There are 250 users in the forums

I Would trade down from 31 and gain an extra 3rd Rounder

Now I know the 49ers already have 14 picks but only 6 of those are in the top 4 rounds and the other 8 are 5th round & lower. I would trade down in the 1st round and gain an extra 3rd rounder, Say we dump the 31st for say #45 but pick up an extra 3rd, there is not much talent drop from 31 to the mid 40's idt. We have huge impending FA's to be in Kape & Crabs so we will be getting rid of salaries in order to resign them so I consider the 1st 4 rounds of each draft as starters and round 5 on as depth, We need starters & depth so the more picks in the top 125 the better to me i think.
that could be good, 74th and 76th overall picks

Or we could trade down to 44th and have the 73rd and 74th picks in the 3rd
[ Edited by NinerFan408 on Feb 15, 2013 at 8:10 AM ]
The only way I would trade out of the first round is to pick up an extra first for next year. I love the option of having two first round picks. You can pick two guys or trade out for another first until there's two guys worth drafting in that round. The Patriots have made a living off doing this and so have we in recent years.
I really hate the idea of trading back this year. I would rather trade up. 14 picks, not including what we may or may not get for Alex is a ton for a team that doesn't need the fodder. I would package as many picks together as possible to move up as many times in as many rounds as we could. I'm not saying keep trying to move up in the 1st, but make as big of a go as possible for the first 1-3 rounds.
Originally posted by NinerG94:
The only way I would trade out of the first round is to pick up an extra first for next year. I love the option of having two first round picks. You can pick two guys or trade out for another first until there's two guys worth drafting in that round. The Patriots have made a living off doing this and so have we in recent years.

This is a better idea, if the Niners are looking to trade back.
[ Edited by m_brockalexander on Feb 15, 2013 at 1:31 PM ]
Originally posted by NinerG94:

This.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
This is a better idea.

I am almost always on board with this strategy. Unless a player we have ranked much higher in the first drops to us (a player like Datone Jones perhaps), it makes the most sense to trade back into the 2nd round and pick up a first next year. With so many draft picks at our disposal, we should be trading picks away for higher picks next year throughout the course of the draft. We should really be doing this each and every year. However, it makes so much sense this year because of the depth at positions of need in this draft. The difference between our 1st round pick this year and the rest of the second round talent-wise is so small.

Trading away our first for a late second and a first next year, or an early 2nd and a 3rd next year makes plenty of sense. Trading away one of our 3rds for a 2nd next year is also smart. Since our comp pick is likely to be a 4th rounder and not a 3rd, trading our own 4th for a 3rd next year is the next step, etc.

If we managed to accomplish all this (not out of the realm of possibility), we would be set up with 2 1sts, 2 2nds, and 2 3rds in next year's draft, plus we'd still have 12 picks in this year's draft.
I'd rather trade up...to get one of the stud DL that'll go earlier in the 1st rd. Getting a Jesse Williams or even Jonathan Hankins would be a huge jump-start toward beefing up our DL. Baalke should have at least 14 picks to work with...more if he can trade Alex. What're you saving those picks for if not to trade up to get some marquee players?
I would not trade up because we are gonna have a bunch of holes sooner rather than later, We can add a whole bunch of depth at crucial postions like the DLINE,Secondary,WR and a Pistol QB to groom to be Kape's backup and Offensive Tackle, Davis and Staley will need breathers and the more top 125 picks, the all that much better and stronger we sustain for the long run. There is no player worth trading up for in this draft, it is a very deep draft everywhere except QB but we just need a developmental type Qb who can learn to be Kape's backup only while they learn.
i believe that the niners have stockpiled all these picks to move up this year. they target people every year that they cant get to so this year they have plenty of ammo to make things happen, if they think they can get a guy a little later than 31 i wouldnt be opposed to trading back

• buck
  • Veteran
I think that we some of our late picks to move up.

Chicago, Tennessee, and New England only have five picks in the draft.
We could trade our 5th and two 6ths (about 65.8 points) to Chicago for their 4th round pick (about 66 points).

If we can trade Alex Smith to Oakland (pick # 66) or Arizona (pick # 69) for a third round pick, we would have three 3rd round picks.
We could one on them to move up in either the 1st or 2nd round.
[ Edited by buck on Feb 16, 2013 at 12:07 PM ]
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
I would not trade up because we are gonna have a bunch of holes sooner rather than later, We can add a whole bunch of depth at crucial postions like the DLINE,Secondary,WR and a Pistol QB to groom to be Kape's backup and Offensive Tackle, Davis and Staley will need breathers and the more top 125 picks, the all that much better and stronger we sustain for the long run. There is no player worth trading up for in this draft, it is a very deep draft everywhere except QB but we just need a developmental type Qb who can learn to be Kape's backup only while they learn.

Staley and Davis don't get breathers unless our D is on the field. But another tackle for depth wouldn't hurt.
[ Edited by SFrush on Feb 16, 2013 at 12:30 PM ]
We got enough 3's. WOuld love to trade down to high's 2's and add more 2's
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:

Really not one play worth trade up for. No one. First if a play they really like fall into the 20's someone they didnt think would be there they should try to trade up. I do not think 14 new player can make the team next year. They need to move around give up some pick this year and try to get more picks next year.
Anyone else notice that the 49ers seem to draft someone that plays in the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl in San Fran?

2010 Taylor Mays
2011 Kaepernick
2012 AJ Jenkins.

So who played in that game this past Bowl Season? I'm sure they'll draft someone from either NAVY or ASU Sun Devils.
Share 49ersWebzone