LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 285 users in the forums

with our number 31 pick Zack Ertz would make offense explosive

And sorry I dont see Ertz having the versitility as Walker and what he allows our offense to do. Contrary to what people want to believe Walker started with the first team offense dam near every game and both he and Davis had drops. Maybe Ertz has better hands but he would definetly shrink the field and when you factor in Walker speed and special teams play, I wouldnt waste a first pick on a TE when we have two good ones on an already explosive offense. They just have to get used to actually catching balls in game situation after years without that.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by mayo49:
We need a reciever not a TE.

TEs are receivers.

I'm fine with Eifert or Ertz at # 31... and I'm one of the Datone Jones/Floyd advocates... but we could use a more dynamic # 2 TE to cause mismatches along with VD.

Tell that to Walker plz,
Too many more important needs. DL, CB, OLB, S... We can get a backup TE in the mid rounds.
I like Ertz, but I think Eifert is a more complete TE out of the two. Also ND TE have been more productive in the NFL over the last few years. So if I had my choice I'd have to go with Eifert.
Originally posted by D-NOTTE:
And sorry I dont see Ertz having the versitility as Walker and what he allows our offense to do. Contrary to what people want to believe Walker started with the first team offense dam near every game and both he and Davis had drops. Maybe Ertz has better hands but he would definetly shrink the field and when you factor in Walker speed and special teams play, I wouldnt waste a first pick on a TE when we have two good ones on an already explosive offense. They just have to get used to actually catching balls in game situation after years without that.

You are making the OP's point. The Niners use 2 TE sets all the time. Walker is a FA, and would command more than the niners want to pay. Ertz would have a cap friendly rookie deal. The offense needs two quality TE's. Especially if Defenses start mimicking Baltimore and bringing 6 rushers, dumpin off to TE's would prevent defense from pinning their ears back.
Tight ends and running backs rarely make the first round anymore. There is quality in the third and fourth rounds. The D-line an wide-outs take precedence.
id rather go with fauria in later rounds
I wouldn't be upset about Ertz in the 1st round. He's the most complete of a player at tight end in this draft and if they were to select him, I'd be guessing that they didn't have the DL prospect that they wanted and that nobody available at that point provided good value. If Walker doesn't re-sign, then that would be a valuable weapon for the offense.

It all comes down to the situation during that point in the draft, who is available, what the best available player is, which pick would represent the most value...etc....
Am I being too greedy to want Ertz regardless if we resign Delanie Walker or not? However I am realistic to realize that if we resign Walker, we aren't using that first pick on a TE.
Originally posted by D-NOTTE:
Offense is already explosive. We need our Def to stop somebody.. perhaps a cornerback or a young bull for more pressure in the middle. Starting with the seattle game teams passed the ball up and down the feild on us at an alarming rate.

Hallelujah. pass rusher and/or d-line + CB + KR + Kicker - thats our immediate need. Everything else is secondary. And sign D-Walker cause he's got speed and good receiver hands (except for the dropsies) and you wont easily find that as a replacement.
[ Edited by deepniner on Feb 18, 2013 at 10:40 AM ]

• 9moon
  • Veteran
If we don't move up in the draft and go after the player that we really want, then you may as well see the "passing of the torch" to Seattle in our division.

Any player we draft at the 31st position will be a backup and wont be much help. Seattle are game day focus away from taking over this division if we don't make a move on those play makers..

The Rams are slowly creeping up on everyone as well.. I believe they have two 1st rounders this year that can provide help that would make them a very very dangerous team for years to come. This is why I didnt want Fisher for St Louis, he knows how to build a team w/in a blink of an eye.

And if Arizona can land a top notch QB, then heck, our division may as well go on PAY PER VIEW!!!
Share 49ersWebzone