There are 162 users in the forums

What to do with all of those picks?

It seems that the overwhelming consensus is that the Niners will not be adding 13+ players to their roster, plus veteran FA.

I have several running theories about what the Niners will do on draft day.

1) Combine multiple picks to move up: 2nd + 4th = higher 2nd
2) Trade picks this year for draft picks next year: 2013 5th for 2014 4th?
3) Combine Alex Smith with picks to move up: Alex + 3rd = 2013 2nd???

But what about another scenario. Last year, the Niners traded players for late round picks. What if they reverse that scenario this year and trade late round picks for players? I think picks always carry more perceived value, but players like Larry Grant were signed for inexpensive deals and made solid contributions.

What are your theories for Baalke's draft day maneuvering?
Trade some of those picks for next years picks.
Sign Greg Jennings, cut Ginn and draft a serviceable returner.
What do we do with all of them? 2 Wideouts, 2 D-line, One legit Center prospect or backup OT, A future free safety, CB depth, a kicker...thats 8 players if we do not pick up any free agents. Use the remaining 5 picks to move up when needed to get your man and take a late round flyer or two on a guy who falls and QB to develop into Kaep's back up of the future.
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
What do we do with all of them? 2 Wideouts, 2 D-line, One legit Center prospect or backup OT, A future free safety, CB depth, a kicker...thats 8 players if we do not pick up any free agents. Use the remaining 5 picks to move up when needed to get your man and take a late round flyer or two on a guy who falls and QB to develop into Kaep's back up of the future.

Sounds good to me!
Doubtful the team will have ten plus draftees join the team, so I expect them being very active moving up and down the board. Expect some picks being traded for future picks.
Originally posted by gold49digger:

This would be great! Don't forget: Draft a DE and someone for the defensive backfield would be nice.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Doubtful the team will have ten plus draftees join the team, so I expect them being very active moving up and down the board. Expect some picks being traded for future picks.

MD, I have a great deal of respect for your Big Board and with the amount of time you put in to watching college ball. I actually put more faith in what you, Phoenix and AB have to say than guys like Kiper. With that said, do you really think we can trade into the 2014 draft, with as little talent out there this year? It seems everyone knows this isnt going to be a great draft, are other clubs willing to give up picks in what will likely be a better overall draft class next year to pick up extra guys this year? I would love it if that were the case, just wondering your thoughts on the matter. Other draft gurus as well.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Target the 1st/2nd/3rd/4th and 5th rounds to pick players. Package our other picks with picks in those 5 rounds to move up to take targeted players. Save one of those picks to take a kicker in the 6th/7th round.

You don't want Jennings. Why? #1 Not exactly a good team player. Will complain when he doesn't get the ball. #2 Inconsistent production. See stats. #3 Hurt A LOT. See stats.
As far as the picks, use them to move around the draft and get what/who you want. I also have no problem turning them into better picks for next year since ours will be late round for the forseeable future.

After watching a bunch of the niner and Kap highlights over the season, I've come to the conclusion that the niners should simply focus on defense and special teams. The defense (as seen over the last few games) has become extremely porous with the lack of pass rush and CBs that cant defend much.
The other huge thing we need is a PR/KR. We had terrible production from both last year. Ginn was useless except for a few sparks here and there and the same with the KR. LMJ was simply not that great barring a few returns. We need something explosive there. Ace Sanders or someone who could fill that void in the 3rd round would be perfect.
Lastly, needless to say, we HAVE to draft a Kicker, if there is a reliable one available there. Otherwise we'll have to hit FA for that.

On offense, we need a few things (but they're all secondary). A big WR (for the RZ). I think that with Manningham and KW coming back, we'll have everything we need for Kap. We could get some serviceable backup WRs for injury purposes, but otherwise not much. We however, do need decent backups to OT and OG and a starting C replacement.
[ Edited by deepniner on Feb 18, 2013 at 10:34 AM ]
We have no room for 14 rookies trade down.
Draft rookies.
Can't afford him.
Draft a crapload of players, trade some picks away, trade down a few times here and there...etc.

49ers could add a great deal of rookies to this roster because of all the potential losses in free agency. I don't have a problem seeing them add about 9 players and then racking up some picks for next year.
Share 49ersWebzone