There are 61 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

I Would trade down from 31 and gain an extra 3rd Rounder

IF we trade out of the 1st round, I would want it to be for an extra 1st rounder NEXT year. (An idea I'm actually leaning towards considering how late we pick in the draft anyway.)
[ Edited by DarkShinobiX on Feb 16, 2013 at 5:39 PM ]
I'm all for it unless they move up to take an impact player. There's not must chance of them going into the top ten, but they could put a package for someone in the twenties or even teens with their first and second. Trading back sets us up for next years draft, however, if Baalke and Coach believe there is someone that puts us over the top I say go for it.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
I'm all for it unless they move up to take an impact player. There's not must chance of them going into the top ten, but they could put a package for someone in the twenties or even teens with their first and second. Trading back sets us up for next years draft, however, if Baalke and Coach believe there is someone that puts us over the top I say go for it.
I think we will have a very intense 2nd round this year just like last year the 3rd round was endless for us The 3rd is also where we started getting all our picks from. I think we will keep our 1st unless some team offers us the house in return. Then the 3rd we will address almost all our issues and 4th will be our kicker. From there we will start trading and looking for steals. My guess is we will come away with 8 picks (1,3,3,3,4,4,5,6) and 7-8 picks to go into next year. So we might have (3) 2nd rounders next year and (3) 3rd rounders, with (2) 4 rounders and who cares after that point since 5th thru 7th is just crap shoot picks anyways. Again this is just a guess and a pipe dream. It would make me happy though.
[ Edited by juycho on Feb 16, 2013 at 7:31 PM ]
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
The only way I trade out of the 1st round is if the player(s) we targeted is no longer available.. other than that, we, being a Super Bowl contending team SHOULD move up and go after the player that we really want.
The niners have quite a few open spots, or spots open for competition this year, so I would like to see them maximize their high value picks. There are also many good players at positions of need for the niners--DL and S. So I would trade as many late round picks as possible to move up-combine picks to get more 2nd, 3rd or 4th rounders.

Having the second to last pick makes it tricky to trade down for a first next year, but it's been done before. Could possibly be part of a player plus pick trade. Not sure of the value balance but perhaps Smith, our first and second this year for KC's firsts this year and next. We could then get that pass rusher or DT everyone knows we need and be set up for next year, while KC would get three building blocks.
Originally posted by NinerG94:
The only way I would trade out of the first round is to pick up an extra first for next year. I love the option of having two first round picks. You can pick two guys or trade out for another first until there's two guys worth drafting in that round. The Patriots have made a living off doing this and so have we in recent years.
Agreed! A #1 next season is the only reason I'd trade out of 31st spot this year, and I'm not too hot on that either. Our first 2 picks should be on the D-line - NT and DE, respectfully. It's been a long time since we really addressed the 0-technique, and Cowboy realistically has about two seasons left so we need to get an hair apparent he can mentor.
We will have a glaring need for a DT with the possible loss of Sopoaga & RJF. I would think we will take a long hard look at trading a package of picks to move up in the 1st rd to get one of the big bodied DT's in THIS years draft. We are coming off a trip to the NFC Championship game in 2011 and a SUPERBOWL appearance, last year. I think we should address this situation before the draft with a FA pick up (i.e. Sammy Lee Hill, Henry Melton, or Chris Canty). I would love it, if Sopoaga would re-sign with a team friendly contract but, I don't see that happening. It's never good to go into the draft with such a glaring need (it causes teams to reach for a need, instead of draft the BPA). In the draft we should be able to pick up a big bodied DT with at least 4-5 of them looking very capable of turning into starters at the next level. We also need to address the safety position as well as SP (return man) and one of the top 2 kickers. We certainly have enough draft picks this year to maneuver and get the players we identify. We still have the Alex situation to deal with...I know everyone is saying don't trade him within the division (Cards) but, I think that's exactly what we should do. Hear me out...I would propose to trade Alex and a 2nd or 3rd pick to the Cards for Patrick Peterson. This will upgrade our secondary and SP (return man), free up some salary to re-sign some of our key FA's (Sopoaga, RJF, Goldson, etc...) We have a very talented team based on where we finished the last 2 years. I also, believe we have that quick strike ability with Kaep at QB, this could/should give us the ability to play from ahead, which most likely will require teams to throw the ball more often to try to keep up. We need to be ready for this transition with our secondary. We were only 4 yards from bring the Lombardi back home!
^^Baalke usually does fill immediate needs through free agency and I would expect this year will be no different.
Originally posted by sf1974:
We will have a glaring need for a DT with the possible loss of Sopoaga & RJF. I would think we will take a long hard look at trading a package of picks to move up in the 1st rd to get one of the big bodied DT's in THIS years draft. We are coming off a trip to the NFC Championship game in 2011 and a SUPERBOWL appearance, last year. I think we should address this situation before the draft with a FA pick up (i.e. Sammy Lee Hill, Henry Melton, or Chris Canty). I would love it, if Sopoaga would re-sign with a team friendly contract but, I don't see that happening. It's never good to go into the draft with such a glaring need (it causes teams to reach for a need, instead of draft the BPA). In the draft we should be able to pick up a big bodied DT with at least 4-5 of them looking very capable of turning into starters at the next level. We also need to address the safety position as well as SP (return man) and one of the top 2 kickers. We certainly have enough draft picks this year to maneuver and get the players we identify. We still have the Alex situation to deal with...I know everyone is saying don't trade him within the division (Cards) but, I think that's exactly what we should do. Hear me out...I would propose to trade Alex and a 2nd or 3rd pick to the Cards for Patrick Peterson. This will upgrade our secondary and SP (return man), free up some salary to re-sign some of our key FA's (Sopoaga, RJF, Goldson, etc...) We have a very talented team based on where we finished the last 2 years. I also, believe we have that quick strike ability with Kaep at QB, this could/should give us the ability to play from ahead, which most likely will require teams to throw the ball more often to try to keep up. We need to be ready for this transition with our secondary. We were only 4 yards from bring the Lombardi back home!
Agree with everything but the bold. The Cardinals FO would have to be drunk and high on drugs - not to mention desperate - to make such a boneheaded deal (that is, bonehead on the Cardinals part). A deal like that would be the only way I can imagine Trent Baalke trading Alex within the division.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Agree with everything but the bold. The Cardinals FO would have to be drunk and high on drugs - not to mention desperate - to make such a boneheaded deal (that is, bonehead on the Cardinals part). A deal like that would be the only way I can imagine Trent Baalke trading Alex within the division.

I know our FO doesn't favor trading within our division (neither do I) but, this serves both teams well. The cards would address their glaring need at QB and receive an additional 2nd or 3rd pick to address the loss of Peterson and we get a quality cover corner and return man. I do not see a CB in this years draft in the 2nd or 3rd range that could have the immediate impact (or future impact due to Peterson's youth). I also, don't see an immediate impact QB in this draft (which helps the decision process for the cards). This would free up the Cards to upgrade their horrendous OL situation (if done, Alex should benefit). Just thinking of ways to improve our team using the assets we have at our disposal.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Agreed! A #1 next season is the only reason I'd trade out of 31st spot this year, and I'm not too hot on that either. Our first 2 picks should be on the D-line - NT and DE, respectfully. It's been a long time since we really addressed the 0-technique, and Cowboy realistically has about two seasons left so we need to get an hair apparent he can mentor.

Our first two picks should be used on the best player available at a position of need.

Getting a starting nose tackle with one of the first two picks should not be a problem.

But, but finding a quality 3-4 defensive end with one of the first two picks, might be a problem.
  • buck
  • Veteran
I know our FO doesn't favor trading within our division (neither do I) but, this serves both teams well. The cards would address their glaring need at QB and receive an additional 2nd or 3rd pick to address the loss of Peterson and we get a quality cover corner and return man. I do not see a CB in this years draft in the 2nd or 3rd range that could have the immediate impact (or future impact due to Peterson's youth). I also, don't see an immediate impact QB in this draft (which helps the decision process for the cards). This would free up the Cards to upgrade their horrendous OL situation (if done, Alex should benefit). Just thinking of ways to improve our team using the assets we have at our disposal.

The Cards simply are not going to trade Patrick Peterson.

You are waaaaay over rating Alex. And you are really, really under rating the intelligence of the Cardinals FO. They could be the dumbest FO in the league and they would still not make that trade.

I've read you making this suggestion in several threads and have been stunned speechless at the audacity of this proposition. Why don't the Niners just trade Chad Hall and Kyle Williams for Larry Fritzgerald, straight up? That's the level of nonsense that's being proposed here.

A lot of people with unrealistic expectations, and a complete set of blinders on, will be receiving a real wake-up call when the window opens for trading players.
Originally posted by DarkShinobiX:
IF we trade out of the 1st round, I would want it to be for an extra 1st rounder NEXT year. (An idea I'm actually leaning towards considering how late we pick in the draft anyway.)

This is a move for the future that shows some foresight.

Setting your team up with stockpiles of high draft choices in every draft is a tactic that New England (a very well run franchise IMO) employs. And one has to get started on this strategy sometime and then keep the ball rolling.

However this avenue should only be pursued if there isn't a player that the team absolutely covets on the board when the time comes to pick. Then you've got to take the player. But if the guy you want isn't there, then yes, absolutely. Of course you have to find a willing trade partner, etc. In the past the Niners have been willing tomake such trades but have not found willing takers. For example, the year that Atlanta moved up to take Julio Jones, the Niners were looking to do something similar with Altanta.

So a lot of things have to fall right. But if it works out that way, shore up your areas of need this year through free agency and set yourself up come draft day. A lot can become clearer after we see what the Niners do in free agency. But I like the concept.
How can we say that we would make this trade when the draft isn't happening yet.. We don't know who will be available @ 31, it could be someone who we have ranked very highly.. Too early to even think about this imo.. Whether we trade down/up or stay put is all based on the situation and i believe we will get it right... This draft will be critical going foward i think we can all agree..
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home