many WRs).

Nice draft but I rather use the 3b pick on a corner/safety. Its a good year to draft one.
I think Delanie and Sopoaga go also, the money issue is bigger then we think. That's why they stock piled all these picks. I'm ok with your offseason plan, but I don't think that's a likely trade with Cincinnati. We'd have to give up more to get #37. That pick is only a few picks from our first round pick. DT seems to be a strength in this years draft, I think we should definitely be looking at one.
i like it except im not a big fan of ace sanders...at least not with a 3rd. Would rather get a CB in the 3rd to cover the slot. But overall good job
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
I think Delanie will also walk for more money.. Soap will stay and agree to a much more affordable price..

As much as I like Delanie, the guy drops too may balls..

As for drafting a CB, i really feel that we wont be doing that until around 3rd..

I can live with signing Woodson for 2 years and have him play the FS position, then even move Rogers there once in a while..
I think we need to restructure Rodgers contract or let him go. We also need to draft a CB
Share 49ersWebzone